4.Radiohead - Kid A

5.Pink Floyd - Wish You Were Here

6.King Crimson - In the Court of the Crimson King

7.My Bloody Valentine - Loveless

8.The Beatles - Abbey Road

9.The Beach Boys - Pet Sounds

10.The Beatles - Revolver

http://rateyourmusic.com/customchart

Some time ago people on this board were discussing a huge praise and very high ratings for OK Computer.

Now generally what do you think about albums in this RYM's top 10 list? Are you familiar with all of them?

For me it's absolutely incomprehensible that TVU&N is ranked as the third greatest album of all time. It seems that the majority of RYM users who rated this album that high are HIPSTERS? The same goes to Loveless by MBV.

And BTW the highest rated Rush album on RYM is Moving Pictures and it's ranked #232.

3.The Velvet Underground & Nico - The Velvet Underground & Nico

For me it's absolutely incomprehensible that TVU&N is ranked as the third greatest album of all time.

A pretty solid album that really captures an era.

Velvet_Underground_and_Nico.jpg

• Like 1

Well I find it unfair that some of the albums in the top 10 are by the same band

Two Floyd, two Radiohead, two Beatles. I'm curious how the rating works. I see the albums are rating with a 4-point-something, but the highest two(Velvet Underground and King Crimson at 4.30) are ranked 3rd and 6th.

:eh:

• Like 1

Well I find it unfair that some of the albums in the top 10 are by the same band

Two Floyd, two Radiohead, two Beatles. I'm curious how the rating works. I see the albums are rating with a 4-point-something, but the highest two(Velvet Underground and King Crimson at 4.30) are ranked 3rd and 6th.

:eh:

It's all on a scale of 0.5 - 5. I don't know the exact algorithm for the overall ranking of albums, but the more people who vote on an album at all, the higher it goes up in the chart. The Velvet and Crimson albums both have a few thousand less votes than the albums above them.

• Like 1

For me it's absolutely incomprehensible that TVU&N is ranked as the third greatest album of all time.

A pretty solid album that really captures an era.

Velvet_Underground_and_Nico.jpg

It's as innovative as any album released during its era. Nothing sounded like it and tackled the topics it explored. Essential rock music deserving its reputation.

• Like 2

This is a list:

1.OK Computer - Radiohead

2.The Dark Side of the Moon - Pink Floyd

4.Radiohead - Kid A

Some time ago people on this board were discussing a huge praise and very high ratings for OK Computer.

Now generally what do you think about albums in this RYM's top 10 list? Are you familiar with all of them?

For me it's absolutely incomprehensible that TVU&N is ranked as the third greatest album of all time. It seems that the majority of RYM users who rated this album that high are HIPSTERS? The same goes to Loveless by MBV.

And BTW the highest rated Rush album on RYM is Moving Pictures and it's ranked #232.

First off, just an etiquette point, don't call people hipsters based on their taste in music, or better yet don't call people potentially insulting names at all, especially when it's not to their face. That's just kind of rude, and it makes you look as shallow and judgemental as you claim them to be. I believe you're a generally nice person and a great member on this board and it just doesn't reflect your best self to talk about others that way.

Second, the only thing about this list that really comes as a kind of surprise to me is that Abbey Road places as the top Beatles album. I'd have thought it would snag third after Revolver (more popular nowadays) and Sgt. Pepper's (more classically popular), but it does kind of make sense. It's my favorite Beatles album and the favorite of two of my college friends, and our age group seems the most notorious for voting on those kinds of sites so... Abbey Road it is. Of course I'd love to see my favorites go higher, but such is the nature of being a music fan. Your own list will never really match the group's, and honestly that's a great thing because it means you've formed your own taste in music and have stayed true to yourself rather than jumping on the bandwagon.

And I still haven't heard Pet Sounds, lol.

• Like 1

This is a list:

4.Radiohead - Kid A

First off, just an etiquette point, don't call people hipsters based on their taste in music, or better yet don't call people potentially insulting names at all, especially when it's not to their face. That's just kind of rude, and it makes you look as shallow and judgemental as you claim them to be. I believe you're a generally nice person and a great member on this board and it just doesn't reflect your best self to talk about others that way.

Second, the only thing about this list that really comes as a kind of surprise to me is that Abbey Road places as the top Beatles album. I'd have thought it would snag third after Revolver (more popular nowadays) and Sgt. Pepper's (more classically popular), but it does kind of make sense. It's my favorite Beatles album and the favorite of two of my college friends, and our age group seems the most notorious for voting on those kinds of sites so... Abbey Road it is. Of course I'd love to see my favorites go higher, but such is the nature of being a music fan. Your own list will never really match the group's, and honestly that's a great thing because it means you've formed your own taste in music and have stayed true to yourself rather than jumping on the bandwagon.

