Super Group of 80's Metal Gods

Necromancer

To while away the time at work we often come up with useless topics of discussion. This one seemed to create quite a buzz. If it's been done here before, sorry. I don't have time to read every page of this forum that took place before i joined. Well... actually i do, but i'm not gonna.

So okay... here's the topic. If a supergroup was created today of 80's metal icons. Who would you want at each instrument and vocals. The criteria is simple. Applies to ALL metal musicians of the 80's. Older metal gods such as OZZY, DIO, BLACKMORE and any others that were big in the seventies can not be apart of this. The concept is that they would be able to make a successful band today and tour. Also, RUSH is not allowed either. That just takes out too many positions.

Also... give reasons for your picks if they warrant explanation.

MY CHOICES:

DRUMS - Tommy Lee. Quite the metal drummer and also competent with other forms of music. Offers versatility with his guitar ability and compositional efforts.

KEYBOARDS - I was torn between John Oliva from Savatage and Tom Keifer of Cinderella. Oliva has an amazing voice, but from what i've heard he has suffered vocal problems, so though Keifer is not a pure keyboard genius, his vocal, guitar and songwriting ability makes him a great fit for this band.

BASS - Steve Harris. Not much discussion there. I had thought about using Blackie Lawless, but he gave up bass quite awhile ago and i don't think he could work with other big name stars anyway. And his lyric writing ability with Iron Maiden would make sure this band wouldn't become a schlock rock band.

Rhythm Guitar - Sebastian Bach. I got a ton of flack for this choice because he's not really a guitar player. But he CAN play guitar and he is descent enough to do the job. I included him because i wanted him as my singer for this band but i chose another singer. I still wanted Bach in the band though. He was quite possibly the best male front man of all metal bands of this era. But for main vocalist i chose...

VOCALS - DORO PESCH. She's amazing. That's all i can say. She has such a wide range and can bring so much to the table for a band like this if it were to exist.

LEAD GUITAR - My biggest dilemma. A good friend of mine is KARL LOGAN from ManOwar and he may be the best guitar player i've ever known. I think he would work well with a band such as this, but I also think his style of playing could overcome a band as this and he's better suited doing what he's doing. So I decided it need not be the BEST, but the best suited for the job. I then thought about everyone from Ratt's Warren DeMartini to Dokken's George Lynch. While they all offered much flash and tons of tricks ala Eddie Van Halen, i felt in this day and age for a band like this to make it on having good songs and not just name power, they need a lead guitarist like JOHN SYKES. I have no idea why John seemed to fade away after his stint in Whitesnake, but it took Adrian Vandenberg AND Vivian Campbell to replace him and THEY couldn't cut it. Neither could STEVE VAI. So i think THAT says a lot about this man's talent and ability as a songwriter. His riffs are amazing and though he doesn't do a whole lot of trickery on the axe, there is simply not a better ballsy guitarist alive than Sykes.

So that's my picks. What do you think? I'm very much open for discussion on this. It was fun at work and i think it could be fun here. We can make other supergroups from other styles and eras another time, but today it's hair band types of the 80's.

Guitar-Randy Rhoads

Bass-Steve Harris

Rhythm Guitar-James Hetfield (as much as I despise Metallica now)

Vocals- Geoff Tate

Drums- whoever is the current drummer for Spinal Tap at any given moment

IMO no keyboards in a true metal band so I didn't pick one...

Randy..one of the best of all time enuff said...

Steve...same reasons as yours Necro

James...just listen to the first 3 Metallica albums..he helps them go with the flow

Geoff...great range, power and emotion

and I couldn't really decide on a drummer, and wanted to include a Spinal Tap reference since we are talkin' metal

laugh.gif

tongue.gif cool.gif

QUOTE (Test4VitalSigns @ Sep 29 2005, 07:14 PM)
Guitar-Randy Rhoads
Bass-Steve Harris
Vocals- Geoff Tate

Randy..one of the best of all time enuff said...

