RIP Malcolm Young

Boots

I'll never forget my first experience seeing AC/DC .. The Midnight Special on late night TV in 1978 - they played "Sin City" and while Angus was, of course, the center of attention, I couldn't help but notice "the other" guitar player - the guy that was back there and seemed to be driving the band ..

Also on the show that night were Ted Nugent and Cheap Trick - so between Angus, Nuge and Rick Nielson, there was some pretty big personalities there ..

As a painfully shy 11 year old kid who was starting out on guitar and wanting desperately to figure out how to be cool, Malcolm Young was hero to me ..

RIP Malcolm, and thanks

I remember that particular show well. I couldn't wait to see all of them that night. Boy what a different era that was...
  • Like 2

I'll never forget my first experience seeing AC/DC .. The Midnight Special on late night TV in 1978 - they played "Sin City" and while Angus was, of course, the center of attention, I couldn't help but notice "the other" guitar player - the guy that was back there and seemed to be driving the band ..

Also on the show that night were Ted Nugent and Cheap Trick - so between Angus, Nuge and Rick Nielson, there was some pretty big personalities there ..

As a painfully shy 11 year old kid who was starting out on guitar and wanting desperately to figure out how to be cool, Malcolm Young was hero to me ..

RIP Malcolm, and thanks

I remember that particular show well. I couldn't wait to see all of them that night. Boy what a different era that was...

.. and Aerosmith was hosting !! ... and if memory serves, Golden Earring was another one of the bands

At the time, I loved Ted and Aerosmith, and when I saw AC/DC, I was immediately hooked ..

Didn't Alex make a comment on it as well? I think I saw something on Rushisaband...

Can you imagine the jam session they're having somewhere right now? Malcolm, Lemmy, Dio, Bonham, Randy Rhoads...

Heavens best supergroup

Ray Gillan: Vocals

Randy Rhoads: Lead Guitar

Criss Olivia: Lead Guitar

Malcolm Young: Rhythm Guitar

Jon Lord: Keyboards

Cliff Burton: Bass Guitar

Eric Carr: Drums

Didn't Alex make a comment on it as well? I think I saw something on Rushisaband...

Can you imagine the jam session they're having somewhere right now? Malcolm, Lemmy, Dio, Bonham, Randy Rhoads...

Heavens best supergroup

Ray Gillan: Vocals

Randy Rhoads: Lead Guitar

Criss Olivia: Lead Guitar

Malcolm Young: Rhythm Guitar

Jon Lord: Keyboards

Cliff Burton: Bass Guitar

Eric Carr: Drums

That's both sad and awesome in equal measures!

AC/DC and RUSH were on a bill together 40 years ago.

November 16, 1977 Mid-Hudson Civic Center -- Poughkeepsie, New York (AC/DC)

November 17, 1977 Palace Theater -- Albany, New York (AC/DC)

November 18, 1977 Onondaga Memorial Auditorium -- Syracuse, New York (AC/DC, Crawler)

November 19, 1977 War Memorial Auditorium -- Rochester, New York (AC/DC, Walter Egan, Crawler) [AC/DC canceled]

Then of course they did the SARS benefit concert together.

July 30, 2003 Downsview Park -- Toronto, Ontario (Molson Canadian Rocks For Toronto (SARS Stock): Rush, The Rolling Stones, AC/DC, The Guess Who, Justin Timberlake, Sam Roberts, The Flaming Lips, Kathleen Edwards, The Isley Brothers, Sass Jordan, La Chincane, Dan Aykroyd and Jim Belushi)

• Like 2

Malcolm was yet another example of the difference between “virtuoso” and “great.” Malcolm was a great guitarist and songwriter, which is why so many songs he played a large role in creating will live forever.

My favorite story about him involved a young Tommy Lee running around biting people’s faces backstage. He approached Malcolm, who told Lee if he bit him Malcolm would “f*ckin’ kill you, mate.” Lee realized Malcolm wasn’t bluffing so Lee chose wisely.

I’m glad I saw him in 1981 at my first concert. RIP Malcolm.

• Like 2

AC/DC and RUSH were on a bill together 40 years ago.

November 16, 1977 Mid-Hudson Civic Center -- Poughkeepsie, New York (AC/DC)

November 17, 1977 Palace Theater -- Albany, New York (AC/DC)

November 18, 1977 Onondaga Memorial Auditorium -- Syracuse, New York (AC/DC, Crawler)

November 19, 1977 War Memorial Auditorium -- Rochester, New York (AC/DC, Walter Egan, Crawler) [AC/DC canceled]

Then of course they did the SARS benefit concert together.

July 30, 2003 Downsview Park -- Toronto, Ontario (Molson Canadian Rocks For Toronto (SARS Stock): Rush, The Rolling Stones, AC/DC, The Guess Who, Justin Timberlake, Sam Roberts, The Flaming Lips, Kathleen Edwards, The Isley Brothers, Sass Jordan, La Chincane, Dan Aykroyd and Jim Belushi)

I was talking to a friend a few days ago, and he said that the AC/DC SARS show blew everyone else out of the water. Even Rush and the Stones didn't cause that big reaction as they did.

Mind you, Rush was done with a big comeback tour at the time, and were taken out of hyatus for a one-off show, but that's not the point.

It was a Catholi

I remember that concert in 2003. I taped it. I was a rhythm guitarist too...in a church band. :)

It better have been metal! :haz:

Yes, because then it would have been a Metal Church.

It was a Catholic Church.

You can sign the guest book at the Sydney Morning Herald.

http://www.legacy.co...ences/187281443

Edited by Boots
  • Like 1

It was a Catholi

I remember that concert in 2003. I taped it. I was a rhythm guitarist too...in a church band. :)

So you're a Catholic then, like me?

http://static.panoramio.com/photos/large/94999760.jpg

It was a Catholi

So you're a Catholic then, like me?

Yes.

To give all of you non-Australian forum members an idea of just how important Malcolm Young was to Australia:

If you look at the DNA of any Australian born after 1974 under a microscope......it's held together by a Malcolm Young riff.

Rock in Peace Mal.

• Like 4

I still remember the first time I heard AC/DC.

One early morning in '79 in northern California, in sixth grade, the "bad kids" at my bus stop lured me to a nearby apartment to play hooky -- to skip out on school. The apartment was full of weed, Playboy magazines, and ... AC/DC.

My 11-year-old, innocent self was like, "Umm, no thanks. I'm gonna go. I have a test."

"BUT WAIT! WHAT'S THIS BAND??"

Fan ever since.

• Like 3