17 replies to this topic

#1 daveyt

daveyt

Non Sequitur

• Members *
  • 8219 posts

Posted 08 October 2004 - 11:31 AM

Part 4: Birmingham NEC

So I got to the ticket station to but my train ticket to Birmingham, about an hour away. I put my bags down and got in line like everyone else and by the time I was buying my ticket, security was screaming for someone to claim these bags (mine were like the only ones left now) I was like “they’re mine” real nice and when they still wouldn’t stop clamoring I was like “give me a goddamned minute and I’ll get them!”  or something like that.

So I got on the train and had a nice relaxing trip and continued reading my American Soldier book by Tommy Franks. A book Indica would love on all counts. Looking out the window I would be seeing rush that night in the famous NEC Arena because that’s where they filmed A Show of Hands. Who wouldn’t be excited about that? I know I was and my ticket was pretty damned good too.

By the time we approached the outskirts of the city there was a stop called NEC and I knew there was hotel where everyone was staying but I needed cheap accommodations so I headed into the city. Birmingham looks a lot like any other industrial city in America. Kind of like New Haven.  062802puke_prv.gif I got a taxi and a phone book and to make a long story short, we found accommodations and they were really good (for me). It was in this really big house and like no one was in there at all. It’s like I had the whole place to myself. For about 20 euros I got a second floor room which was super tiny but I was just psyched because it had just enough room for two people  common001.gif .

I was so happy to have some privacy and just unpack, take a hot shower, etc. I got dressed and all pretty which takes forever these days because I have this thing of hair on the back of my head that always sticks out so I spend like 30 minutes trying to make it right. What a pain. So I get outta there by like 2 I guess and head to the NEC. Now don’t forget RushCon Europe is happening too but I don’t have a ticket but I remember my beer mate Analog Rockin Hard telling me I had to go to this event. I’d check it out if I could. I also wanted to see my buddy from Chicago, Steve so I was on the lookout.

I took the train back to NEC and got off and man I was getting hungry. I got in line at the terminal where they were making fresh sandwiches but everyone was getting a sandwich and I just couldn’t stand there for another 15 minutes. I walked around to figure things out and to get my bearings. Turns out this place is a huge complex kind of like a convention center with tons of suites and all that. I went outside to look for the hotel everyone was staying at and that looked like a hike. I went to find RushCon.

When I found the entrance I just kind of told them I didn’t have a ticket and this guy standing there was like “are you daveyt? And I was like yes! He introduced himself as GEBS and he gave me his wristband to get in and told the ticket guy to get me in there. I was floored. GEBS would turn out to be one of the coolest guys among the many I would meet on the Stalker Tour. He and his wife LINDA are from Scotland and they are just good people. Great people!

So I went to RushCon! I walked upstairs and dropped off my coat to none other than Analog Rockin Hard and as we chatted, this guy with a walkie-talkie came over and Rockin Hard introduced me….”hey Stew, this is Daveyt” and stew was like “Hey man!” and gave me a handshake and made me feel really important. I was so happy because I wanted to meet Stew for like forever (he runs the TNMS site and looks like Tom Green which makes everyone love him that much more. Stew is a really witty, funny guy and he made me even happier because the welcome I was receiving was really warm (don’t worry I’d wear it out soon enough with some people to my suprise!).

Well they were busy with their jobs so I kind of roamed around. The event was winding down as far as the merchandise goes but I was able to snag a pair of Stalker Shirts for a good price and I even met Bob (Bec) who was running the whole Stalker/RuchCon event. Wow. So I chatted with her for a bit and she was really nice and it was great to meet her (and another Stalker…btw she was the one who does the roll call so now I was accounted for).

I went to the back rooms down the hall and YYZ were rocking out playing Rush and there was a big crowd drinking and jamming and just hanging out. A bar for beers was open and they were serving the ubiquitous drink at all the events. Carlsberg. But these were warm Carlsbergs  062802puke_prv.gif . Yuck! So I hung out and watched the band and walked around and eventually when it was time to motivate and see Rush, I made some friends with this guy and his wifey and we had a nice conversation about our rush experiences. Then we motivated but not before an autographed PRS guitar was donated by Alex Lifeson to the event. That prompted some thunderous applause.

OK so we all motivated downstairs and out of the complex to head to the NEC arena which was like a five minute walk and part of the massive complex. And then I ran into my buddies! Rob Halford, Freddy Mercury, And College Dude!!! I thought I lost them forever and now I was the happiest guy in the world! I love these guys and so do you!!!! Then I ran into Steve so this night was looking good already. We were chugging our beers before we went in and I  just love these scenes where all these people are hanging out, happy to be there, hearing all these accents, meeting new people, etc. It’s the best. I was having a good time. We all made plans to meet and Steve and I went in and chowed down on some Shepard’s Pie in the NEC cafeteria. Of course we were pounding beers too.

So we all went into the arena and I was confused because when you watch the A Show of Hands video the place looks huge but it isn’t so I was like “huh? Oh well. Better for everyone. I went up to the tiered seats and hung out with the crew and went down to the floor to see if I could borrow a ticket stub for my buddy. No dice and that would be the last I would see of Steve for awhile (but he was OK). I said laterz to my other buddies and headed down to the floor. OK another beer run. I went to grab a couple and then ran into a cool kid hanging out on the concourse by himself smoking a cigarette so I decided to spark up a little cute joint I rolled up for the show with him and we had a nice conversation. I headed back in.

