GODS OF THE ELECTRIC GUITAR Mega Poll - Round Two - SEMI FINALS

Lucas

Gods Of The Electric Guitar SEMI FINALS  

37 members have voted

1. 1. Group One - Choose THREE From This Group

2. 2. Group Two - Choose THREE From This Group

3. 3. Group Three - Choose THREE From This Group

Of the ones that appear to be moving on, the ones I disagree most with are Iommi, May and Gilmour. Certainly not slouches, but they just seem to be locked into their band's sound and didn't really venture beyond that.

Another write-in candidate along with Buckethead: Kim Thayil.

Imo, Queen's "sound" was more varied and diverse than EVH's career. Eddie may have been a genius, but he could also be a bit of a one-trick pony.

Diver Down alone challenges that idea. Maybe Edward's most diverse album.
  • Like 2

.. and I'll mention this here and now

In the event of a tie in the semi final round, BOTH or all of those who are deadlocked will advance

The next round will be the FINAL ROUND, and if, for example, Gilmour and Page end up in a tie, both guys will move on

Why didn't you say so in the first post?!

This changes things a little!

I think I'll go do some vote shifting.

http://gif-finder.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/07/Al-Pacino-LaughSmoking.gif

• Like 2

Two hours to go

Page is on life support

Randy and Ritchie are deadlocked

Eddie, Alex and Jimi have their tickets punched

I changed my vote from Randy to Ritchie. Ritchie's an absolute ass but he's had the longer career.

I changed one of my protest votes to Page...getting closer.

Polls allow deleting and adding votes, so I took advantage. Sue me.

• Like 1

Of the ones that appear to be moving on, the ones I disagree most with are Iommi, May and Gilmour. Certainly not slouches, but they just seem to be locked into their band's sound and didn't really venture beyond that.

Imo, Queen's "sound" was more varied and diverse than EVH's career. Eddie may have been a genius, but he could also be a bit of a one-trick pony.

I should revisit that one, but it's never really struck me as one of their best works.

Nevertheless, I still hold May was loads more diverse than Eddie, not to mention May did finger tapping before him :P

I should revisit that one, but it's never really struck me as one of their best works.

Because it's so different? :P

Treat it like an instrumental and see what you think.

Edited by goose
  • Like 1

Not really, more like it just didn't seem to have as much strong material as the debut, or Women and Children First, or even 1984 (being like half covers doesn't really help things either, especially when the best songs are the covers). Like I said though, I should revisit it.

Edited by Entre_Perpetuo

Not really, more like it just didn't seem to have as much strong material as the debut, or Women and Children First, or even 1984 (being like half covers doesn't really help things either, especially when the best songs are the covers). Like I said though, I should revisit it.

Secrets, Little Guitars, Hang 'Em High, Full Bug are killer tracks. Cathedral is beautiful and innovative. Give it a listen.
  • Like 1

I completely understand why he isn't on the poll (and probably never would be on a poll like this unless it was limited to just metal maybe), but one of my favorite guitarists is Jani Liimatainen

Here he is with a couple songs he wrote for Young Guitar:

https://youtu.be/dz3hpwKTB3I <--- the chord progression at 0:40 is transcendent

<--- awesome neoclassical playing in Ex-A (starting at 1:32), and then that solo... Damn that's good. Edited by Mr. Not

The RUSH Forum kills me sometimes. Jimmy Page in danger of not advancing in a Guitar Gods poll = :laughing guy:

I remember someone saying a little while back that Page was a hack.

I remember saying at one point that I thought he was too sloppy and not that engaging.

I still think he can come off that way, but time has passed and I've learned to appreciate his brand of mastery much more.

Not to say I ever didn't like him though.

The RUSH Forum kills me sometimes. Jimmy Page in danger of not advancing in a Guitar Gods poll = :laughing guy:

I remember someone saying a little while back that Page was a hack.

I remember saying at one point that I thought he was too sloppy and not that engaging.

I still think he can come off that way, but time has passed and I've learned to appreciate his brand of mastery much more.

Not to say I ever didn't like him though.

I remember some saying he CAN be sloppy but I also specifically recall "hack" being used.

Still writing in for Ty Tabor. Just for my own personal satisfaction. But as for the official poll, I voted. This is getting interesting.

I'll second this.

Agreed...hard to find a more tasteful and melodic player out there, but I feel he sometimes reigns in his chops to serve the song with Kings X..he stretches out a bit with the jelly Jam and Platypus though the music itself isn't as good.

• Like 1