21 replies to this topic

#1 Alexmai

Alexmai

Prime Mover

• Members
  • 521 posts
  • Interests:Everything!

Posted 22 November 2017 - 10:03 AM

I'm a fan of Stephen King at least as I'm a fan of Rush.
When King said he's going to stop writing, he meant to stop publishing, because you can't stop doing a thing that is good for yourself.
I just read that Neil sold his personal drum kit.

It is possible to stop playing at all, if not because you can't phisically play?

Even in the black days, Neil didn't sold it. Why now?

And: to stop play live is one thing, to stop play at all is another... isn't it?

PS Stephen King is currently writing ;)

Edited by Alexmai, 22 November 2017 - 10:03 AM.

Sponsored Post

#2 J2112YYZ

J2112YYZ

The Sphere

• Members
  • 9895 posts

Posted 22 November 2017 - 10:10 AM

What's your source on Neil selling his drum kit? Also, after all these years i'm guessing he has more than one drum kit sitting around.

#3 Alien Girl

Alien Girl

Rushaholic

• Members *
  • 1869 posts
  • Interests:Interests?...I have no interests...I'm not an interesting person. Very one dimensional...like cardboard...or toast.

Posted 22 November 2017 - 10:32 AM

It is possible to come to hate that which you excel at.  Ask any child musical prodigy who completely gives up the instrument by the time they reach adulthood.  Ask any actor that completely gives up the Hollywood scene.  I'm not saying that's what happened w/ Neil.  But he seems pretty tired of it all...and he has certainly achieved a lot w/ his personal accomplishments.  And if he no longer can play like he used to I wouldn't doubt that he'd get rid of his personal drum set (if indeed he has).

#4 theredtamasrule

theredtamasrule

The Elitist Booby Type

• Members
  • 8920 posts

Posted 22 November 2017 - 10:40 AM

Source please.

#5 HemiBeers

HemiBeers

The Professor

• Members
  • 3860 posts
  • Interests:playfully annoying on the verge of inappropriate.

Posted 22 November 2017 - 12:50 PM

Yes it's entirely possible to give up playing a musical instrument. It's not like Food, Air or Water.

#6 New Digital Man

New Digital Man

Prime Mover

• Members
  • 583 posts

Posted 22 November 2017 - 01:51 PM

I wonder what has become of all the bands equipment, a decision of the future of it would have to be made at some point I imagine? Neil doesn't have a home studio so I guess his drums would be in storage with everything else!

#7 Wil1972

Wil1972

Superconductor

• Members
  • 1483 posts

Posted 22 November 2017 - 01:56 PM

Top men are working on this ...

https://i.imgur.com/nGCxLyi.gif

#8 EagleMoon

EagleMoon

Beauty and the Bass

• Members
  • 21806 posts
  • Interests:GUI and graphic design, writing, reading, hiking with my dog and photography.

Posted 22 November 2017 - 02:13 PM

I read about him selling his kit over a year ago. I don’t remember who said it except it was someone who should know.

#9 taurus

taurus

The Seeker

• Members
  • 283 posts

Posted 22 November 2017 - 02:25 PM

Here's what is happening.... Neil likes to challenge himself so this is part of the process. He has sold his drums, will not sit behind a kit for 10 years, let the absence make his heart grow fonder and then pick up the sticks again and teach himself the craft all over again - like a born-again virgin. After a year of practice he will call those men of Willowdale and say he's ready to go. So save your pennies for the Rush Reunion 2027/28

#10 theredtamasrule

theredtamasrule

The Elitist Booby Type

• Members
  • 8920 posts

Posted 22 November 2017 - 03:02 PM

View Posttaurus, on 22 November 2017 - 02:25 PM, said:

Here's what is happening.... Neil likes to challenge himself so this is part of the process. He has sold his drums, will not sit behind a kit for 10 years, let the absence make his heart grow fonder and then pick up the sticks again and teach himself the craft all over again - like a born-again virgin. After a year of practice he will call those men of Willowdale and say he's ready to go. So save your pennies for the Rush Reunion 2027/28

Yes and his drum seat will be a wheelchair.

