It's the measure of a life...

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 GeddyRulz

GeddyRulz

The Grammar Police

• Members *
  • 17345 posts
  • Interests:Unicycling, Internet surfing, TV and movies, Health and fitness, writing, reading, hard rock, classic rock, progressive rock, 80s New Wave, classical, jazz, sunshine pop, space age bachelor pad music.

Posted 28 October 2017 - 06:33 AM

My brother-in-law died Tuesday morning, from complications following open-heart surgery.  He was 51 and had two young children.  We feel just terrible for my sister and those kids.

He was a big Rush fan; it's what cemented my friendship with him, when my sister began dating him 18 years ago.  We'd go to the Rush shows together, try playing Rush songs together (him on drums, me on bass), talk about Rush.

I was approached about finding some Rush music for his funeral today (Sat, 10/28), and didn't hesitate with my choice.  "The Garden," of course!  So appropriate.  I played it for my sister, and she loved it.  She was bawling, just as I've been bawling, listening to it this week with Chris in mind. The minister, surpringly, already knows the song, but felt it would be better if I RECITE the words, as a poem or reading, rather than play the actual 7-minute song.  

So that's part of my long day today: reading The Garden aloud at a funeral service and trying to get through it.  Practice has helped; we'll see how it goes.

Thanks for reading.

Sponsored Post

#2 Tony R

Tony R

Prog Archivist

• Members *
  • 16913 posts
  • Interests:stuff

Posted 28 October 2017 - 07:04 AM

Sorry to hear this. Stand tall for your brother in law today.

#3 HemiBeers

HemiBeers

The Professor

• Members
  • 3766 posts
  • Interests:playfully annoying on the verge of inappropriate.

Posted 28 October 2017 - 07:54 AM

So sorry for your loss. :rose:

#4 JohnnyBlaze

JohnnyBlaze

The Ghost Rider

• Members *
  • 30145 posts

Posted 28 October 2017 - 08:11 AM

My condolences. It's a very fitting tribute to your brother-in-law and friend. :rose:

#5 Rod in Toronto

Rod in Toronto

Crushed in Rio

• Members *
  • 8610 posts
  • Interests:Running, music, movies, travelling, reading, food.

Posted 28 October 2017 - 08:22 AM

Sorry for your loss GR...my condolences.

#6 Jack Aubrey

Jack Aubrey

The Gun Crank

• 22063 posts
  • Interests:Studying Scripture, movies, reading, military history, target shooting, drums and percussion, temperate, jungle, desert, arctic, and urban survival, saltwater fishing, playing with and training my dogs Sam and River, prepping and tactical training.

Posted 28 October 2017 - 09:45 AM

I'm terribly sorry for your loss, sir. I shall be remembering you and the family in my prayers.

#7 blueschica

blueschica

What the Puck?

• Members
  • 5834 posts
  • Interests:Camping, gardening, muscle cars, NASCAR, Rush!

Posted 28 October 2017 - 09:52 AM

You have my sincere condolences on your great loss, GR. The Garden sounds like a perfect tribute to your brother in law. You and your sister and family will be in my thoughts. :rose:

#8 Bigbobby10

Bigbobby10

Solar Federalist

• Members *
  • 2876 posts

Posted 28 October 2017 - 10:51 AM

Im so sorry for your lose :rose:

#9 Lorraine

Lorraine

Dial-Up Diva

• Members *
  • 42114 posts

Posted 28 October 2017 - 12:15 PM

:hug2:

It's okay if you cry you know.

Please let us know how it went.

#10 laughedatbytime

laughedatbytime

Twin City Cub Fan

• Members *
  • 69627 posts
  • Interests:women's Uggs, trying to compensate for my small hands, buying gifts for the equipment staff, smashing certain cell phones, that dreamy Judge Berman

Posted 28 October 2017 - 12:24 PM

Thoughts and prayers coming the way of your family...he was lost way too early.

:rose:

#11 Lucas

Lucas

Leave That Wrench Alone

• Members
  • 10808 posts

Posted 28 October 2017 - 04:10 PM

My condolences to you and your sis and your family GR .. I am so sorry, and as I'm sure you realize, words cannot do justice to the emotions you and your family are feeling ..