Well, I have to do something about that, this will get you started ! :heart: It might not exactly be your thing, but try to listen to how many layers and textures are in the music by the time Brian Wilson gets all the harmonies, brass and percussions in there. (EP starts kicking self for off hand Pet Sounds comment . . .;) )

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3y44BJgkdZs&list=PLSpwV7z2NdPRz_rmYcEFfZvQ4ItxLSU-y

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CWPo5SC3zik&index=8&list=PLSpwV7z2NdPRz_rmYcEFfZvQ4ItxLSU-y

Edited by blueschica
  • Like 1

I'd say its a decent list.

It has Loveless and that makes it legit.

• Like 1

They are all good albums. It's just another list to peruse.

Here's the top ten from Acclaimed Music:

1.The Beach Boys - Pet Sounds

2.The Beatles - Revolver

3.Nirvana - Nevermind

4.The Velvet Underground - The Velvet Underground & Nico

5.The Beatles - Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band

6.The Clash - London Calling

7.Marvin Gaye - What's Going On

8.The Rolling Stones - Exile on Main St.

9.Bob Dylan - Blonde on Blonde

10.Radiohead - OK Computer

Link: http://www.acclaimedmusic.net

Edited by ReRushed

This is a list:

4.Radiohead - Kid A

Well, I have to do something about that, this will get you started ! :heart: It might not exactly be your thing, but try to listen to how many layers and textures are in the music by the time Brian Wilson gets all the harmonies, brass and percussions in there. (EP starts kicking self for off hand Pet Sounds comment . . . ;) )

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3y44BJgkdZs&list=PLSpwV7z2NdPRz_rmYcEFfZvQ4ItxLSU-y

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CWPo5SC3zik&index=8&list=PLSpwV7z2NdPRz_rmYcEFfZvQ4ItxLSU-y

I appreciate your enthusiasm to get me to hear this album, but unless there's some key difference between the versions of these songs on youtube and the ones that I've got on the Beach Boys' compilation on my iPod, I'm afraid I've already heard those two, and yes, they are great! :)

Are there deeper cuts I should hear?

• Like 1

This is a list:

4.Radiohead - Kid A

Well, I have to do something about that, this will get you started ! :heart: It might not exactly be your thing, but try to listen to how many layers and textures are in the music by the time Brian Wilson gets all the harmonies, brass and percussions in there. (EP starts kicking self for off hand Pet Sounds comment . . . ;) )

I appreciate your enthusiasm to get me to hear this album, but unless there's some key difference between the versions of these songs on youtube and the ones that I've got on the Beach Boys' compilation on my iPod, I'm afraid I've already heard those two, and yes, they are great! :)

Listen to the whole album.

• Like 2

This is a list:

4.Radiohead - Kid A

lol, that is what I tend to do anyway.

Sometime, I shall get around to it. Likely not tonight though.

• Like 1

This is a list:

4.Radiohead - Kid A

I think it's a lovely record. A bit overrated but essential. It's not a band album, it's Brian Wilson's vision and expression.

• Like 1

This is a list:

4.Radiohead - Kid A

I think it's a lovely record. A bit overrated but essential. It's not a band album, it's Brian Wilson's vision and exp<b></b>ression.

I don't know about overrated, it was never a massive seller. But it is often surprising to me how this album is so revered compared to many of the other classics of the time. Truly a beautiful album, but yeah...Beach Boys were a wildly inconsistent group at the best of times.

This is a list:

4.Radiohead - Kid A

I think it's a lovely record. A bit overrated but essential. It's not a band album, it's Brian Wilson's vision and expression.

I find it very over rated. it's enjoyable and maybe technologically, sonically, etc. advanced, but the songs themselves are simply ok to me.

This is a list:

4.Radiohead - Kid A

I think it's a lovely record. A bit overrated but essential. It's not a band album, it's Brian Wilson's vision and exp<b></b>ression.

I find it very over rated. it's enjoyable and maybe technologically, sonically, etc. advanced, but the songs themselves are simply ok to me.

Well SCREW YOU AND YOUR OPINION Loveless hater haha

This is a list:

4.Radiohead - Kid A

Well SCREW YOU AND YOUR OPINION Loveless hater haha

I actually own the Loveless album! I haven't listened to it in a long, long, long time though.