• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 RushFanForever

RushFanForever

Superconductor

• Members
  • 1088 posts

Posted 27 October 2017 - 07:35 AM

Alex Lifeson is the reason I discovered Eric Johnson from this November 1991 Guitar Player magazine article here.

Neil Peart also provided kudos to Eric here about his 'Best Rock Instrumental Grammy Award win for 'Cliffs Of Dover'.

Eric Johnson is embarking on an American tour next year with bassist Kyle Brock and drummer Tommy Taylor and will perform his breakthrough 1990 album 'Ah Via Musicom' in its entirety live. See tour dates here.

In addition 'Ah Via Musicom' has been reissued on vinyl by Friday Music. See video promo here and website link here.

Both Eric and Tommy performed on the smash 1980 debut Christopher Cross album, which has also been reissued on vinyl here.

Edited by RushFanForever, 27 October 2017 - 06:27 PM.

Sponsored Post

#2 Lucas

Lucas

Leave That Wrench Alone

• Members
  • 10808 posts

Posted 27 October 2017 - 11:15 AM

Thanks for posting this RFF  .. Eric Johnson is one of the all time greats - a true legend and amazing player

#3 ytserush

ytserush

The Professor

• Members *
  • 3899 posts

Posted 27 October 2017 - 03:32 PM

I'm eying a gig in March. Depends on when the Gizmodrome tour is announced and if I decide to see The Dregs. At least Sons Of Apollo won't get in the way. Decided to pass on them.

#4 tangy

tangy

The Great Progholio

• Members
  • 9376 posts

Posted 27 October 2017 - 07:25 PM

Great disc.

Saw that tour twice.

EJ rips!

#5 RUSHHEAD666

RUSHHEAD666

My name is Earl

• Members
  • 30019 posts

Posted 27 October 2017 - 09:49 PM

LOL!

I'm so fuckking old!  I saw the "Ah Via Musicom" Tour!  It was at The Omni in Berkeley!
A night I will never forget!
The band had issues getting to the venue.
They were three hours late I think!  I remember Eric saying something like,  "Don't worry everyone we will play an extra long show for you all tonight!"

I believe they played for 2 and a half hours!!!!  I didn't get home until 3 AM that morning.  It was an incredible show!

#6 RushFanForever

RushFanForever

Superconductor

• Members
  • 1088 posts

Posted 30 October 2017 - 01:20 AM

Kyle Brock is an underrated bassist. Check out his solo piece here.

Edited by RushFanForever, 30 October 2017 - 01:24 AM.

#7 treeduck

treeduck

Tenacious T

• Members *
  • 83495 posts

Posted 30 October 2017 - 02:43 AM

It came out in 1990, so it's the 28th anniversary tour?

#8 RushFanForever

RushFanForever

Superconductor

• Members
  • 1088 posts

Posted 30 October 2017 - 08:27 AM

View Posttreeduck, on 30 October 2017 - 02:43 AM, said:

It came out in 1990, so it's the 28th anniversary tour?

A press release quote in Guitar World here.

“I listen to the fan feedback and comments as I plan my projects and tours. That's how I got into the recording and subsequent tour with Mike Stern. Same thing with the acoustic recording and tour because I kept hearing ‘Hey when are you gonna do that acoustic record you've been talking about for years’," Johnson said in a press release announcing the tour.

"But by far, the most feedback I've been getting from fans is to play the entire Ah Via Musicom record live, so I figured I've put this off for too long. The time is now, and the timing worked out for Tommy Taylor and Kyle Brock to be involved too, so here we go.”

#9 JohnnyBlaze

JohnnyBlaze

The Ghost Rider

• Members *
  • 30145 posts

Posted 30 October 2017 - 10:21 AM

Ah Via Musicom has gotten regular play with me ever since I first bought it a few months after its release.
It holds a special place in my memory as I played it numerous times as I moved/drove across the USA back in the late 90s. Of the dozens of albums I played during that 3,000+ mile odyssey, none fit better than Ah Via Musicom against the backdrop of New Mexico, again in Colorado, and again in southwest Utah.

Hell, I've listened to it a few times this month before this thread was made and a couple of times AFTER! :hail:

Edited by JohnnyBlaze, 30 October 2017 - 11:04 AM.

#10 RushFanForever

RushFanForever

Superconductor

• Members
  • 1088 posts

Posted 30 October 2017 - 12:25 PM

There's a mention in this 1996 Guitar Shop magazine article here (during the 'Victor' era) about Alex Lifeson's music in his car.

