Posted 24 October 2017 - 04:55 PM

View PostJARG, on 24 October 2017 - 04:52 PM, said:

View PostWil1972, on 24 October 2017 - 03:05 PM, said:

View PostJARG, on 24 October 2017 - 02:16 PM, said:

View PostWil1972, on 24 October 2017 - 12:27 PM, said:

View PostJARG, on 24 October 2017 - 11:27 AM, said:

View PostWil1972, on 23 October 2017 - 03:43 PM, said:

https://www.youtube....mDLIfxhU&sns=fb

Ged is still in denial - he calls Neil's retirement an "extended hiatus".

No he didn't. He clearly says the word "I" in reference to his extended hiatus. Maybe he's personally taking a break from pursuing any big musical commitments for a while.

Guess we will find out tonight, but it surely seems to me by the tone of his answer that he is speaking of the band "ending". And it is only ending because Neil retired. I could be wrong but that is not what I got out of it. Again, we will see tonight.

So where does the "denial" come into play? You seem to be implying that Geddy can't accept Neil is retired.

He should just call it what it is
I'm pretty sure he did.

... He paused and chose his words carefully. He should just accept it. He should say, "Now that Neil has retired and Rush is over, I am traveling and pursuing new interests and hopefully soon I can find a new project to focus my energies." Or something along those lines. It just comes across like he cannot accept that his band is over.

Again, it's almost certainly the case that Geddy's hiatus doesn't have anything to do with Neil at this point. Like I said, perhaps Geddy is referencing a decision to take a break from any big musical commitments for the time being. I somehow doubt he was implying that he's just waiting around for Neil to wise up.

Maybe, maybe not. Its all speculation but that's how it comes across to me. Again, we will find out tonight.

Sponsored Post

#22 JARG

JARG

Pinky Moe

• Members *
  • 18929 posts
  • Interests:Cycling, guitar playing

Posted 24 October 2017 - 05:04 PM

View PostWil1972, on 24 October 2017 - 04:55 PM, said:

No he didn't. He clearly says the word "I" in reference to his extended hiatus. Maybe he's personally taking a break from pursuing any big musical commitments for a while.

Guess we will find out tonight, but it surely seems to me by the tone of his answer that he is speaking of the band "ending". And it is only ending because Neil retired. I could be wrong but that is not what I got out of it. Again, we will see tonight.

So where does the "denial" come into play? You seem to be implying that Geddy can't accept Neil is retired.

I'm pretty sure he did.

... He paused and chose his words carefully. He should just accept it. He should say, "Now that Neil has retired and Rush is over, I am traveling and pursuing new interests and hopefully soon I can find a new project to focus my energies." Or something along those lines. It just comes across like he cannot accept that his band is over.

Again, it's almost certainly the case that Geddy's hiatus doesn't have anything to do with Neil at this point. Like I said, perhaps Geddy is referencing a decision to take a break from any big musical commitments for the time being. I somehow doubt he was implying that he's just waiting around for Neil to wise up.

Maybe, maybe not. Its all speculation but that's how it comes across to me. Again, we will find out tonight.

Maybe. Maybe not. ;)

#23 Wil1972

Wil1972

Superconductor

• Members
  • 1437 posts

Posted 24 October 2017 - 06:11 PM

View PostJARG, on 24 October 2017 - 05:04 PM, said:

I'm pretty sure he did.

Maybe. Maybe not. ;)

Right! ;-)

#24 GabesCavesOfIce

GabesCavesOfIce

The God Of Balance

• Members *
  • 6471 posts
  • Location:Miamisburg, OH. Miamisburg, Oh. Miamisburg, Oh. Miamisburg, Oh
  • Interests:Miamisburg, Oh

Outland Empire (located on the opposite US coast from Johnny and Dave).

Posted 24 October 2017 - 09:50 PM

https://www.youtube....fxhU&sns=fb

I'm pretty sure he did.

Interesting Geddy referred to himself being on extended hiatus and not retired.

But, when Rather asked him at the end if he would ever tour in the future to support his own material, Geddy's demeanor changed completely. Boy did he get defensive.

#25 Ron2112

Ron2112

Prime Mover

• Members
  • 553 posts

Posted 31 October 2017 - 10:38 AM

View PostGabesCavesOfIce, on 24 October 2017 - 09:50 PM, said:

Interesting Geddy referred to himself being on extended hiatus and not retired.

But, when Rather asked him at the end if he would ever tour in the future to support his own material, Geddy's demeanor changed completely. Boy did he get defensive.

I don't know if I sensed "defensiveness," but yes, the vibe did change.  I suspect Geddy realizes at this point that he probably can't make the musical statement he wants to make without the other two.  Or perhaps he could, but it will take a LOT of relearning how to do things in a band or solo format.  And I suspect, to some extent, he's probably hoping he won't have to do that relearning.

And it doesn't help that the whole music industry business model has turned upside down, such that recording an album without touring behind it is surely a money-losing proposition.  Twenty years ago, you could be a studio-only band -- which might have suited Neil.  Today, it's probably a non-starter.

Edited by Ron2112, 31 October 2017 - 10:38 AM.

#26 JARG

JARG

Pinky Moe

• Members *
  • 18929 posts
  • Interests:Cycling, guitar playing

Posted 31 October 2017 - 02:24 PM

View PostRon2112, on 31 October 2017 - 10:38 AM, said:

Twenty years ago, you could be a studio-only band -- which might have suited Neil.  Today, it's probably a non-starter.
That seems completely backward. It used to be that in order to record music you had to rent studio time which could be damn expensive and the only reason you'd do it was because you hoped to recoup those costs via record sales and touring, but nowadays with the explosion of home studios, you can, for a relatively modest personal investment, produce a perfectly acceptable-sounding product. The pressure to tour and sell units to make up studio costs just isn't there in that model.

#27 Ron2112

Ron2112

Prime Mover

• Members
  • 553 posts

Posted 02 November 2017 - 09:40 AM

View PostJARG, on 31 October 2017 - 02:24 PM, said:

View PostRon2112, on 31 October 2017 - 10:38 AM, said:

Twenty years ago, you could be a studio-only band -- which might have suited Neil.  Today, it's probably a non-starter.
That seems completely backward. It used to be that in order to record music you had to rent studio time which could be damn expensive and the only reason you'd do it was because you hoped to recoup those costs via record sales and touring, but nowadays with the explosion of home studios, you can, for a relatively modest personal investment, produce a perfectly acceptable-sounding product. The pressure to tour and sell units to make up studio costs just isn't there in that model.

Nope.  The 70's business model was record an album, and then the record company would cover touring costs, because touring ultimately helped sell records.  Which is: a) why concert tickets used to be so cheap and b) why Rush didn't register a profit on the road until the PeW days.  Money for bands was primarily in the merchandise and publishing streams.

Now that records don't sell nearly as well, concert prices are up.  People will pay the prices and it's how bands make money.

Home recording doesn't really factor because pro bands are still going use pro studios, producers, etc.  Records still cost a lot to make.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users