Gods Of The Electric Guitar - FINAL ROUND

Lucas

Who Is The GOD Of The Electric Guitar  

40 members have voted

1. 1. Who Is The Greatest Electric Guitarist Of All Time ?

• Jimmy Page
    • Stevie Ray Vaughan
    • Ritchie Blackmore
    • Steve Howe
    • Jimi Hendrix
    • Alex Lifeson
    • Edward Van Halen
    • Tony Iommi
    • Brian May
    • David Gilmour

Jimmy Page finishing 4th is a bit of a disappointment for him though.

You probably forgot but he barely made the finals as it is. He squeaked in at the very last second.

Yeah but Page is a guy who usually tops polls like this with his Led Zep popularity.

Not this time duck !!!

And each receiving one vote, some of the most undeniably incredible guitarists

Stevie Ray ( Lucas )

2e136caa385ff293e9e152263e1eaf0a.jpg

Ritchie Blackmore ( Thirteen )

http://bravewords.com/medias-static/images/news/2015/55A25E78-former-deep-purple-guitarist-ritchie-blackmore-suing-for-more-than-1-million-in-unpaid-royalties-image.jpg

Steve Howe ( HemiBeers )

177.-Steve-Howe-1974-1207C_5a_6.jpg

Alex Lifeson ( tangy )

98738994_9225ffdf1a_z.jpg?zz=1

Tony Iommi ( J2112YYZ )

e298d7b3521470cdd2101f9142666bb7--tony-iommi-black-sabbath.jpg

David Gilmour ( Emotion Detector )

e0f97435d6d2be7a0228fcfab1aa69e9--david-gilmore-rockstars.jpg

• Like 1

Jimmy Page finishing 4th is a bit of a disappointment for him though.

You probably forgot but he barely made the finals as it is. He squeaked in at the very last second.

Yeah but Page is a guy who usually tops polls like this with his Led Zep popularity.

Not this time duck !!!

Next time hopefully the day will belong to Allan Holdsworth!

• Like 1

One thing that's been lost in all this is that the winner is a left hander! :sundog:

That's true !!

Off the top of my head, the lefties in the poll were Hendrix, Tony Iommi, and Dick Dale

In retrospect, Elliott Easton probably should have been in the top 120 - another leftie

• Like 2

One thing that's been lost in all this is that the winner is a left hander! :sundog:

That's true !!

Off the top of my head, the lefties in the poll were Hendrix, Tony Iommi, and Dick Dale

In retrospect, Elliott Easton probably should have been in the top 120 - another leftie

There's another leftie in the poll but can you figure out who it is??

• Like 1

I voted for Van Halen, and I think that's the "right" vote. However, difficult to argue with Hendrix winning.

Fair enough. But for all of Eddie's chops, the last 30 years sounded pretty much like the first 10 years. I think with the substance abuse, he also got creatively lazy. When people think Van Halen, they think of the first 10 years and that's it.

That's true, although he has largely been inactive with respect to new releases for about 20 years (other than releasing a number of old tunes 10 years ago with Roth).

But from 1978 to 1984 he did more to revolutionize the electric guitar than anyone, and I'd include Hendrix there. The 1980s are basically defined by him and a bunch of his imitators. As I've said a few times, there's a difference between playing Eruption, which a lot of people can do, and creating it, which one man did. And listen to the entire Fair Warning album. So many incredible moments, from the intro to Mean Street to the monster run at the beginning of Dirty Movies to the mood created by the intro to Hear About it Later to the main riff of Unchained.

A lot of the players had profound influences on my own approach to the guitar.

1) Alex Lifeson

2) Jimmy Page

3) David Gilmore

4) Edward Van Halen

Those 4 were monsters for me.

Edited by Todem
  • Like 2

That's true !!

Duck, I can't think of who it is !!

Albert King was leftie, but he was one of the last causalities who didn't make the 120

There is a pic of Charlie Christian in google that appears to show him as a leftie, but that pic is reversed - he was a righty

Is it someone who was left handed but who played a right handed guitar ??

That's true !!

Albert King was leftie, but he was one of the last causalities who didn't make the 120

There is a pic of Charlie Christian in google that appears to show him as a leftie, but that pic is reversed - he was a righty

Yeah Steve Morse is a leftie who plays right handed.

• Like 1

That's true !!

Yeah Steve Morse is a leftie who plays right handed.

Truth is, for Pop and Rock music it is better if a right handed person plays guitar left handed – with his/her dominant hand on the fret board. Take the reverse scenario: Some of the world’s very best guitarists are left-handers playing right handed guitar! Examples include Robert Fripp, Gary Moore, Eddie Van Halen, Steve Morse, Johnny Winter, and Herman Li. Why do you think they are all stand-out guitarists?

Holy crap, all these years and I never knew any of this !!!

• Like 3

I love hendrix as all good hippies do.

That said i have long thought anyone who died at their peak has an unfair advantage over those who lived and faded to mediocrity.

Jimi was so more than a guitarist. Killer vocalist and lyricist. A sex symbol. Master showman too.

Jimi is like eddie van halen and david lee roth in one man.

• Like 3

I love hendrix as all good hippies do.

That said i have long thought anyone who died at their peak has an unfair advantage over those who lived and faded to mediocrity.

Jimi was so more than a guitarist. Killer vocalist and lyricist. A sex symbol. Master showman too.

Jimi is like eddie van halen and david lee roth in one man.

It's more like Eddie and Dave are just one facet of Jimi.

• Like 3

So when can we expect the singers thread?

EP, give me your thoughts on this:

Male only, or should the poll include both male and female vocalists ??

I'm torn

Like this guitar poll, I want to include all eras ... and for a vocalist poll, it would be "rock" only

I am leaning towards keeping the polls just male and just female ... I like diversity, but to have Rob Halford in the same poll as Karen Carpenter would be sort of ridiculous

I'm torn

Like this guitar poll, I want to include all eras ... and for a vocalist poll, it would be "rock" only

I am leaning towards keeping the polls just male and just female ... I like diversity, but to have Rob Halford in the same poll as Karen Carpenter would be sort of ridiculous

I'm all for gender equality, but if you think it just wouldn't be fair to compare male a female voices in rock, then go ahead with the gendered polls. I don't really mind either way though.

• Like 1

I'm torn

Is it really that ridiculous though? This is just one’s preference anyway.

It’s not like it’d be a boxing match between a man & a woman.