"Among his regular in-car selections are Eric Johnson's Ah Via Musicom, Soundgarden's Superunknown, Nine Inch Nails' The Downward Spiral, and Alice In Chains' Dirt."

Edited by RushFanForever, 30 October 2017 - 11:55 PM.

#11 cygnify

cygnify

Superconductor

• Members *
  • 1411 posts
  • Interests:Drums, Astronomy, Family (not necessarily in that order)

Posted 30 October 2017 - 01:14 PM

I saw Eric open for Rush on the Roll The Bones Tour (I saw him in Pittsburgh;  Mr. Big was on later shows of the tour, I believe.)  I was a big fan of Ah Via Musicom before seeing the show;  I actually bought a tour shirt (still have it!)  However, I wasn't really into the stuff he put out after that  - sorta adult contemporary.   I'm considering this show in Orlando;  I just bought tickets for the Dixie Dregs (one of my all-time favorite instrumental bands!)

#12 Oracle

Oracle

Solar Federalist

• Members *
  • 2118 posts
  • Interests:Basically anything that can interest me.

Posted 30 October 2017 - 08:12 PM

Honestly might go check him out at Taft Ballroom if the price is right. I like him, but haven't really gone deep into Eric's discography.

#13 Mithrandir

Mithrandir

Superconductor

• Members *
  • 1185 posts

Posted 31 October 2017 - 03:45 PM

Glenside, PA

Lancaster, PA

No Pittsburgh??? Come on Eric!!  damn.

#14 Mithrandir

Mithrandir

Superconductor

• Members *
  • 1185 posts

Posted 31 October 2017 - 03:47 PM

View Postcygnify, on 30 October 2017 - 01:14 PM, said:

I saw Eric open for Rush on the Roll The Bones Tour (I saw him in Pittsburgh;  Mr. Big was on later shows of the tour, I believe.)  I was a big fan of Ah Via Musicom before seeing the show;  I actually bought a tour shirt (still have it!)  However, I wasn't really into the stuff he put out after that  - sorta adult contemporary.   I'm considering this show in Orlando;  I just bought tickets for the Dixie Dregs (one of my all-time favorite instrumental bands!)
I saw both of those shows too.

Edited by Mithrandir, 31 October 2017 - 03:47 PM.

#15 RushFanForever

RushFanForever

Superconductor

• Members
  • 1088 posts

Posted 02 November 2017 - 04:22 AM

This is my favorite when Eric Johnson had The Tragically Hip open for him on the 'Ah Via Musicom' Tour in the fall of 1991.

Posted Image

#16 ytserush

ytserush

The Professor

• Members *
  • 3899 posts

Posted 03 November 2017 - 06:24 PM

View Postcygnify, on 30 October 2017 - 01:14 PM, said:

I'd have loved to have seen either Eric or Primus on the Roll The Bones tour. Unfortunately got stuck with Vinnie Moore and Mr. Big instead.

#17 pjbear05

pjbear05

Rushaholic

• Members *
  • 1588 posts
  • Interests:Beer and music.

Posted 04 November 2017 - 01:06 PM

Saw EJ years ago at the Seminole Hard Rock opening for Jonny  Lang.  Got into Eric after seeing him play Desert Rose on the Crossroads Guitar Festival DVD.  Definitely looking at the Ft. Lauderdale gig.

#18 Rod in Toronto

Rod in Toronto

Crushed in Rio

• Members *
  • 8613 posts
  • Interests:Running, music, movies, travelling, reading, food.

Posted 04 November 2017 - 03:53 PM

Do you guys think he'll add more dates, or is that it?

#19 RushFanForever

RushFanForever

Superconductor

• Members
  • 1088 posts

Posted 05 November 2017 - 08:00 AM

View PostRod in Toronto, on 04 November 2017 - 03:53 PM, said:

I emailed the booking agent last week to inquire and didn't receive a reply. I'm going to follow up by phone.

#20 Rod in Toronto

Rod in Toronto

Crushed in Rio

• Members *
  • 8613 posts
  • Interests:Running, music, movies, travelling, reading, food.

Posted 05 November 2017 - 11:45 AM

View PostRushFanForever, on 05 November 2017 - 08:00 AM, said:

View PostRod in Toronto, on 04 November 2017 - 03:53 PM, said:

I emailed the booking agent last week to inquire and didn't receive a reply. I'm going to follow up by phone.

Wow!!!! I didn't even know we could do that. Great idea!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users