OK I was seriously f*cked up for this show between all the beer runs and all, I was stumbling-bumblin and almost ate it a couple times. I don’t have a lot of recollection of this show obviously! Mostly because this show and the next show kind of blend in together so I’ll leave the crazy shit for that show and that review. I think this is the show where I went up to Howard and complimented him in awe because I never had seen him at work and I was really impressed with his craft and what he does. It was cool to have the opportunity to tell him that.

OK after the show I guess I took the train back into town and I headed strait for downtown Birmingham to where I immediately hooked up with some young folks to see what the night-life was all about here. Dudes, they hooked me up well! We went to this underground dance club where there were all kinds of people getting f*cked up and pissed. It had this huge wooden dance floor that was wet with all kinds of various spillage with plastic cups all over the place. There must have been like 300 girls there so you bet I was priming myself to pimp this place hard. I hung out with my entourage for a bit and then went in for the kill on the ladies.

It was cool because they were like “where the f are YOU from?” and when I’d tell them they’d be like “???? Why the f*ck are you here???? LOL it was great….until I bought a couple drinks and as soon as I stepped onto the wooden floor my feet went bye-bye and I ended up in the horizontal position immediatey -not a lot of time to react- so just before I crashed on my side I was already in crash position to save those drinks. And I did! As soon as I ate it I was all smiles, drinks in hand, smile on my face. I got up hoping no one saw that and delivered the drinks to my friends. Hey everybody!  laugh.gif  

Yeah so I didn’t score but I had a great time until like 4am and then played killing for cabs for awhile until i got home and crrrashed. Ah, another day in the UK!

To be continued...

Sponsored Post

#2 Riv

Riv

Semper Fi

• Members *
  • 5980 posts

Posted 08 October 2004 - 11:58 AM

QUOTE (daveyt @ Oct 8 2004, 09:31 AM)

Yeah so I didn’t score

Jesus, bro! Do you ever? Come on down to San Diego...I know a nice place in Tijuana for ya.

#3 Digital Man

Digital Man

He's got a force field and a flexible plan...

• 8407 posts
  • Interests:My Beautiful Fiancee Sundog, all our kids, RUSH, cigars, beer, Tequila, RUSH, bbqing, snow skiing

Posted 08 October 2004 - 12:05 PM

Righty on Davey!  Sounds like you had a great time.  What a phenomenal experience.

#4 The Notorious B.S.G.

The Notorious B.S.G.

<harumph>

• Members *
  • 3139 posts

Posted 08 October 2004 - 12:19 PM

QUOTE (daveyt @ Oct 8 2004, 12:31 PM)
.....Yeah so I didn’t score...

Then, MAKE something up, bee-itch!  icon_really_happy_guy.gif  

#5 daveyt

daveyt

Non Sequitur

• Members *
  • 8219 posts

Posted 08 October 2004 - 01:11 PM

hehehe wait till you hear about glasgow. is there a private forum around here? let's put it this way: i definitly got my money's worth!

#6 daveyt

daveyt

Non Sequitur

• Members *
  • 8219 posts

Posted 08 October 2004 - 01:31 PM

...from all the drinks n' stuff i bought!   waffen093.gif

yeah yeah that's the ticket!  

#7 Moonraker

Moonraker

O_o

• Members *
  • 6362 posts

Posted 08 October 2004 - 01:38 PM

Lol, wait till Germany, I bet there are some more friendly people there.

#8 Moonraker

Moonraker

O_o

• Members *
  • 6362 posts

Posted 08 October 2004 - 01:38 PM

Crappo, where the hell did this come from.

Edited by Moonraker, 08 October 2004 - 02:53 PM.

#9 The Notorious B.S.G.

The Notorious B.S.G.

<harumph>

• Members *
  • 3139 posts

Posted 08 October 2004 - 02:13 PM

Double post, eh Moon? So THAT'S your secret?  pokey.gif  

#10 Riv

Riv

Semper Fi

• Members *
  • 5980 posts

Posted 08 October 2004 - 02:17 PM

QUOTE (daveyt @ Oct 8 2004, 11:31 AM)
...from all the drinks n' stuff i bought!   waffen093.gif

yeah yeah that's the ticket!

Lots of girls to "buy drinks for" in TJ.

#11 daveyt

daveyt

Non Sequitur

• Members *
  • 8219 posts

Posted 08 October 2004 - 02:23 PM

i wonder if my "girfriend" is still on that one corner.

#12 Riv

Riv

Semper Fi

• Members *
  • 5980 posts

Posted 08 October 2004 - 02:25 PM

QUOTE (daveyt @ Oct 8 2004, 12:23 PM)
i wonder if my "girfriend" is still on that one corner.

Dude, screw corners! Adelita's, bro. Good little joint called Adelita's....so I'm told.

#13 daveyt

daveyt

Non Sequitur

• Members *
  • 8219 posts

Posted 08 October 2004 - 02:29 PM

yeah but once in a while it's good to check out the scrubs

#14 daveyt

daveyt

Non Sequitur

• Members *
  • 8219 posts

Posted 08 October 2004 - 02:30 PM

...there's good value there!

#15 Riv

Riv

Semper Fi

• Members *
  • 5980 posts

Posted 08 October 2004 - 02:37 PM

QUOTE (daveyt @ Oct 8 2004, 12:29 PM)
yeah but once in a while it's good to check out the scrubs

Yeah, sure, if you want to go check out a free clinic 3 days later.

#16 daveyt

daveyt

Non Sequitur

• Members *
  • 8219 posts

Posted 08 October 2004 - 02:59 PM

ouch!

#17 Moonraker

Moonraker

O_o

• Members *
  • 6362 posts