Steve...same reasons as yours Necro

James...just listen to the first 3 Metallica albums..he helps them go with the flow

Geoff...great range, power and emotion

and I couldn't really decide on a drummer, and wanted to include a Spinal Tap reference since we are talkin' metal

laugh.gif

tongue.gif cool.gif

I agree that really... there shouldn't be any keyboards in a true metal band. What i was getting at was if you remember in the early eighties there were a few supergroups, most notably ASIA, that were nothing like the bands they were from. That was how the conversation started. Paul Rodgers and Jimmy Page also formed one. Anyway... i brought up the idea that if the metal hair band guys that were still alive (which unfortunatle nullifies Randy. I also agree with that pick, but he can't make any recordings), could put together a band today, who would we want as the members. That's kinda what i was going after, which was why i didn't actually pick the absolute best at what they do in all positions. I figured this band should have diversity which is why i went with two vocalists and actually a third in Keiffer. Since i wanted Keiffer in the band, but felt he wasn't the best for the main job, i put him at keys because he can play very good piano. I also agree with you about Geoff Tate as far as talent and sound... but IMO he has no charisma and with my version here... he would be a detriment. For what i wanted with him, i have in much better capacity with DORO PESCH. Now as for the Spinal Tap drummer... since the majority of them have succumbed to Spontaneous Human Combustion, they have people only sit in with them. If i'm not mistaken, the last person to sit in was Mick Fleetwood. While he is a very competent drummer, can he really be considered a METAL drummer? C'mon now... 1022.gif

As for the Megadeth/Burton combo... There will be a thrash metal thread shortly, but they didn't apply to this grouping in my original thought. My fault for not being specific enough. And as for Burton, same as Randy. Unless he has managed to transcend death, he can't record any tracks for any albums... soooo....

Lastly, is Rush considered Metal? no... not really, but in my days in high school, they were. To me anyway. You gotta figure that Iron Maiden was just breaking on the scene and stuff like Ozzy and Sabbath and some Priest was about as hard as it got. So some Rush definitely fell into the metal groove. So i just wanted to make sure that no one would nominate them for this band. Once in awhile... it's NOT about RUSH. Did i type that out loud???

I love Judas Priest

Loved Halfords voice

1022.gif

I wonder if Rob Halford wrote the lyrics for Priest ??

was some pretty decent werk . . .

QUOTE (barney_rebel @ Sep 29 2005, 10:09 PM)
Loudness - the Japanese metal band. Great stuff.

Scorpions rock too!

YES!!! Akira was considerd for my lead slot, but as amazing as he is, he seems to do the same thing on all the albums. I had some of the Japanese imports, and though he boggles the mind, imo he wouldn't fit into the confines of a supergroup. Much like Yngwie Malmsteen. So are you saying that your version of this supergroup would be members of Loudness and members of Scorpions? Who would you have where?

Hmm, let me think about this one:

Vocals - Sean Harris (Diamond Head)

Guitar - Brian Tatler (Diamond Head)

Bass - Colin Kimberly (Diamond Head)

Drums - Duncan Scott (Diamond Head)

Oh hell, Diamond Head should have been the greatest metal band of all time but were just so ahead of their time. Such a waste.

QUOTE (Slaine mac Roth @ Sep 29 2005, 11:59 PM)

Oh hell, Diamond Head should have been the greatest metal band of all time but were just so ahead of their time. Such a waste.

Yes, they were definitely ahead of their time. Lots of great metal bands were. I figure if i can listen to it today still and it doesn't make me ill at the thought that i used to like it, then it was ahead of it's time. There's really not a lot from this era of rock that still stands out for me. I agree that Diamond Head and even Motorhead are prime examples. Another for me would be Fastway. Wow... i must be getting old. So nostalgic lately.

Lead Guitar - Randy Rhoads (Quite Riot, Ozzy)

Billy Sheehan - Bass (Mr Big)

Paul Bostaph - Drums (Slayer)

Dave Mustaine - Rhythm Guitar (Megadeath)

Bobby Ellsworth - Vocals (Overkill)

Randy Rhoads - Not exactly metal but he could adjust if needed. He would add some melodic leads to the metal music.

Billy Sheehan - One of the best bass players I've ever seen period. He would KILL some metal tunes.

Paul Bostaph - A metal GOD drummer. Just listen to him and you'll see what I mean. One bad Mofo.

