Why is Garth Brooks the second best-selling music artist in the US?

Texas King

Some of the shit that many hardcore Rush fans praise collectively on this forum leaves me bemused.

Still, rather let them enjoy what they enjoy. Like me and Garth Brooks.

I think he’s popular because his music is pablum for the masses. For the same reason so many people like plain white potatoes and khaki paint on their houses. Bland to fit in.

Who eats plain white potatoes?

Apparently people who have khaki paint on their houses. I'm sure people who think Brooks is "pablum for the masses" only listen to real highbrow stuff like Liszt and Puccini.

Nothing wrong with some Tosca and Turandot once in a while.

• Like 1

A lot of people like his songs and enjoy his concerts. So what?

Agreed.

A lot of us here like music for reasons most people don't even consider or care about. For a lot of people music isn't an obsession or a lifeline. Music is a diversion, it's escapism through entertainment. Garth Brooks seems to provide that to his audience. And he seems to legitimately care about providing it to his fans. I can't name one Garth Brooks song off the top of my head, but I still respect the man.
  • Like 3

Is that dollars?

Garth was huge in the 90s and I think country still has a lot of fans willing to pay for music. I’m pretty sure I had a couple of his CDs back then. Huge crossover

He's a talented songwriter and an incredible performer that puts his heart and soul into what he does. That resonates. My wife just saw him on his recent tour and loved it.

I'm not a huge country fan, but it's not hard for me to recognize why Brooks rises above other artists in that genre in terms of popularity and sales.

Another good question is why does it bother anyone that some people like Garth Brooks? Yet another is how much better is Garth than a lot of pop out there right now?

I think it's the perceived audience for country music. I don't know which genre people hate worse, country or rap. It's polarizing. Country seems to be for mindless pickup truck driving, beer chugging rednecks. And yes, NASCAR fans. Farmers. Whatever.

Personally, I don't mind it. I guess Garth can be seen as the corporate rock version of country. Maybe that's a fault to some. I've been listening to Zac Brown lately. And I liked NASCAR until the ...uh..."new format" this year. Done with it.

...I drive a Ford truck.

I'm so dumb.

:fury:

I don't think I know a Garth Brooks fan who likes him to just fit in. They just like him. Or they think he's easy to listen to. In either case, I don't think there's a conscious effort to fit in.

Indeed. Some days I want to listen to Mars Volta or Yes or the Melvins or something. Some days something easier totally fits the bill.

• Like 2

A lot of us here like music for reasons most people don't even consider or care about. For a lot of people music isn't an obsession or a lifeline. Music is a diversion, it's escapism through entertainment. Garth Brooks seems to provide that to his audience. And he seems to legitimately care about providing it to his fans. I can't name one Garth Brooks song off the top of my head, but I still respect the man.

That's a good point. I have to keep my music snob tendencies in check sometimes. For most of the general public, music is an escape. Like watching a reality tv show.

Rush couldn't come here, but Garth is being awaited with open arms. :LOL: :lol: :LOL: :eyeroll: :eh:

http://www.krem.com/...riday/488139396

I'd bet dollars to donuts that you'd love his show.

You'd lose. I would not. I can't stand that music. Never ever have liked it.

that would be like saying to me......you'd LOVE a Police show, lol

Mick

• Like 1

Rush couldn't come here, but Garth is being awaited with open arms. :LOL: :lol: :LOL: :eyeroll: :eh:

Mick

GARTH BROOKS IS FOOKING BAE MATE

Love you

*smoochy smoochy*

Mick

Love you

*smoochy smoochy*

you have more BAE's than anyone i know, lol

Mick

Mick

Love you

*smoochy smoochy*

Mick

Thats coz I am a ho whose been grinded so hard I went from steak, to mince, to dust.

• Like 2

Is that dollars?

Garth was huge in the 90s and I think country still has a lot of fans willing to pay for music. I’m pretty sure I had a couple of his CDs back then. Huge crossover

He's a talented songwriter and an incredible performer that puts his heart and soul into what he does. That resonates. My wife just saw him on his recent tour and loved it.

I'm not a huge country fan, but it's not hard for me to recognize why Brooks rises above other artists in that genre in terms of popularity and sales.

Another good question is why does it bother anyone that some people like Garth Brooks? Yet another is how much better is Garth than a lot of pop out there right now?

I think it's the perceived audience for country music. I don't know which genre people hate worse, country or rap. It's polarizing.

I'd be willing to bet that today more people under 20 hate rock than those two genres.

Current Billboard Album Sales: http://www.billboard...top-album-sales

Hot 100: http://www.billboard.com/charts/hot-100

Edited by goose

Mick

Love you

*smoochy smoochy*

Mick

I've been dragged to acts I don't like, only to be impressed by the live performance. Just about any opera would fall in as an example for me.

His act isn't about the music. It's about his ability to engage and entertain the audience. He's the country equivalent of Freddie Mercury. Edited by goose

I thought he was dead.

In that sense Garth is different from Freddie Mercury.

He's different in many senses.

And similar in many, as an entertainer. Here's a cool Garth story. A guy proposed to his girlfriend at a Brooks concert. When Garth got word of it, he offered to pay for a Hawaiian honeymoon for the couple.

Another Garth story... At a concert, a couple gives Garth the ultrasound of their in utero child, who would be named "Brooks", asking Garth to reveal the sex of the child during the show. He obliged, and then promised to pay for the child's college education.

Edited by goose
  • Like 1

I thought he was dead.

In that sense Garth is different from Freddie Mercury.

He's different in many senses.

And similar in many, as an entertainer. Here's a cool Garth story. A guy proposed to his girlfriend at a Brooks concert. When Garth got word of it, he offered to pay for a Hawaiian honeymoon for the couple.

Another Garth story... At a concert, a couple gives Garth the ultrasound of their in utero child, who would be named "Brooks", asking Garth to reveal the sex of the child during the show. He obliged, and then promised to pay for the child's college education.

So you're a Garth Brooks fan?

• Like 1