STP new singer and album

custom55

Yes, Stone Temple Pilots have a new singer.

The new release sounds like old STP and Scott, and I like it, a lot. Fingers crossed X X X X

http://variety.com/2017/music/news/stone-temple-pilots-debut-new-singer-jeff-gutt-1202615358/#article-comments

• Like 4

singers for stp are like drummers for spinal tap.

it does sound like scott and rocks pretty good. nothing wrong with trying to have a replacement singer sound like the original...AIC for example. makes it easier to handle the older material.

Edited by HemiBeers
  • Like 3

nothing wrong with trying to have a replacement singer sound like the original...

Bands should be honest about how important a lead singer's voice and/or presence is. Fans bond with that voice - mentally and emotionally. If a band can get a new singer with a very similar voice, then that can extend the band's life for a long time.

• Like 3

it does sound like scott and rocks pretty good. nothing wrong with trying to have a replacement singer sound like the original...AIC for example. makes it easier to handle the older material.

I respectfully submit that in the case of AIC, Duvall sounds like Staley because Cantrell is still there to do the harmonies (think Yes in 1980...when Trevor Horn did the singing for Drama and people thought he sounded like Jon Anderson).

• Like 3

I'm a big fan of Alice In Chains 2.0, so to that end, maybe I should give STP 2.0 a chance.

• Like 1

I was thinking the same thing (AIC).

• Like 1

I respectfully submit that in the case of AIC, Duvall sounds like Staley because Cantrell is still there to do the harmonies (think Yes in 1980...when Trevor Horn did the singing for Drama and people thought he sounded like Jon Anderson).

Cantrell's role in the vocals and harmonies is often underrated/overlooked.

Edited by stoopid

I like it...I think this was the only sensible route they could have taken , given how crucial to their sound Weilands voice was...the big test will be live, as Scott was a tremendously charismatic performer....if he can bond with the fans then I think they will be set.
  • Like 2

I am optimistic. His voice sounds solid. I just hope the songwriting can get back on track. Their last record with Weiland was...let's just say extremely meh. I want to hear some harder and heavier STP again.

I think he sounds good.

Truthfully, I liked Core better than either Nevermind or Ten, all 3 of which seemed to come out (or at least broke) pretty close in time. I think STP had better songs, and I like Weiland’s voice better than Cobain’s or Vedder’s. I hope the rest of the album is well written.

• Like 1