ozzman cometh sharon sucks the madness now ends

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#21 Rod in Toronto

Rod in Toronto

Crushed in Rio

• Members *
  • 8618 posts
  • Interests:Running, music, movies, travelling, reading, food.

Posted 07 November 2017 - 11:46 AM

I never saw Ozzy solo, but that's the ONLY thing that would attract me go see him now.

Sponsored Post

#22 Todem

Todem

Brosaucerous

• Members
  • 2223 posts
  • Interests:Playing guitar, writing,recording and performing music, coaching and playing baseball, golf, tennis, stocks, playing video games, spending as much time as I can with my wife and son.

Posted 07 November 2017 - 12:43 PM

View PostAncient Ways, on 06 November 2017 - 08:35 PM, said:

Jacksonville?  That’s interesting.  Tempted but I saw him at the top (?) of his game in the 80s

Same here. Saw him on the Bark At The Moon tour and Ultimate Sin Tour.

JAKE E LEE RULES!!!!!

#23 djflex

djflex

The Professor

• Members
  • 3833 posts
  • Interests:Doing the tasks the voices in my head tell me to do

Posted 07 November 2017 - 09:54 PM

I wanna go because we all need more Ozzy in our lives

#24 goose

goose

Honkin' in Nevada

• Members *
  • 53807 posts
  • Interests:Comical conies

Posted 08 November 2017 - 08:25 PM

Looking forward to an Ozzy "Good Riddance" tour.  Enough, already.

#25 driventotheedge

driventotheedge

Rushaholic

• Members
  • 1777 posts
  • Interests:Riding my Harley (2006 Road King)
    Razor clamming
    The Seattle Seahawks

Posted 09 November 2017 - 01:35 PM

I'm going to pontificate a bit here so if you're not in the mood, skip this post.

First of all, I don't get the hate. Ozzy's voice has gotten better in the last 5 or so years since he FINALLY got sober. He also has quit cancelling shows since he FINALLY got sober. He always has a top notch bunch of musicians backing him solo and the shows, while not 3 hours are a decent length. His catalog is very worthy. Etc., etc., etc. You don't want to spend the coin to see him, fine. But if you think he's an addled old man that can't perform, you'd be wrong.

Now as for Sharon, hate her all you want but without her Ozzy would've been dead 20 years ago. And if you think it's her pushing him to perform still, you're not paying attention. He, like many of his contemporaries (McCartney, Jagger, et. al.) NEEDS the positive feedback of a live audience and of course enjoys making money too. Who doesn't?

Will he retire after this tour? Maybe, but if so I'm guessing it'll be about a 3-4 year process and frankly I don't know if he's capable of doing it particularly since his voice has gotten stronger as mentioned previously. And if he doesn't, he'll join himself, The Who, Kiss, et. al. in not actually doing so when they said they would. By now, if you're taking these "retirement" tours seriously from any artists, you've not been paying attention the last 20 years. Besides, who cares? If you like an artists and have the coin to spend on seeing them live, go for it. If you don't or can't afford it, stay home.

Edited by driventotheedge, 09 November 2017 - 01:38 PM.

#26 Rick N. Backer

Rick N. Backer

Loves that dirty water

• Members *
  • 21139 posts

Posted 09 November 2017 - 03:44 PM

I saw him on the Diary of a Madman, Bark at the Moon and Speak of the Devil tours.  I saw the Diary tour just weeks after Randy died, with Bernie Torme on guitar.  In his prime, Ozzy was about as good a showman as anyone.  Is he past his prime now?  Of course he is.  Will I go see him?  Yes.

#27 J2112YYZ

J2112YYZ

The Sphere

• Members
  • 9839 posts

Posted 09 November 2017 - 03:50 PM

The jokes come easy when talking about Ozzy. I can't speak for anyone else but I do it all in good fun and don't have any bad intentions. I don't doubt that he can still bring it live. My issue is that he's had the same setlist for 20 years now. He'll do the same ten or so solo tunes and the same three or four Sabbath ones and that's it. So my excitement to see him one last time isn't really there since I've seen him a number of times in the past.

