View PostRUSHHEAD666, on 03 October 2017 - 08:41 PM, said:

View Postgoose, on 03 October 2017 - 05:38 PM, said:

View PostRUSHHEAD666, on 03 October 2017 - 05:35 PM, said:

View PostLorraine, on 03 October 2017 - 09:18 AM, said:

View PostRUSHHEAD666, on 03 October 2017 - 01:51 AM, said:

By the way, I am conservative.

I am sure most of you know this.

Just sickened by today.

We have to stick together.   If they have it their way, they'll do us all in.
  I totally agree.  I want my United States Of America back!  Screw the Divided States Of America!!
Just what era are you referencing?

The modern Era, but yeah, this country will always be divided.
It's a big place with lots of geographical and cultural divides.  Which is an ok thing in my book.

Sponsored Post

#42 goose

goose

Honkin' in Nevada

• Members *
  • 53725 posts
  • Interests:Comical conies

Posted 03 October 2017 - 10:00 PM

View Posttreeduck, on 03 October 2017 - 09:49 PM, said:

I prefer the other MAN songs, Cinderella Man, Working Man and New World Man!
MANhatten Project...

#43 RUSHHEAD666

RUSHHEAD666

My name is Earl

• Members
  • 30019 posts

Posted 04 October 2017 - 12:11 AM

View Postgoose, on 03 October 2017 - 09:58 PM, said:

View PostRUSHHEAD666, on 03 October 2017 - 08:41 PM, said:

View Postgoose, on 03 October 2017 - 05:38 PM, said:

View PostRUSHHEAD666, on 03 October 2017 - 05:35 PM, said:

View PostLorraine, on 03 October 2017 - 09:18 AM, said:

View PostRUSHHEAD666, on 03 October 2017 - 01:51 AM, said:

By the way, I am conservative.

I am sure most of you know this.

Just sickened by today.

We have to stick together.   If they have it their way, they'll do us all in.
  I totally agree.  I want my United States Of America back!  Screw the Divided States Of America!!
Just what era are you referencing?

The modern Era, but yeah, this country will always be divided.
It's a big place with lots of geographical and cultural divides.  Which is an ok thing in my book.

Yep!  It's life!

#44 LeaveMyThingAlone

LeaveMyThingAlone

The Professor

• Members *
  • 3091 posts

Posted 04 October 2017 - 12:14 AM

Digital Man is a total miss in my book. I recall reading an interview with Terry Brown and this song is what probably finalized him leaving his relationship with the band: Rush spent forever in he studio perfecting it and Terry just wanted to move on. He felt it was not a song worth the time. I think he may have crossed a line with the band  and his opinion that the song was a dud. Again, this is something I recall seeing or reading quite a while ago.

Terry got it right IMO. It just doesn't go anywhere that's musically creative. Signals has some classics and real misses. I don't get he love for it...

#45 JARG

JARG

Pinky Moe

• Members *
  • 18890 posts
  • Interests:Cycling, guitar playing

Posted 04 October 2017 - 09:41 AM

View PostLeaveMyThingAlone, on 04 October 2017 - 12:14 AM, said:

Digital Man is a total miss in my book. I recall reading an interview with Terry Brown and this song is what probably finalized him leaving his relationship with the band: Rush spent forever in he studio perfecting it and Terry just wanted to move on. He felt it was not a song worth the time. I think he may have crossed a line with the band  and his opinion that the song was a dud. Again, this is something I recall seeing or reading quite a while ago.

I recall reading something similar. I seem to remember Terry saying he absolutely hated the "he's got a force field and flexible plan" part. He felt the music in that section totally sucked the energy out of the song.

#46 LeaveMyThingAlone

LeaveMyThingAlone

The Professor

• Members *
  • 3091 posts

Posted 04 October 2017 - 11:11 AM

View PostJARG, on 04 October 2017 - 09:41 AM, said:

I recall reading something similar. I seem to remember Terry saying he absolutely hated the "he's got a force field and flexible plan" part. He felt the music in that section totally sucked the energy out of the song.

I think Terry was absolutely right abiut that lol. That's the point I usually move on from the song.

