Based on the interview... (WARNING: POSSIBLE PHILOSOPHICAL DEBATES!)

• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#21 LeaveMyThingAlone

LeaveMyThingAlone

The Professor

• Members *
  • 3091 posts

Posted 01 November 2017 - 02:01 AM

Interesting to me was the part where Geddy describes driving away from a group of fans in fear and tired of being a celebrity, but realizes he doesn't want to be "that guy", the guy that can't make time for fans and lets his fear of fans dictate his life. What made it interesting to me was that "that guy" Geddy didn't want to become is the guy Neil did become...

Edited by LeaveMyThingAlone, 01 November 2017 - 02:02 AM.

Sponsored Post

#22 oghond2112

oghond2112

Restless Young Rushmantic

• Members
  • 95 posts
  • Interests:RUSH, Pokemon, musicals, creating musicals

Posted 01 November 2017 - 07:41 PM

View PostLeaveMyThingAlone, on 01 November 2017 - 02:01 AM, said:

Interesting to me was the part where Geddy describes driving away from a group of fans in fear and tired of being a celebrity, but realizes he doesn't want to be "that guy", the guy that can't make time for fans and lets his fear of fans dictate his life. What made it interesting to me was that "that guy" Geddy didn't want to become is the guy Neil did become...

Exactly.

#23 toymaker

toymaker

The God Of Balance

• Members
  • 5896 posts
  • Interests:Songwriting and recording, cycling, movies, guitar and bass collecting

Posted 01 November 2017 - 07:51 PM

Peart didn't "become" that guy - he was always that guy because of a predominant social awkwardness and shyness - which he has always admitted to, and which Lee reinforced by calling him shy.  There is nothing wrong with being socially awkward and shy; there is nothing wrong with wanting privacy and feeling anxious.  Not everyone can be as extroverted as Lifeson, and to some extent Lee.

#24 oghond2112

oghond2112

• Members
  • 95 posts

Posted 01 November 2017 - 08:01 PM

View Posttoymaker, on 01 November 2017 - 07:51 PM, said:

Peart didn't "become" that guy - he was always that guy because of a predominant social awkwardness and shyness - which he has always admitted to, and which Lee reinforced by calling him shy.  There is nothing wrong with being socially awkward and shy; there is nothing wrong with wanting privacy and feeling anxious.  Not everyone can be as extroverted as Lifeson, and to some extent Lee.

So... that means you agree that in terms of personality, Geddy is smack-dab in between Alex and Neil?

#25 toymaker

toymaker

The God Of Balance

• Members
  • 5896 posts
  • Interests:Songwriting and recording, cycling, movies, guitar and bass collecting

Posted 01 November 2017 - 08:06 PM

View Postoghond2112, on 01 November 2017 - 08:01 PM, said:

So... that means you agree that in terms of personality, Geddy is smack-dab in between Alex and Neil?

No idea - never met the guy.  But, if we accept the proposition that Lifeson is "most goofy" and Peart is "most cerebral" (not saying I do), then Lee does seem to fall somewhere between the two.  He has generally thoughtful answers in interviews but is not above doing goofy things.  Of course, they also convinced Peart to dress as a ga-nome.

#26 JohnnyBlaze

JohnnyBlaze

The Ghost Rider

• Members *
  • 30144 posts

Posted 01 November 2017 - 08:14 PM

View Posttoymaker, on 01 November 2017 - 08:06 PM, said:

View Postoghond2112, on 01 November 2017 - 08:01 PM, said:

No idea - never met the guy.  But, if we accept the proposition that Lifeson is "most goofy" and Peart is "most cerebral" (not saying I do), then Lee does seem to fall somewhere between the two.  He has generally thoughtful answers in interviews but is not above doing goofy things.  Of course, they also convinced Peart to dress as a ga-nome.

I'm pickin' up what yer layin' down! :hail:

Personality is too complicated to be thought of in linear either/or terms. I'm like any one of them on any given day or situation. Or they're like me.

Besides, what falls between "most goofy" and "most cerebral"? In many cases, the most cerebral guy/gal IS the goofiest.

#27 toymaker

toymaker

The God Of Balance

• Members
  • 5896 posts

Posted 01 November 2017 - 08:19 PM

There is a sort of inherent goofiness in taking things too seriously.

#28 Lucas

Lucas

Leave That Wrench Alone

• Members
  • 10784 posts

Posted 01 November 2017 - 08:23 PM

Neil is really just a pussycat at heart

Posted Image

#29 oghond2112

oghond2112

• Members
  • 95 posts

Posted 01 November 2017 - 08:30 PM

Anyways... if you read the Four-Temperament Ensemble thing...

Basically, from what I have seen in interviews, Alex is sanguine, Neil is melancholic, and Geddy, as has already been established, is phlegmatic. There are no choleric members (unless you count John Rutsey, but I don't know what he was like...).

Is anyone else here in agreement?

#30 JohnnyBlaze

JohnnyBlaze

The Ghost Rider

• Members *
  • 30144 posts

Posted 01 November 2017 - 08:35 PM

Yeah I've read that. And it doesn't change anything I've said. It doesn't contradict anything either.

There's still the original problem of coming to analyze and categorize strangers we've never met.

