• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#21 rugen

rugen

Superconductor

• Members
  • 1184 posts

Posted 28 October 2017 - 02:20 PM

I just realized last night that the song "BU2B" was not part of the set on the Clockwork Angels DVD. I thought that they played the whole thing!

Sponsored Post

#22 lifeson90

lifeson90

Superconductor

• Members
  • 1114 posts

Posted 28 October 2017 - 02:32 PM

S&A lyrics were a bit didactic at times but ovetall Neil's lyrics ansolutely just right for this band, including those for BU2B which is just a fantastic real cutting-edge track in every way

#23 nicky6

nicky6

Prime Mover

• Members
  • 682 posts

Posted 28 October 2017 - 03:43 PM

aaaaa, i'am going to hell for writing this song..

#24 vaportrailer

vaportrailer

The Professor

• Members
  • 3682 posts
  • Interests:music, reading, travel

Posted 30 October 2017 - 08:22 AM

View Postpsionic11, on 28 October 2017 - 10:17 AM, said:

I knew Voltaire was a philosopher, but was not familiar with Candide.  After a quick once-over of thefreedictionary.com article on Candide, I can see a lot of Clockwork Angels in it for sure. Reality smashes optimism and glossy sayings like "it's all for the best" or "it's God's will"...

Not sure where you get the idea of karma in Neil's work.  If there is no divine hand in all this, why would one believe that what comes around goes around?

Why are little ones born only to suffer
For the want of immunity
Or a bowl of rice?

re: karma - just my half-assed interpretation of these particular lyrics, not NP's entire oeuvre. Although Buddhism can be interpreted as nihilistic so it would be right up his sour old alley.
btw, Candide is a very approachable book, neither long or needlessly complex, and is much better for eyes and mind than CA: The Novel.

#25 vaportrailer

vaportrailer

The Professor

• Members
  • 3682 posts
  • Interests:music, reading, travel

Posted 30 October 2017 - 08:24 AM

View Postnicky6, on 28 October 2017 - 03:43 PM, said:

aaaaa, i'am going to hell for writing this song..

nicky6 is Neil Peart?!

#26 Nate2112

Nate2112

The Lil' Eskimo

• Members *
  • 3016 posts
  • Interests:Writing, Worldbuilding, Mapmaking, Programming, Composing Music

Posted 30 October 2017 - 11:37 AM

Awful song from a mediocre album. Funny how he's all "individualism is the greatest good" yet he abandoned Ayn Rand, who, dare I say, is radically individualistic.

I honestly hate when Neil bitches about religion and conformity as if he's an angsty teen in the punk era. It ruins the intellectual he is. I wish he would actually write profound things instead of just rehashing atheism and 'f**k the man"

#27 bluefox4000

bluefox4000

I never talk to strangers

• Members
  • 15749 posts
  • Interests:Music, Reading, Talking

Posted 30 October 2017 - 11:42 AM

View PostNate2112, on 30 October 2017 - 11:37 AM, said:

Awful song from a mediocre album. Funny how he's all "individualism is the greatest good" yet he abandoned Ayn Rand, who, dare I say, is radically individualistic.

I honestly hate when Neil bitches about religion and conformity as if he's an angsty teen in the punk era. It ruins the intellectual he is. I wish he would actually write profound things instead of just rehashing atheism and 'f**k the man"

CA is a very mediocre album.  i always said that.  Even when CA fever was running rampant.

Awful Prouduction
Patchy songs
WAY to long of an album.......just goes on and on.......and o and on, lol

Mick

#28 Nate2112

Nate2112

The Lil' Eskimo

• Members *
  • 3016 posts

Posted 30 October 2017 - 11:49 AM

View Postbluefox4000, on 30 October 2017 - 11:42 AM, said:

CA is a very mediocre album.  i always said that.  Even when CA fever was running rampant.

Awful Prouduction
Patchy songs

Mick

Finally someone agrees. The Garden is trash tier. WAAAAY too overrated. The only good songs on CA are Caravan, Clockwork Angels, Carnies & Headlong Flight. Everything else is a miss. And from the list of "good songs" only Caravan is great

#29 bluefox4000

bluefox4000

• Members
  • 15749 posts

Posted 30 October 2017 - 11:53 AM

View PostNate2112, on 30 October 2017 - 11:49 AM, said:

Awful Prouduction
Patchy songs

Mick

Finally someone agrees. The Garden is trash tier. WAAAAY too overrated. The only good songs on CA are Caravan, Clockwork Angels, Carnies & Headlong Flight. Everything else is a miss. And from the list of "good songs" only Caravan is great

oh i was one of the few in a tiny group that disliked CA in 2012.  you would have thought it was the 2nd coming

Trust me CA hasn't gotten better with age, lol

Mick

Edited by bluefox4000, 30 October 2017 - 11:54 AM.

#30 edhunter

edhunter

Rushaholic

• Members *
  • 1724 posts

Posted 30 October 2017 - 11:58 AM

It's  a wonderful record that is better than everything before it until Power Windows.

Had it been released right after Moving Pictures it'd be considered a masterpiece.

Except for Neil's shitty lyrics.