He got a raw deal in his departure from the band but I can't blame a band like rush for wanting to take on new challenges and  trying to evolve. But how I miss the sweet crisp sound and production he obtained on Permanent waves and Moving Pictures. They were a great team. Every time I hear the horrible quality  on albums like presto, vapor trails, or clockwork angels I think about what terry brown may have done with it.

#47 LeaveMyThingAlone

LeaveMyThingAlone

The Professor

• Members *
  • 3091 posts

Posted 04 October 2017 - 11:17 AM

I think Terry was absolutely right about that lol. That's the point I usually move on from the song.

He got a raw deal with his somewhat unceremonious departure from the band but I can't blame a band like rush for wanting to take on new challenges and  trying to evolve. But how I miss the sweet crisp sound and production he obtained on Permanent waves and Moving Pictures. They were a great team. Every time I hear the horrible quality  on albums like presto, vapor trails, or clockwork angels I think about what terry brown may have done with it.

#48 HemiBeers

HemiBeers

The Professor

• Members
  • 3766 posts
  • Interests:playfully annoying on the verge of inappropriate.

Posted 04 October 2017 - 11:52 AM

Terry got it right IMO. It just doesn't go anywhere that's musically creative. Signals has some classics and real misses. I don't get he love for it...
Terry can suck it.

DM is one of the best tracks, and Alex solos, on Signals.

#49 GabesCavesOfIce

GabesCavesOfIce

The God Of Balance

• Members *
  • 6451 posts
  • Location:Miamisburg, OH. Miamisburg, Oh. Miamisburg, Oh. Miamisburg, Oh
  • Interests:Miamisburg, Oh

Outland Empire (located on the opposite US coast from Johnny and Dave).

Posted 04 October 2017 - 06:55 PM

View PostLeaveMyThingAlone, on 04 October 2017 - 11:17 AM, said:

I think Terry was absolutely right about that lol. That's the point I usually move on from the song.

He got a raw deal with his somewhat unceremonious departure from the band but I can't blame a band like rush for wanting to take on new challenges and  trying to evolve. But how I miss the sweet crisp sound and production he obtained on Permanent waves and Moving Pictures. They were a great team. Every time I hear the horrible quality  on albums like presto, vapor trails, or clockwork angels I think about what terry brown may have done with it.

I agree it's reasonable they wanted to work with others, but at some point, especially when  they were having difficulty finding their way away from the tinny and synth sound in the early 90s, they should have brought Terry back.

#50 Segue Myles

Segue Myles

Cupcake Warrior

• Members
  • 32227 posts
  • Interests:Lacuna Coil
    Nightwish
    Within Temptation
    The Juliana Theory
    REM
    Thrice
    Idlewild
    Jimmy Eat World
    HIM
    Paradise Lost
    AFI
    U2
    Bruce Springsteen
    Sonata Arctica
    Pearl Jam
    Biffy Clyro
    Placebo

Posted 05 October 2017 - 05:43 AM

One of the worst songs of Rush and a reason I do not rate Signals very highly.

#51 toymaker

toymaker

The God Of Balance

• Members
  • 5896 posts
  • Interests:Songwriting and recording, cycling, movies, guitar and bass collecting

Posted 05 October 2017 - 08:11 PM

One of Rush's best songs, and one of the eight reasons I rate Signals extremely highly.

:moon:

Edited by toymaker, 05 October 2017 - 08:12 PM.

#52 lifeson90

lifeson90

Superconductor

• Members
  • 1114 posts

Posted 11 October 2017 - 10:29 AM

Remember hearing Al's solo in Digital Man first time thinking 'Oh yes. This is it. WE HAVE ENTERED A NEW ERA'

#53 grasbo

grasbo

Prime Mover

• Members
  • 784 posts
  • Interests:Music,playing guitar,collecting models,recording,football,cricket,op shopping,chilli,garlic,anchovies,wasabi,mustard,oysters,mussells,beer,war gaming,model railroading,positive people,goldfish

Posted 11 October 2017 - 11:36 AM

In the solo section there are Geddy's bass lines that are very similar to Stings on Walking on the Moon.A very similar groove but a but faster.Of course Vital Signs was a sign of things to come but that had more dynamics than Digital Man.I remember when Walking on the Moon came out and I would hear it on the radio and say,great song,well played but nothing earthshattering.I still feel that way about DM. Love the track but it just flows on by.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users