Jacob Moons Cover of Time Stand Still

RUSHFREAK101

I've seen Jacob Moon live in concert a few times since 2009.

He's doing a concert next week nearby where I live in BC.

I hope he does the tune live.

Jacob told me that when he does covers, especially RUSH ones, that he puts his own spin on them.

As much as some fans expect him to perform them in the same arrangement as the original, it doesn't do justice for him.

We're talking about an individual who's influenced by RUSH, Marillion, Yes, Radiohead, Peter Gabriel, Jackson Browne, Tom Waits, Elvis Costello, Gordon Lightfoot, Neil Finn, and others.

Edited by RushFanForever

I really like this and i have played it three times before posting.The sign of a good song is when you strip it back to bare bones and it is just as good if not better than the original.I liked how Rush stripped back Resist for R30.Just one nitpick,he should have ferried in Aimee to do her bit,but hey its cool.

I like the 'human' key he's signing in, helps to accentuate the beautiful lyrics.

His Subdivisions cover is still better IMO.

Fellow musicians, how far did he step this down? Sounds like he dropped from A to D... ?

Yes,Subdivisions is a brave attempt.Lots of multitasking of stompboxes,loopers,guitars and mobile phones.Reminds me of a certain bass player hands full and feet antics

I like the 'human' key he's signing in, helps to accentuate the beautiful lyrics.

His Subdivisions cover is still better IMO.

Fellow musicians, how far did he step this down? Sounds like he dropped from A to D... ?

oooh yeah totally his version of subdivision is a killer cover

Jacob Moon explains how 'Time Stand Still' came together with David Barrett below.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K1gD6PSPAe0

In addition, here's a couple of videos below with Jacob discussing his cover version of 'Subdivisions'.

http://vimeo.com/16475815

http://vimeo.com/15678608

The difference is that Jacob doesn't utilize the 'Subdivisions' voice sample with his hand-held microphone. He now generates the sample on his pedal board.

Edited by RushFanForever

He replied to my (intended to be humorous) post on the video... he said it's dropped a minor third. If it was originally in A that would indeed be D*, but I honestly don't recall what key the song is in (I did need to know all the rhythm guitar and bass part at one point, long ago).

(*) Actually it would be F# [down the scale] or C [up]. Maybe one of the music gurus can explain this better, I only know it's three half steps.

Edited by stoopid

On his video for Subdivisions (the one for Rushcon on the boat) he tells the crowd how he met Neil and instead of asking for an autograph he got him to say Subdivisions into his dictaphone.Either thats a stretch or a cool story. Edited by grasbo

On his video for Subdivisions (the one for Rushcon on the boat) he tells the crowd how he met Neil and instead of asking for an autograph he got him to say Subdivisions into his dictaphone.Either thats a stretch or a cool story.

It's the truth. After the 2010 Canadian Songwriters Hall Of Fame ceremony, Jacob met with the guys backstage and asked Neil to say the word in the dictaphone.

This blows.

I love his cover of Subdivisions, but as much as I try to like it...I'm not a fan of this cover.

It sounded like "Time Stand Still" on sedatives.

For me it doesn't have the 'emotional intensity' of the original.

• Like 2

This blows.

I love his cover of Subdivisions, but as much as I try to like it...I'm not a fan of this cover.

It sounded like "Time Stand Still" on sedatives.

For me it doesn't have the 'emotional intensity' of the original.

I hear a different kind of emotional intensity but it only works because of the good song writing in the first place. That said I think I probably like his Subdivisions better likely because I prefer that song.

The original is in E major. Jacob's cover is in D-flat major.

I must admit, it sounds a little bit strange when I'm so used to hearing it in E, but D-flat does give it a bit more rich quality.