Based on the interview... (WARNING: POSSIBLE PHILOSOPHICAL DEBATES!)

oghond2112

In the Dan Rather interview with Geddy Lee, he described each member's interaction with the fans, and effectively, their personalities: Neil is perpetually shy and introverted, and VERY uncomfortable around fans, Alex is gregarious, talkative, and goofy, and Geddy himself is right smack-dab in the middle: very polite, friendly, and humble, yet somewhat reserved. Not as gregarious as Alex, but not as shy as Neil.

Meaning, effectively, that they can be considered the new Freudian trio (seen here: http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/FreudianTrio -though that may be a bit of a stretch). Specifically:

Id: Alex

Superego: Neil

Ego: Geddy

If not that, then it is ALMOST CERTAIN that they represent 3/4 of a four-temperament ensemble (seen here: http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/FourTemperamentEnsemble). Hint: there are no choleric members of RUSH. Hint: one's sanguine, one's melancholic, one's phlegmatic. Hint: it shouldn't take long to figure out who's who based on reading the descriptions.

Who else here agrees?

*NOTE: If I offend anyone with this, I sincerely apologize in advance. This thread was not meant to be offensive.*

Edited by oghond2112
  • Like 3

In the Dan Rather interview with Geddy Lee, he described each member's interaction with the fans, and effectively, their personalities: Neil is perpetually shy and introverted, and VERY uncomfortable around fans, Alex is gregarious, talkative, and goofy, and Geddy himself is right smack-dab in the middle: very polite, friendly, and humble, yet somewhat reserved. Not as gregarious as Alex, but not as shy as Neil.

Meaning, effectively, that they can be considered the new Freudian trio (seen here: http://tvtropes.org/...in/FreudianTrio -though that may be a bit of a stretch). Specifically:

If not that, then it is ALMOST CERTAIN that they represent 3/4 of a four-temperament ensemble (seen here: http://tvtropes.org/...eramentEnsemble). Hint: there are no choleric members of RUSH. Hint: one's sanguine, one's melancholic, one's phlegmatic. Hint: it shouldn't take long to figure out who's who based on reading the descriptions.

Who else here agrees?

*NOTE: If I offend anyone with this, I sincerely apologize in advance. This thread was not meant to be offensive.*

Geddy was at his most phlegmatic on the Time Machine Tour DVD of the Cleveland show. Fortunately when I saw him in St Paul the cold had passed.

• Like 2

oghond2112, good stuff here !!

:LOL:

Don't worry about offending anyone .. and personally, I enjoy this type of thread - it opens the door to a lot of conversation

I think within that Four Tempered Ensemble was long time producer Terry Brown

Rush was never the same without him

• Like 5

Meaning, effectively, that they can be considered the new Freudian trio (seen here: http://tvtropes.org/...in/FreudianTrio -though that may be a bit of a stretch). Specifically:

If not that, then it is ALMOST CERTAIN that they represent 3/4 of a four-temperament ensemble (seen here: http://tvtropes.org/...eramentEnsemble). Hint: there are no choleric members of RUSH. Hint: one's sanguine, one's melancholic, one's phlegmatic. Hint: it shouldn't take long to figure out who's who based on reading the descriptions.

Who else here agrees?

Geddy was at his most phlegmatic on the Time Machine Tour DVD of the Cleveland show. Fortunately when I saw him in St Paul the cold had passed.

Yep! Geddy is phlegmatic, and the description on TV Tropes is basically Geddy to a T. From there, I don't think it should be hard to identify who's melancholic and who's sanguine.

• Like 1

Don't worry about offending anyone .. and personally, I enjoy this type of thread - it opens the door to a lot of conversation

Do you agree with the Freudian Trio thing?

It's hard to categorize anyone into any single mold. It's even harder to do so for rock band members who's music we love & respect AND who we don't truly know.

Meet Alex at another time and out of the limelight and he might seem like a different person. Same with Neil. Meet him randomly somewhere and he might not be the prickly, villainous dictator that some TRFers claim he is.

I wonder if "prickly, villainous dictator" is cited on the DSM-5.

• Like 3

It's hard to categorize anyone into any single mold. It's even harder to do so for rock band members who's music we love & respect AND who we don't truly know.

Meet Alex at another time and out of the limelight and he might seem like a different person. Same with Neil. Meet him randomly somewhere and he might not be the prickly, villainous dictator that some TRFers claim he is.

"Limelight..." *giggles*

Also, Neil does not seem like a "villanous dictator." Why do people say he is?

• Like 1

Do you agree with the Freudian Trio thing?

If nothing else, it is fun because, from the outside, Rush were certainly a group of three distinct personalities

There was definitely a good balance there - they were extremely successful, both in terms of creating great music and maintaining a long lasting and positive relationship with each other

On a somewhat related note:

Do you think Geddy wrote "Different Strings" about his relationship with Alex ??