#11 PolarizeMe

PolarizeMe

Vapor Trail

• Members
  • 18464 posts
  • Interests:NO FUN. NOT EVER.

Posted 22 November 2017 - 05:23 PM

I think the OP was referring to what Eddie Trunk said towards a fan question on his show (this might be from a speaking engagement he did actually) not too long ago...

Edited by PolarizeMe, 22 November 2017 - 05:29 PM.

#12 BenjaminW

BenjaminW

Restless Young Rushmantic

• Members
  • 75 posts
  • Interests:Music and History

Posted 22 November 2017 - 06:01 PM

View Posttaurus, on 22 November 2017 - 02:25 PM, said:

R53/54 it is then!

#13 Entre_Perpetuo

Entre_Perpetuo

Queenmaster

• Members
  • 3652 posts
  • Interests:QueenRushMuseYeah! Oh and MtG.

Posted 22 November 2017 - 07:17 PM

I'd rather he get rid of his kit and stop playing than let his diminishing abilities get to him the same way they got to Keith Emerson.

#14 patjnev

patjnev

Prime Mover

• Members
  • 554 posts
  • Interests:Music

Posted 23 November 2017 - 04:13 AM

:D-13: < Neil enjoying life

#15 edhunter

edhunter

Rushaholic

• Members *
  • 1787 posts

Posted 23 November 2017 - 05:04 AM

You'd think at this point in his life he'd just GIVE the damn thing away. Unless he's an utter moron with money he should be worth at least 20 million by now. What, did he put an ad on craigslist?

#16 Alexmai

Alexmai

Prime Mover

• Members
  • 521 posts
  • Interests:Everything!

Posted 23 November 2017 - 05:22 AM

View PostJ2112YYZ, on 22 November 2017 - 10:10 AM, said:

What's your source on Neil selling his drum kit? Also, after all these years i'm guessing he has more than one drum kit sitting around.

This forum is the source ;)

#17 Wil1972

Wil1972

Superconductor

• Members
  • 1483 posts

Posted 23 November 2017 - 08:52 AM

View Postedhunter, on 23 November 2017 - 05:04 AM, said:

You'd think at this point in his life he'd just GIVE the damn thing away. Unless he's an utter moron with money he should be worth at least 20 million by now. What, did he put an ad on craigslist?

From what I've read around here he must be a moron with money because apparently he blew a large chunk of it after his family passed away riding all over the North American continent and only returned to the band to replenish it.

#18 New Digital Man

New Digital Man

Prime Mover

• Members
  • 583 posts

Posted 23 November 2017 - 05:37 PM

View PostWil1972, on 23 November 2017 - 08:52 AM, said:

From what I've read around here he must be a moron with money because apparently he blew a large chunk of it after his family passed away riding all over the North American continent and only returned to the band to replenish it.
  I doubt that's true, he's not or ever was poor!

#19 edhunter

edhunter

Rushaholic

• Members *
  • 1787 posts

Posted 23 November 2017 - 06:29 PM

View PostNew Digital Man, on 23 November 2017 - 05:37 PM, said:

View PostWil1972, on 23 November 2017 - 08:52 AM, said:

I doubt that's true, he's not or ever was poor!

Poor, no. But he mentioned in Ghost Rider that he did not invest well in the 80's, and was beginning to outspend his interest in '99 or so.

#20 Justus_2112

Justus_2112

The Seeker

• Members
  • 271 posts
  • Interests:Music to the point that I am uninterested in sports.

Posted 24 November 2017 - 01:01 AM

View PostEntre_Perpetuo, on 22 November 2017 - 07:17 PM, said:

I'd rather he get rid of his kit and stop playing than let his diminishing abilities get to him the same way they got to Keith Emerson.

This is a good point. I'd rather him stop playing, than see him start to lose it and see something bad happen to him. He can live and die peacefully now, instead of living a chaotic life that one day catches up to him.

It's funny how a song they released in 1982 can have such relevance to them 35 years later.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users