• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#21 RushFanForever

RushFanForever

Superconductor

• Members
  • 1167 posts

Posted 16 November 2017 - 06:46 PM

Eric Johnson has a new studio album titled 'Collage' (which is half cover songs (vocals and instrumentals) and original songs (vocals and instrumentals) that's being released tomorrow.

Sponsored Post

#22 ytserush

ytserush

The Professor

• Members *
  • 4133 posts

Posted 19 November 2017 - 10:40 AM

View PostRushFanForever, on 16 November 2017 - 06:46 PM, said:

Eric Johnson has a new studio album titled 'Collage' (which is half cover songs (vocals and instrumentals) and original songs (vocals and instrumentals) that's being released tomorrow.

I found out about that when I went looking for tickets.

#23 ytserush

ytserush

The Professor

• Members *
  • 4133 posts

Posted 02 December 2017 - 10:07 AM

When I was out for record store day last week to get the Closer To The Hear 45, I stumbled upon an Eric Johnson Live at Austin City Limits CD recorded in 1988.  Sounds great. Just like a few of the other live albums I have of his.

#24 RushFanForever

RushFanForever

Superconductor

• Members
  • 1167 posts

Posted 05 February 2018 - 09:18 AM

From Ultimate Classic Rock here.

The success of Ah Via Musicom found Johnson on the road touring extensively, including a span of shows with Rush, who were touring in support of the Roll the Bones album at that time.

“Those guys were really nice. We had just gotten finished doing six weeks in Europe and we were all coming home from Europe,” he says. “As we landed back in the States, we were like, Oh great, we get to go home! Then we got a call, ‘Well, do you want to open for Rush for six weeks?’ We said, ‘When does that tour start?’ They said, ‘Tomorrow.’ [Laughs] So we never got to go home. We were out for like three more months nonstop. But we did it anyhow and it was a nice opportunity. They had big crowds every night, so it was a very nice opportunity and it was good getting to know those guys.”

Edited by RushFanForever, 05 February 2018 - 09:18 AM.

#25 RushFanForever

RushFanForever

Superconductor

• Members
  • 1167 posts

Posted 09 April 2018 - 09:20 AM

Here's a recent interview with Eric Johnson and his band mates bassist Kyle Brock and drummer Tommy Taylor below that I'm sharing.

Edited by RushFanForever, 09 April 2018 - 10:36 AM.

#26 RushFanForever

RushFanForever

Superconductor

• Members
  • 1167 posts

Posted 29 May 2018 - 09:00 AM

A concert/interview video with Eric Johnson about the 'Ah Via Musicom' Anniversary Tour posted here.

Edited by RushFanForever, 29 May 2018 - 09:00 AM.

#27 TexMike

TexMike

Superconductor

• Members
  • 1375 posts
  • Interests:Music, photography, travel

Posted 29 May 2018 - 10:25 PM

View PostRushFanForever, on 29 May 2018 - 09:00 AM, said:

A concert/interview video with Eric Johnson about the 'Ah Via Musicom' Anniversary Tour posted here.

Thanks so much for posting that!  I always enjoy listening to Eric speak as he's so down to earth for being ridiculously talented.  Living in Austin, I've gotten to see him play countless times since the late 80s and it doesn't seem like age is slowing him down one bit.

"Pipeline" from his latest album is up there with the best instrumentals he's ever done.

#28 RushFanForever

RushFanForever

Superconductor

• Members
  • 1167 posts

Posted 30 May 2018 - 04:45 AM

View PostTexMike, on 29 May 2018 - 10:25 PM, said:

View PostRushFanForever, on 29 May 2018 - 09:00 AM, said:

Thanks so much for posting that!  I always enjoy listening to Eric speak as he's so down to earth for being ridiculously talented.  Living in Austin, I've gotten to see him play countless times since the late 80s and it doesn't seem like age is slowing him down one bit.

"Pipeline" from his latest album is up there with the best instrumentals he's ever done.

I'm sure you've also heard the original version of 'Pipeline' by The Chantays and the Grammy Award nominated cover by Stevie Ray Vaughan and Dick Dale as well?

Edited by RushFanForever, 30 May 2018 - 04:45 AM.

#29 TexMike

TexMike

Superconductor

• Members
  • 1375 posts
  • Interests:Music, photography, travel

Posted 30 May 2018 - 11:13 PM

I actually didn't know SRV and DD had done a cover of it together, so thanks for that.  

Still think EJ's is by far the best version.  Bolder arrangement and that sweet signature sound of his.

#30 ytserush

ytserush

The Professor

• Members *
  • 4133 posts

Posted 02 June 2018 - 08:21 AM

View PostTexMike, on 30 May 2018 - 11:13 PM, said:

I actually didn't know SRV and DD had done a cover of it together, so thanks for that.  

Still think EJ's is by far the best version.  Bolder arrangement and that sweet signature sound of his.

Haven't gotten around to getting Eric Johnson's new one yet.

I forgot Stevie did that with Dick Dale. He plays it with his brother Jimmy on the box set.

Kind of a surprise that the Chantays ended up on Lawrence Welk too.

#31 RushFanForever

RushFanForever

Superconductor

• Members
  • 1167 posts

Posted 05 June 2018 - 09:11 AM

Speaking of the subject of The Chantays and 'Pipeline'

I found this 2015 article here that mentions a tidbit of information from Dick Dale below.

Dale, whose hits such as “Miserlou” helped define the surf guitar sound, is one of the many artists who have covered “Pipeline,” in his version playing with the late Stevie Ray Vaughan.

“We were going to do it with Eddie Van Halen,” says Dale, who spends most of his time on his ranch in the desert though he still has a boat docked in Newport Beach where he and his wife Lana spend a few days now and then. After Van Halen backed out – the song and their performances were to be featured in the 1987 movie “Back To The Beach” – Vaughan signed on instead, Dale says.

Edited by RushFanForever, 05 June 2018 - 09:11 AM.

#32 ytserush

ytserush

The Professor

• Members *
  • 4133 posts

Posted 11 June 2018 - 07:38 PM

View PostRushFanForever, on 05 June 2018 - 09:11 AM, said:

Speaking of the subject of The Chantays and 'Pipeline'

I found this 2015 article here that mentions a tidbit of information from Dick Dale below.

Dale, whose hits such as “Miserlou” helped define the surf guitar sound, is one of the many artists who have covered “Pipeline,” in his version playing with the late Stevie Ray Vaughan.

“We were going to do it with Eddie Van Halen,” says Dale, who spends most of his time on his ranch in the desert though he still has a boat docked in Newport Beach where he and his wife Lana spend a few days now and then. After Van Halen backed out – the song and their performances were to be featured in the 1987 movie “Back To The Beach” – Vaughan signed on instead, Dale says.

Probably for the best.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users