#31 Lorraine

Lorraine

Dial-Up Diva

• Members *
  • 42114 posts

Posted 30 October 2017 - 12:10 PM

View Postbluefox4000, on 30 October 2017 - 11:53 AM, said:

Awful Prouduction
Patchy songs

Mick

oh i was one of the few in a tiny group that disliked CA in 2012.  you would have thought it was the 2nd coming

Mick

:lol:   It was.  :lol:

#32 bluefox4000

bluefox4000

• Members
  • 15749 posts

Posted 30 October 2017 - 12:17 PM

View PostLorraine, on 30 October 2017 - 12:10 PM, said:

View Postbluefox4000, on 30 October 2017 - 11:53 AM, said:

Awful Prouduction
Patchy songs

Mick

Mick

:lol:   It was.  :lol:

:laughing guy: :laughing guy:

people got Legit furious if you didn't like this freakin' thing.

It was a harsh intro to this forum, lol

Mick

#33 Na na na

Na na na

Rushaholic

• Members
  • 2008 posts
  • Interests:Music, cooking, wine, fine clothing, wet shaving, traveling & football (soccer)

Posted 30 October 2017 - 01:05 PM

View Postedhunter, on 30 October 2017 - 11:58 AM, said:

It's  a wonderful record that is better than everything before it until Power Windows.

Had it been released right after Moving Pictures it'd be considered a masterpiece.

Except for Neil's shitty lyrics.

I don't have any issues with the lyrics. Agree with you...the best album since Power Windows.

#34 Wil1972

Wil1972

Superconductor

• Members
  • 1417 posts

Posted 30 October 2017 - 01:51 PM

I liked/still like CA. I admit it's a long album. And I rarely listen all the way through. But with the exception of the title track, Halo Effect (which I never liked), Wish Them Well and BU2B2, I still listen fairly regularly to the songs when I spin latter era Rush. BU2B is a good solid track. Also really like Caravan, Carnies, Headlong Flight and The Garden. Seven Cities of Gold is strong too.

#35 Thunder Bay Rush

Thunder Bay Rush

Superconductor

• Members
  • 1196 posts
  • Interests:Rush, Rush, Rush, drums, living off-grid, fishing, hunting, cooking, gardening, raising and growing my own food! Farting in crowded elevators... silent or otherwise.

Posted 31 October 2017 - 03:55 PM

I think BU2B is Neil doing a Doug Stanhope!   I'll bet Neil loves Stanhope.  I do... smart guy.

#36 LeaveMyThingAlone

LeaveMyThingAlone

The Professor

• Members *
  • 3091 posts

Posted 01 November 2017 - 08:21 AM

These are some  of Neil’s most straightforward lyrics he’s ever written. Truthfully it’s the last song I thought I’d see discussed on a forum to discuss itt’s meaning. I love the lyrics. Yes it’s been beaten to death, but it’s got a tongue in cheek, sarcastic tone to it that works well. There’s no head scratching lines. While our loving watchmaker loves us all to death is one of my favorite lines

#37 Fridge

Fridge

The Freezable Fridge™

• Members *
  • 9841 posts
  • Interests:Being a covers band hack
    hillwalking
    Just about anything in the great outdoors

Posted 01 November 2017 - 09:34 AM

View PostRUSHHEAD666, on 27 October 2017 - 10:30 PM, said:

Each human has their own interpretation of this song!  It's quite simple for me and it's on my license plate!

BU2BYYZ!

While everyone on the planet back in 1981 was falling in love with "Tom Sawyer" as a very young drummer I fell in love instantly with YYZ!

So decades later here is sit.  Typing the same old lovely shit.

I truly was Brought up to believe YYZ!

It's part of my Universal Plan.

As long as you pronounce it Y-Y-ZED

;)  (lobs grenade and runs for cover|)

#38 Fridge

Fridge

The Freezable Fridge™

• Members *
  • 9841 posts
  • Interests:Being a covers band hack
    hillwalking
    Just about anything in the great outdoors

Posted 01 November 2017 - 09:36 AM

Christ on a Bike, the man even bores the tits off Atheists now......

#39 Nate2112

Nate2112

The Lil' Eskimo

• Members *
  • 3016 posts

Posted 01 November 2017 - 12:17 PM

View PostFridge, on 01 November 2017 - 09:36 AM, said:

Christ on a Bike, the man even bores the tits off Atheists now......

Before you know it the nihilists will start questioning what divine asshole conceived Neil

#40 toymaker

toymaker

The God Of Balance

• Members
  • 5896 posts
  • Interests:Songwriting and recording, cycling, movies, guitar and bass collecting

Posted 01 November 2017 - 03:37 PM

How come Lee never gets any shit on this forum regarding the lyrics?  In pretty much every interview I've seen in which he talks about the writing process, he talks about it being, at least to some extent, a collaborative process.  Peart might generate the lyrics, but Lee has to accept/believe them and he may also tweak the phrasing of lines to make them easier to articulate. In this case, the lyrics may have been left more or less alone because of the structure that Peart was trying to maintain, but still - the other guys agreed to use them.

Also, why do people keep crapping on the guy for writing what he believes?  There are a hell of a lot more worse lyricists who promote ideas they believe in.  If anything, the institution of religion might be an easy target for a lyricist - there is tons of abuse; there is hypocricy and, let's face it, "faith" is just not a concept that works for some people, especially if it can be so easily subverted to satisfy the whims of the corrupt.

There are some thoughtful lines here that do not always state the obvious - "the price of what we're winning is the same as what we've lost" - I don't mind vaguely riddling lines like this one, which is pretty much of the same calibre as "plus ca change, plus c'est la meme chose."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users