I know there isn't anything else for the older rock stars to do except go out and tour. It's all they've done their whole lives and it's all they know. It's just the whole farewell thing has been done to death and nobody buys it.

#28 driventotheedge

driventotheedge

Rushaholic

• Members
  • 1777 posts
  • Interests:Riding my Harley (2006 Road King)
    Razor clamming
    The Seattle Seahawks

Posted 09 November 2017 - 04:47 PM

View PostJ2112YYZ, on 09 November 2017 - 03:50 PM, said:

The jokes come easy when talking about Ozzy. I can't speak for anyone else but I do it all in good fun and don't have any bad intentions. I don't doubt that he can still bring it live. My issue is that he's had the same setlist for 20 years now. He'll do the same ten or so solo tunes and the same three or four Sabbath ones and that's it. So my excitement to see him one last time isn't really there since I've seen him a number of times in the past.

I know there isn't anything else for the older rock stars to do except go out and tour. It's all they've done their whole lives and it's all they know. It's just the whole farewell thing has been done to death and nobody buys it.
Actually, much like Sabbath he'll throw in one and if you're lucky two surprise songs. But yeah, the rest will be familiar I fully admit that.

#29 J2112YYZ

J2112YYZ

The Sphere

• Members
  • 9839 posts

Posted 09 November 2017 - 07:25 PM

I don't think anyone here will be going to the Lisbon show but Judas Priest is opening for Ozzy that night.

#30 djflex

djflex

The Professor

• Members
  • 3833 posts
  • Interests:Doing the tasks the voices in my head tell me to do

Posted 09 November 2017 - 09:19 PM

Well, I guess part of my thought process is , who knows if I will ever get one last chance after this. If he close and I can afford it , I'm in. Not to be morbid , but with all the recent passing , I don't want to regret missing a show. Ozzy may be past his prime but he's still Ozzy ffs

#31 TexMike

TexMike

Superconductor

• Members
  • 1292 posts
  • Interests:Music, photography, travel

Posted 09 November 2017 - 09:52 PM

There's a rumor that his '91-92 tour was called a farewell because he had been misdiagnosed with MS and Sharon was afraid he wouldn't be capable of performing much longer.  I buy that because he was still huge and relatively young then.  His new album at the time (No More Tears) ended up selling like triple platinum.  He really had no need to play that card.

Now it appears he'll be touring without a new album.  That disappoints me, just like Sabbath did when they also didn't record anything new for a farewell and just played the same old songs.  I understand financially why artists do that, but I still hate it because I care more about new music than seeing a rehashed show.

And yeah, the main problem with live Ozzy is there's only a handful of songs he has the range to sing.  So you can pretty much predict the set list now.  The only question is how many of the Sabbath tunes will he throw in.

He's still a legend and people should go if they've never seen him, but it's definitely time.

#32 Jaminbenb

Jaminbenb

Solar Federalist

• Members
  • 2874 posts

Posted 09 November 2017 - 09:55 PM

View PostSyrinx, on 07 November 2017 - 11:12 AM, said:

I think I will pass.  He is one of those artists who I saw several times in their prime that just don't excite me about the prospects of seeing them anymore.  I was going to comment also - he retired around the same time as The Who.

I had the opportunity to see him on his first Blizzard of Ozz tour (With Randy Rhoads 1981) and thought it was amazing... I saw his return to Black Sabbath tour in 1999, and thought he should give it up after that. He was in pretty bad shape.