Hang in there and lean on your big Rush family here when you need to

#12 Mr. JD

Mr. JD

Rushaholic

• Members *
  • 1806 posts
  • Interests:Professional Photographer

Posted 28 October 2017 - 04:49 PM

Sorry for your loss. I’m hoping you find the strength to get through your reading. I’m thinking about you today.

#13 Saint NIck

Saint NIck

The Seeker

• Members
  • 261 posts

Posted 28 October 2017 - 07:37 PM

GeddyRulz, thoughts, love & prayers to you & your family. As you know my father died a few weeks ago, and I included a few words from THE GARDEN in his eulogy. When my time comes, THE GARDEN will be played.

#14 OldRUSHfan

OldRUSHfan

OrneryGRUMPYfan

• Members *
  • 6460 posts
  • Interests:MUSIC, The Outdoors, Disc Golf, having fun.

Posted 28 October 2017 - 10:29 PM

Dude. :hug2:
:banana:

#15 GeddyRulz

GeddyRulz

The Grammar Police

• Members *
  • 17345 posts
  • Interests:Unicycling, Internet surfing, TV and movies, Health and fitness, writing, reading, hard rock, classic rock, progressive rock, 80s New Wave, classical, jazz, sunshine pop, space age bachelor pad music.

Posted 28 October 2017 - 10:31 PM

Thanks to everyone for the responses.

It went well - all that practice must've helped.  I recited The Garden entirely without notes, with good inflection, and no tears.  (Tears certainly came before and after.)  I humbly accepted praise on how well I did, then drove home from the service playing a mix of Rush tracks - sending Chris off with a last blast of our favorite band.

Another note: those CDs of "classical renditions of Rush songs" came in handy again today.  I had the funeral parlor play them throughout calling hours.  To an older person with an aversion to hard rock, they were completely inoffensive and tasteful.  To me and some others, it was "Hey, that's actually Limelight!"  (I'm referring to "A Baroque Tribute to Rush" and the superior "Exit Stage Right: A String Quartet Tribute to Rush.")

#16 Stormtron

Stormtron

The God Of Balance

• Members *
  • 7033 posts

Posted 29 October 2017 - 12:09 AM

Sounds like a nice tribute to your friend. Sorry for your loss.

#17 Verena

Verena

Mood Lifter

• Members *
  • 15609 posts

Posted 29 October 2017 - 09:59 AM

View PostGeddyRulz, on 28 October 2017 - 06:33 AM, said:

My brother-in-law died Tuesday morning, from complications following open-heart surgery.  He was 51 and had two young children.  We feel just terrible for my sister and those kids.

He was a big Rush fan; it's what cemented my friendship with him, when my sister began dating him 18 years ago.  We'd go to the Rush shows together, try playing Rush songs together (him on drums, me on bass), talk about Rush.

I was approached about finding some Rush music for his funeral today (Sat, 10/28), and didn't hesitate with my choice.  "The Garden," of course!  So appropriate.  I played it for my sister, and she loved it.  She was bawling, just as I've been bawling, listening to it this week with Chris in mind. The minister, surpringly, already knows the song, but felt it would be better if I RECITE the words, as a poem or reading, rather than play the actual 7-minute song.  

So that's part of my long day today: reading The Garden aloud at a funeral service and trying to get through it.  Practice has helped; we'll see how it goes.

Thanks for reading.

:hug2:      :rose:      :hug2:      :rose:      :hug2:       -->  I hope this helps you.  

#18 Boots

Boots

The Professor

• Members *
  • 3017 posts
  • Interests:art, supernatural, Holy Trinity of Metal, AC/DC, Iron Maiden, Opeth

Posted 29 October 2017 - 10:56 AM

:heart: :rose: :hug2:

#19 LyndseyG

LyndseyG

The Sphere

• Members *
  • 7714 posts
  • Interests:Reading, movies, knitting, cross stitch, playing my ukulele, the Seattle Seahawks and the New Orleans Saints.

Posted 31 October 2017 - 05:01 PM

:hug2:

#20 toymaker

toymaker

The God Of Balance

• Members
  • 5896 posts
  • Interests:Songwriting and recording, cycling, movies, guitar and bass collecting

Posted 31 October 2017 - 10:39 PM

My condolences to you.  I think the band would be very touched to know that this song, which has sort of capped their career, is being used in this way as a tribute to a person's life and the people he connected with.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users