#31 oghond2112

oghond2112

• Members
  • 95 posts

Posted 01 November 2017 - 08:39 PM

View PostJohnnyBlaze, on 01 November 2017 - 08:35 PM, said:

Yeah I've read that. And it doesn't change anything I've said. It doesn't contradict anything either.

There's still the original problem of coming to analyze and categorize strangers we've never met.

In the words of RUSH, "I can't pretend a stranger is a long-awaited friend."

#32 JohnnyBlaze

JohnnyBlaze

The Ghost Rider

• Members *
  • 30144 posts

Posted 01 November 2017 - 08:45 PM

View Postoghond2112, on 01 November 2017 - 08:39 PM, said:

In the words of me, "I love people."
On another day it's been, "I hate people."

What we say or write is often representative of merely one or a few thoughts at a specific moment in time.

Peart is probably mildly embarrassed by some of the lyrics he's written over the years. Not Limelight's specifically but I wouldn't take any one lyric as his single defining personality trait.

#33 oghond2112

oghond2112

• Members
  • 95 posts

Posted 01 November 2017 - 08:48 PM

View PostJohnnyBlaze, on 01 November 2017 - 08:45 PM, said:

What we say or write is often representative of merely one or a few thoughts at a specific moment in time.

Peart is probably mildly embarrassed by some of the lyrics he's written over the years. Not Limelight's specifically but I wouldn't take any one lyric as his single defining personality trait.

I wasn't using that lyric to define Neil. I was using it to rephrase your idea of how it's a bad idea to categorize people we've never met BECAUSE we "can't pretend a stranger is a long-awaited friend."

#34 JohnnyBlaze

JohnnyBlaze

The Ghost Rider

• Members *
  • 30144 posts

Posted 01 November 2017 - 08:56 PM

View Postoghond2112, on 01 November 2017 - 08:48 PM, said:

I wasn't using that lyric to define Neil. I was using it to rephrase your idea of how it's a bad idea to categorize people we've never met BECAUSE we "can't pretend a stranger is a long-awaited friend."
Thanks for explaining.

#35 oghond2112

oghond2112

• Members
  • 95 posts

Posted 01 November 2017 - 08:59 PM

View PostJohnnyBlaze, on 01 November 2017 - 08:56 PM, said:

View Postoghond2112, on 01 November 2017 - 08:48 PM, said:

Thanks for explaining.

You're welcome. :)

#36 LeaveMyThingAlone

LeaveMyThingAlone

The Professor

• Members *
  • 3091 posts

Posted 02 November 2017 - 12:47 AM

Sure of course  we are all born into this world with certain characteristics and unique traits that make up who we become.

My point wasn’t to necessarily criticize Neil but point out the irony of what Geddy was saying and how he basically admitted to wanting to be better in social interactions with the fans, but it wasn’t naturally comfortable for him and he had to work hard yo change it. He wanted to. Neil didn’t or couldn’t.

As I was watching the interview and Geddy said that part, I was hoping to hear Rather come back with asking  about Neil. If I were in his seat, I would have hit Geddy with this question after he said he didn’t want to become that guy:

“So is it safe to say that Neil Peart is the guy you didn’t want to become as it pertains to dealing with fans?”

#37 JohnnyBlaze

JohnnyBlaze

The Ghost Rider

• Members *
  • 30144 posts

Posted 02 November 2017 - 01:37 AM

View PostLeaveMyThingAlone, on 02 November 2017 - 12:47 AM, said:

Sure of course  we are all born into this world with certain characteristics and unique traits that make up who we become.

My point wasn’t to necessarily criticize Neil but point out the irony of what Geddy was saying and how he basically admitted to wanting to be better in social interactions with the fans, but it wasn’t naturally comfortable for him and he had to work hard yo change it. He wanted to. Neil didn’t or couldn’t.

As I was watching the interview and Geddy said that part, I was hoping to hear Rather come back with asking  about Neil. If I were in his seat, I would have hit Geddy with this question after he said he didn’t want to become that guy:

“So is it safe to say that Neil Peart is the guy you didn’t want to become as it pertains to dealing with fans?”

And Geddy probably would've said that he wasn't specifically thinking about Neil.

Doesn't seem like the kind of question Rather would've asked. And he didn't.

#38 Wil1972

Wil1972

Superconductor

• Members
  • 1411 posts

Posted 02 November 2017 - 07:18 AM

View Postlaughedatbytime, on 31 October 2017 - 10:18 PM, said:

Lifeson is Rose
Lee is Sopjhia
Peart is Blanche

I think Peart is Dorothy.

And the fans are Blanche.

#39 Ron2112

Ron2112

Prime Mover

• Members
  • 553 posts

Posted 02 November 2017 - 09:22 AM

I don't know that I agree with this.  At some point, if you're going to accept being in the public eye and for a rock star -- the wealth that goes with it -- then you need to be able to accept a fan who simply wants to say "thanks for the music."  Period.  Believe it or not, there are plenty of guys who could drum and write words as well as Neil.  

And then to compound things by writing that horrible "middle eight" section of his last book, as a final way to shit all over Rush, the fans, and the music industry, is really unforgivable.

#40 Alph Seeker

Alph Seeker

Solar Federalist

• Members *
  • 2709 posts
  • Interests:Flyfishing, flytying, motorcycling, archery, skiing, snowboarding...

Posted 02 November 2017 - 09:24 AM

Neil: Moe
Geddy: Larry
Alex:  Curly

Terry Brown: Shemp

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users