Dave Mustaine - He's a great rhythm guitar player, he wrote a lot of the early Metallica riffs before they booted him out for picking on them and kicking their asses. He could also sing some songs and do some backup singing.

Bobby Ellsworth - A perfect metal voice. He's been doing it for years and he still sounds incredible.

QUOTE (Test4VitalSigns @ Sep 29 2005, 08:14 PM)
Guitar-Randy Rhoads
Bass-Steve Harris
Vocals- Geoff Tate

I might just agree with all those! But I'll throw in drummer Rod Morgenstein from Winger because he was originally the drummer for the Dixie Dregs, who in case you don't know were the premier instrumental rock/fusion band at the time. The Dregs broke up during that whole hair metal scene and Rod joined Winger to put food on the table until a better gig came along (The Dregs later reformed).

And I think Kazz, defrushfan and a few others will argue your keyboard comment. tongue.gif

Even though it's tough to argue with Steve Harris, I also have to recognize Indy's choice of Billy Sheehan on bass. The guy's a monster.

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Oct 1 2005, 01:04 PM)
Guitar-Randy Rhoads
Bass-Steve Harris
Vocals- Geoff Tate

I might just agree with all those! But I'll throw in drummer Rod Morgenstein from Winger because he was originally the drummer for the Dixie Dregs, who in case you don't know were the premier instrumental rock/fusion band at the time. The Dregs broke up during that whole hair metal scene and Rod joined Winger to put food on the table until a better gig came along (The Dregs later reformed).

And I think Kazz, defrushfan and a few others will argue your keyboard comment. tongue.gif

Even though it's tough to argue with Steve Harris, I also have to recognize Indy's choice of Billy Sheehan on bass. The guy's a monster.

Rod Morgenstein was the drummer for Winger??? I didn't realize that! Wow, that's quite a switch from the Dregs to Winger. Had to be horrible for him laugh.gif I hope his family appreciated the sacrifice he made for them tongue.gif

QUOTE (Snowdog @ Oct 1 2005, 05:18 PM)
QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Oct 1 2005, 01:04 PM)
Guitar-Randy Rhoads
Bass-Steve Harris
Vocals- Geoff Tate

Rod Morgenstein was the drummer for Winger??? I didn't realize that! Wow, that's quite a switch from the Dregs to Winger. Had to be horrible for him laugh.gif I hope his family appreciated the sacrifice he made for them tongue.gif

I can fully agree with you there. I was unfortunate enough to see Winger when they supported the Scorpions on the Crazy World tour and they were just awful. The fact that Kip Winger was miming to a backing tape didn't help much.

Vocals - Bruce Dickenson (Iron Maiden) -I would have gone with Rob Halford, but since Judas Priest was around in the 70's then I opted with Dickenson

Rythm Guitar - Kai Hansen (Helloween/Gamma Ray) - With him, Helloween was amazing, but when he left them, they went downhill fast.

Lead Guitar - Yngwie Malmsteen - just kidding. Seriously - Vivian Campbell -the guy played with Dio and now currently with Def Leppard, plus his solo release is evidence that he can play almost anything given to him.

Bass - Steve Harris (Iron Maiden) - Face it. Harris IS Iron Maiden

Drums - Dave Lombardo (Slayer) - Being a drummer, I can think of so many amazing drummers that could have easily fit the bill and it came down to a tough choice between Nicko McBrain of Iron Maiden and Lombardo. Now way was I even going to consider Lars Ulrich...

QUOTE (kazzman @ Oct 1 2005, 02:05 PM)

Drums - Dave Lombardo (Slayer)

Dave Lombardo, that's who I change my drummer to. I picked the guy who replaced him earlier but this is the guy I meant. Yeah, he's bad ass.

QUOTE (kazzman @ Oct 1 2005, 01:05 PM)
Vocals - Bruce Dickenson (Iron Maiden) -I would have gone with Rob Halford, but since Judas Priest was around in the 70's then I opted with Dickenson
Rythm Guitar - Kai Hansen (Helloween/Gamma Ray) - With him, Helloween was amazing, but when he left them, they went downhill fast.
Lead Guitar - Yngwie Malmsteen - just kidding. Seriously - Vivian Campbell -the guy played with Dio and now currently with Def Leppard, plus his solo release is evidence that he can play almost anything given to him.
Bass - Steve Harris (Iron Maiden) - Face it. Harris IS Iron Maiden
Drums - Dave Lombardo (Slayer) - Being a drummer, I can think of so many amazing drummers that could have easily fit the bill and it came down to a tough choice between Nicko McBrain of Iron Maiden and Lombardo. Now way was I even going to consider Lars Ulrich...

