RIP Malcolm Young

Boots

AC/DC have existed as a band since 1973.

Malcolm retired from the band after 40 years. Sadly it was because of dementia.

Angus carried on with the band, but he's the remaining founding member now,

Bassist Cliff Williams retired from AC/DC last year.

Also with Brian Johnson and Phil Rudd gone, along with George Young passing on who helped the band, I think it's time for AC/DC to pack it in.

As I've said before, rock & roll should have a life span of 40 years and that's it.

I guess the naysayers are probably having a change of heart with Neil leaving from RUSH.

With all these recent classic rockers passing on as of late, Neil probably saw the light before and knew it was time to retire.

Edited by RushFanForever
  • Like 6

Also with Brian Johnson and Phil Rudd gone, along with George Young passing on who helped the band, I think it's time for AC/DC to pack it in.

As I've said before, rock & roll should have a life span of 40 years and that's it.

I guess the naysayers are probably having a change of heart with Neil leaving from RUSH.

With all these recent classic rockers passing on as of late, Neil probably saw the light before and knew it was time to retire.

They packed it in musically years ago. RIP

• Like 2

I was fortunate enough to see them once during the Bon era and twice soon after. I realize Angus was always the main attraction but as I recall I found myself watching Malchom much more. Boy was that guy a bundle of energy...RIP indeed
  • Like 8

They packed it in musically years ago. RIP

I guess I will never see them then. Thank goodness for youtube. I remember always hearing Thunderstruck whenever I went clubbing with my friends.

Oh no! This is such sad news. My one daughter was really into AC/DC for awhile and watched a lot of Youtube interviews. In the ones we saw, Malcolm was always very articulate and interesting; seemed like a gentle soul. Interesting contrast to him on stage.

R.I.P., Malcolm. Great songwriter also and you are gone too soon. :rose:

• Like 5

I met him and Brian Johnson in the Midland hotel bar in Manchester in January 1986. I can't say he was that friendly really, he spent the whole afternoon talking to his roadie. It was ok though me and my mates spent a few hours chatting with Brian who is a great guy.

RIP Malcolm

• Like 4

RIP.

While Angus, Bon then Brian where the charismatic show men of the band. Malcolm was always the quiet one who stood there and just kicked ass with his playing and backing vocals. Always came across to me as a very humble person. Which is pretty cool since he was such a huge part of a band that became so massive.

• Like 2

RIP to Malcolm Young. I know that everybody outside the main rock/metal communities are only aware of Angus' guitar talents and visage when it comes to AC/DC, but people should be aware of the fact that Mal actually taught Angus how to play guitar and if it wasn't for him, there would be no AC/DC. Alzheimers is a horrible disease, I personally wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy.
  • Like 2

I'll never forget my first experience seeing AC/DC .. The Midnight Special on late night TV in 1978 - they played "Sin City" and while Angus was, of course, the center of attention, I couldn't help but notice "the other" guitar player - the guy that was back there and seemed to be driving the band ..

Also on the show that night were Ted Nugent and Cheap Trick - so between Angus, Nuge and Rick Nielson, there was some pretty big personalities there ..

As a painfully shy 11 year old kid who was starting out on guitar and wanting desperately to figure out how to be cool, Malcolm Young was hero to me ..

RIP Malcolm, and thanks

• Like 10