#33 J2112YYZ

J2112YYZ

The Sphere

• Members
  • 9839 posts

Posted 09 November 2017 - 10:41 PM

View PostTexMike, on 09 November 2017 - 09:52 PM, said:

There's a rumor that his '91-92 tour was called a farewell because he had been misdiagnosed with MS and Sharon was afraid he wouldn't be capable of performing much longer.  I buy that because he was still huge and relatively young then.  His new album at the time (No More Tears) ended up selling like triple platinum.  He really had no need to play that card.

Now it appears he'll be touring without a new album.  That disappoints me, just like Sabbath did when they also didn't record anything new for a farewell and just played the same old songs.  I understand financially why artists do that, but I still hate it because I care more about new music than seeing a rehashed show.

And yeah, the main problem with live Ozzy is there's only a handful of songs he has the range to sing.  So you can pretty much predict the set list now.  The only question is how many of the Sabbath tunes will he throw in.

He's still a legend and people should go if they've never seen him, but it's definitely time.

Whether Ozzy has new music or not doesn't matter because he wouldn't play any of it. He'll play whatever the lead single is and maybe one other that will be the follow up single and that's it. How many new tunes did Sabbath end up doing off 13? Three or four I think. It's been pointless for him to even have new material for almost 20 years now. I think it's a waste of time for anyone to record a new album and then not play a good chunk of it live. Why bother releasing anything but a couple singles if the bulk of the new material never makes the live set?

#34 TexMike

TexMike

Superconductor

• Members
  • 1292 posts
  • Interests:Music, photography, travel

Posted 10 November 2017 - 12:26 AM

View PostJ2112YYZ, on 09 November 2017 - 10:41 PM, said:

Whether Ozzy has new music or not doesn't matter because he wouldn't play any of it. He'll play whatever the lead single is and maybe one other that will be the follow up single and that's it. How many new tunes did Sabbath end up doing off 13? Three or four I think. It's been pointless for him to even have new material for almost 20 years now. I think it's a waste of time for anyone to record a new album and then not play a good chunk of it live. Why bother releasing anything but a couple singles if the bulk of the new material never makes the live set?

Well, you're right that he'd play very little from a new release live.  That's a given.  But like I said previously, I'd still be more interested in new music than another tour, regardless of whether he'd perform any of that new music at a show.  If an album is decent, I don't not listen to it simply because some or even most of it didn't get played live.

Sabbath's 13 wasn't ultimately quite as good (IMO) as any albums from their original era, but I'm still damn happy I got new music from a band that I love.  And for me, 4 new songs at a show is usually plenty.  That's how many Rush played per night on the VT tour.

The problem with Ozzy's "farewell" show is that we know he won't dig out rare gems from the back catalog (ala Rush on R40) because he's only comfortable singing a predictable batch of songs.  So without at least something new in the form of an album, it's a pretty anti-climactic way to go out.  Just my opinion.

#35 Union 5-3992

Union 5-3992

A Pale Boy with only Half a Brain

• Members *
  • 21099 posts
  • Location:The rich and sunny planet Ursa Minor Beta (or Buffalo NY)

Posted Yesterday, 11:07 PM

How many new songs did Sabbath even play on their last tour? Zero I think

#36 treeduck

treeduck

Tenacious T

• Members *
  • 83652 posts

Posted Yesterday, 11:14 PM

View PostJ2112YYZ, on 06 November 2017 - 10:35 PM, said:

View Postedhunter, on 06 November 2017 - 10:25 PM, said:

At this point can he do much more than stand there and drool?

I think he can still clap like he always does on stage.

#37 J2112YYZ

J2112YYZ

The Sphere

• Members
  • 9839 posts

Posted Yesterday, 11:15 PM

View PostUnion 5-3992, on 23 November 2017 - 11:07 PM, said:

How many new songs did Sabbath even play on their last tour? Zero I think

They didn't do anything off it as far as I know. Maybe they did one of them a handful of times but it wasn't anything regular. Everyone goes to hear the classics anyways, so I get the setlist choices. The diehards who enjoy everything and want to hear different stuff are few and far between at most arena rock shows.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users