All cool picks and i had them under consideration myself. You have no idea how much thought goes into this kind of stuff because my job is so boring. LOL. I didn't think of the Helloween guy though. I never got into them that much, though they were brilliant. As for Lombardo, he's my pick for the speed/thrash super band in the upcoming thread. I have to wonder if his style would fit with the choices that I made, but i believe he would work well in a band with your choices. In my group, i think his double bass, speed style would be a waste of energy. As for Dickenson. I LOVE Maiden. Always have, but I can only take his voice in small doses. Guys like him and Geoff Tate, for me, are too mechanical and lack some kind of feel that grabs me more. By the way... in no way are my responses to anyone's pics a statement of argument. Just discussion. Just wanted to clarify that.

I remember in the eighties there was a wave of bands like this that did fairly well. Some guys from Yes and ELP formed ASIA, and others from Yes and Zeppelin formed YYZ (which unfortunately never got off the ground), and then there was The Firm, which had Page and Rodgers in it. I would really love to see a project of this magnitude and these type performers take shape. Maybe someone will read this thread. LOL.

Randy Rhodes... Lead Guitar (no doubt on this one)

Steve Harris... Bass (amazing right hand)

Nicko Mc Brian ... Drums (althouhg like Kazz stated, Dave Lombardo is up there, amazing feet)

Vocals? ... this is my toughest one, I loved many of the vocalists of this era, IMHO, the vocalist in 80s metal was the hardest piece of the puzzle. I worked in a Metal band for about 5 yearsin the 80s, we always had great drumers, guitarists (me smile.gif ) and bassists ... the hard part was finding someone to handle the power and range that was needed for 80s metal, Halford, Ozzy, Dio, Vince Neil, Joe Lynn Turner, pearcy, Marc Storace (Krokus), Klaus Meine ....

But, if there was one that I could chose, it would have to choose Bruce Dickinson

So ... basically it would be Iron Maiden with Randy Rhodes!! smile.gif

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Oct 1 2005, 12:04 PM)
I might just agree with all those! But I'll throw in drummer Rod Morgenstein from Winger because he was originally the drummer for the Dixie Dregs, who in case you don't know were the premier instrumental rock/fusion band at the time.

Digression from topic: sorry.

1001, one of the first concerts I went to was The Dixie Dregs, Stillwater (Mindbender) and someone I can't remember at the Fox in Atlanta. It was clled the Rebel Jam ( ohmy.gif ) I believe it was 75 or 76 ... i won four tickets with this write in contest off a radio station and my parents took me ... I didn't know any of the songs, but it was great just the same smile.gif

QUOTE (ES-335 @ Oct 1 2005, 01:50 PM)
Randy Rhodes... Lead Guitar (no doubt on this one)
Steve Harris... Bass (amazing right hand)
Nicko Mc Brian ... Drums (althouhg like Kazz stated, Dave Lombardo is up there, amazing feet)
Vocals? ... this is my toughest one, I loved many of the vocalists of this era, IMHO, the vocalist in 80s metal was the hardest piece of the puzzle. I worked in a Metal band for about 5 yearsin the 80s, we always had great drumers, guitarists (me smile.gif ) and bassists ... the hard part was finding someone to handle the power and range that was needed for 80s metal, Halford, Ozzy, Dio, Vince Neil, Joe Lynn Turner, pearcy, Marc Storace (Krokus), Klaus Meine ....

But, if there was one that I could chose, it would have to choose Bruce Dickinson

So ... basically it would be Iron Maiden with Randy Rhodes!! smile.gif

PICK AGAIN!!! Randy's dead so he's excluded from this thread. Read the statutes governing the thread. LOL. The idea is that this band would need to record an album and tour. Unless Randy's greatness could supercede the boundries of DEATH, this can't happen. Otherwise i agree. Choose another lead guitarist.

Archived