"Limelight..." *giggles*

I think JB is having problems with spellcheck, it keeps on misrecognizing the second word as "dictator".

• Like 2

"Limelight..." *giggles*

...unlike the former greatest rock drummer who is also a prick to his fans, and other people.

I honestly thought that he was finally going to announce that LeeLifeson was happening or that he had at least some modicum of interest in doing another solo album or musical project....But no, he's just going to let Neil's retirement dictate his future. Geddy is an amazing person and my personal favorite bassist....but he needs to grow a spine.

• Like 1

"Limelight..." *giggles*

I think JB is having problems with spellcheck, it keeps on misrecognizing the second word as "dictator".

Forgot the K!

• Like 1

Who else here agrees?

If you're into the tropes idea, tvtropes gives Rush their own long page. . . http://tvtropes.org/....php/Music/Rush. Or maybe you knew that already. ;)

Edited by blueschica

Not offensive. I’m not a fan of anything Freud related so I won’t give it much analaysis. I just feel they’ve spun a narrative around Neil’s behavior so much that it’s just accepted at face value. He has no issue reaching out to authors and others he wants to connect with when it interests him but when people interested in him reach out he shuts down. He can do whatever he wants but I take the whole “I’m too shy to talk to you people” thing with a major grain of salt.
  • Like 2

Who else here agrees?

If you're into the tropes idea, tvtropes gives Rush their own long page. . . http://tvtropes.org/....php/Music/Rush. Or maybe you knew that already. ;)

Yeah, I knew that already.

Do you think I am accurate in my analysis?

"Limelight..." *giggles*

...unlike the former greatest rock drummer who is also a prick to his fans, and other people.

I honestly thought that he was finally going to announce that LeeLifeson was happening or that he had at least some modicum of interest in doing another solo album or musical project....But no, he's just going to let Neil's retirement dictate his future. Geddy is an amazing person and my personal favorite bassist....but he needs to grow a spine.

I don't really think he's mean to his fans so much as he is EXTREMELY uncomfortable around them. Remember, that's what "Limelight" was written about.

"Limelight..." *giggles*

I don't really think he's mean to his fans so much as he is EXTREMELY uncomfortable around them. Remember, that's what "Limelight" was written about.

Remember, I didn't say these things. I'm just quoting them.

"Limelight..." *giggles*

• Like 1

Lifeson is Dionysus, Peart is Apollo, Geddy is Cygnus

Peart is the graham wafer, Lifeson is the marshmallow, Lee is the chocolate

Lee is the kola nut, Lifeson is the carbonation, Peart is the coca leaf (I might have that wrong)

• Like 3

Interesting to me was the part where Geddy describes driving away from a group of fans in fear and tired of being a celebrity, but realizes he doesn't want to be "that guy", the guy that can't make time for fans and lets his fear of fans dictate his life. What made it interesting to me was that "that guy" Geddy didn't want to become is the guy Neil did become... Edited by LeaveMyThingAlone
  • Like 3

Interesting to me was the part where Geddy describes driving away from a group of fans in fear and tired of being a celebrity, but realizes he doesn't want to be "that guy", the guy that can't make time for fans and lets his fear of fans dictate his life. What made it interesting to me was that "that guy" Geddy didn't want to become is the guy Neil did become...

Exactly.

Interesting to me was the part where Geddy describes driving away from a group of fans in fear and tired of being a celebrity, but realizes he doesn't want to be "that guy", the guy that can't make time for fans and lets his fear of fans dictate his life. What made it interesting to me was that "that guy" Geddy didn't want to become is the guy Neil did become...

Peart didn't "become" that guy - he was always that guy because of a predominant social awkwardness and shyness - which he has always admitted to, and which Lee reinforced by calling him shy. There is nothing wrong with being socially awkward and shy; there is nothing wrong with wanting privacy and feeling anxious. Not everyone can be as extroverted as Lifeson, and to some extent Lee.

• Like 5

Peart didn't "become" that guy - he was always that guy because of a predominant social awkwardness and shyness - which he has always admitted to, and which Lee reinforced by calling him shy. There is nothing wrong with being socially awkward and shy; there is nothing wrong with wanting privacy and feeling anxious. Not everyone can be as extroverted as Lifeson, and to some extent Lee.

So... that means you agree that in terms of personality, Geddy is smack-dab in between Alex and Neil?

So... that means you agree that in terms of personality, Geddy is smack-dab in between Alex and Neil?

No idea - never met the guy. But, if we accept the proposition that Lifeson is "most goofy" and Peart is "most cerebral" (not saying I do), then Lee does seem to fall somewhere between the two. He has generally thoughtful answers in interviews but is not above doing goofy things. Of course, they also convinced Peart to dress as a ga-nome.

• Like 2