Jump to content


Happy Halloween 2017! Quick! Name Your Top Ten Horror Flicks Of All Time!!!


  • Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#1 RUSHHEAD666

RUSHHEAD666

    My name is Earl

  • Members
  • 30019 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:California

Posted 21 October 2017 - 10:17 PM

Simple!

1. "Halloween"
2. "Halloween III: Season Of The Witch"
3.  "The Nightmare Before Christmas"
4.  "The Shining"
5.  "The Thing" Carpenter
6.  "The Fog"
7.  "Prince Of Darkness"
8.  "Christine"
9.  "Poltergeist" Hooper
10.  "Escape From Tomorrow"

Edited by RUSHHEAD666, 21 October 2017 - 10:18 PM.


Sponsored Post

#2 JohnnyBlaze

JohnnyBlaze

    The Ghost Rider

  • Members *
  • 30145 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 21 October 2017 - 11:04 PM

1. Psycho...the blueprint for horror movies

2. The Exorcist...probably the first movie that scared the crap out of me; something genuine seemed to be going on

3. The Shining...Kubrick + an acting feast by Jack = this has gotta be on the list

4. Alien...clever way to do horror

5. Halloween...the best of the standard slasher flicks

6. Silence of the Lambs...great bunch of actors and characters mixed with some twists and turns

7. The Omen...creepy little kid + Satan = quality

8. Night of the Living Dead...influential as hell

9. Texas Chainsaw Massacre...weird, gritty, terrorizing

10. An American Werewolf in London...a rockin' good time of a horror movie


* It should go without saying that I'm referring to the original versions of these films.


#3 JohnnyBlaze

JohnnyBlaze

    The Ghost Rider

  • Members *
  • 30145 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 21 October 2017 - 11:06 PM

I could've easily included Jaws and if so I'd put it at #6 and push everything else down. However, I never really thought of it as horror...even though it really is.

#4 RUSHHEAD666

RUSHHEAD666

    My name is Earl

  • Members
  • 30019 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:California

Posted 21 October 2017 - 11:23 PM

View PostJohnnyBlaze, on 21 October 2017 - 11:04 PM, said:

1. Psycho...the blueprint for horror movies

2. The Exorcist...probably the first movie that scared the crap out of me; something genuine seemed to be going on

3. The Shining...Kubrick + an acting feast by Jack = this has gotta be on the list

4. Alien...clever way to do horror

5. Halloween...the best of the standard slasher flicks

6. Silence of the Lambs...great bunch of actors and characters mixed with some twists and turns

7. The Omen...creepy little kid + Satan = quality

8. Night of the Living Dead...influential as hell

9. Texas Chainsaw Massacre...weird, gritty, terrorizing

10. An American Werewolf in London...a rockin' good time of a horror movie


* It should go without saying that I'm referring to the original versions of these films.

I love your list Johnny!!!!  Yes!  "Psycho!"  Hitchcock was a genius.  Carpenter's mentor.  Like Buddy Rich or Keith Moon to Neil Peart!

#5 RUSHHEAD666

RUSHHEAD666

    My name is Earl

  • Members
  • 30019 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:California

Posted 21 October 2017 - 11:24 PM

View PostJohnnyBlaze, on 21 October 2017 - 11:06 PM, said:

I could've easily included Jaws and if so I'd put it at #6 and push everything else down. However, I never really thought of it as horror...even though it really is.

Yes!  I get it buddy!  "Jaws" could work as horror in my mind.
I remember seeing that movie in the theater when my parents when I was just a little kid.

I couldn't sleep for a week!

#6 RUSHHEAD666

RUSHHEAD666

    My name is Earl

  • Members
  • 30019 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:California

Posted 21 October 2017 - 11:30 PM

Oh and JB, I still put "The Nightmare Before Christmas" on my Horror list.  There is some gray area there to perhaps but the film is quite spooky!

The Jack and Sally bit at the end always makes me tear up.

Yep I confess.  I always thought I would have been married forever.  It failed.

Hope one day I will find another Sally.  Or hopefully she will find me.

#7 Boots

Boots

    The Professor

  • Members *
  • 3036 posts
  • Gender:Not Telling
  • Location:The Final Frontier
  • Interests:art, supernatural, Holy Trinity of Metal, AC/DC, Iron Maiden, Opeth

Posted 21 October 2017 - 11:32 PM

1. The Ring
2. Pet Sematary
3. Friday the 13th
4. Nightmare on Elm Street
5. Annabelle
6. The Exorcist
7. The Conjuring
8. Drag Me to Hell
9. The Shining
10. Halloween


#8 RUSHHEAD666

RUSHHEAD666

    My name is Earl

  • Members
  • 30019 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:California

Posted 21 October 2017 - 11:40 PM

View PostBoots, on 21 October 2017 - 11:32 PM, said:

1. The Ring
2. Pet Sematary
3. Friday the 13th
4. Nightmare on Elm Street
5. Annabelle
6. The Exorcist
7. The Conjuring
8. Drag Me to Hell
9. The Shining
10. Halloween


Wow Boots!

I love how you mix to up with old school slashers and modern day mayhem.

I love "Pet Semetary!"  Just watched it a few weeks ago.  Amazing film.

I absolutely LOVE "DRAG ME TO HELL!"

Nice picks Boots!

#9 RUSHHEAD666

RUSHHEAD666

    My name is Earl

  • Members
  • 30019 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:California

Posted 21 October 2017 - 11:40 PM

I will admit "The Ring" does surprise me!

#10 JohnnyBlaze

JohnnyBlaze

    The Ghost Rider

  • Members *
  • 30145 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 22 October 2017 - 12:24 AM

View PostRUSHHEAD666, on 21 October 2017 - 11:30 PM, said:

Oh and JB, I still put "The Nightmare Before Christmas" on my Horror list.  There is some gray area there to perhaps but the film is quite spooky!

The Jack and Sally bit at the end always makes me tear up.

Yep I confess.  I always thought I would have been married forever.  It failed.

Hope one day I will find another Sally.  Or hopefully she will find me.

Not a fan of Burton's. He's got maybe 1 or 2 movies I find enjoyable and Nightmare isn't one of them. I fell asleep watching it the first time. The second time I tried I got bored.

Oh, I wouldn't say its horror. I'd say it's fantasy. But since it's Burton, it's dark automatically. Still wouldn't make it horror though IMHO.

Edited by JohnnyBlaze, 22 October 2017 - 12:26 AM.


#11 RUSHHEAD666

RUSHHEAD666

    My name is Earl

  • Members
  • 30019 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:California

Posted 22 October 2017 - 12:45 AM

View PostJohnnyBlaze, on 22 October 2017 - 12:24 AM, said:

View PostRUSHHEAD666, on 21 October 2017 - 11:30 PM, said:

Oh and JB, I still put "The Nightmare Before Christmas" on my Horror list.  There is some gray area there to perhaps but the film is quite spooky!

The Jack and Sally bit at the end always makes me tear up.

Yep I confess.  I always thought I would have been married forever.  It failed.

Hope one day I will find another Sally.  Or hopefully she will find me.

Not a fan of Burton's. He's got maybe 1 or 2 movies I find enjoyable and Nightmare isn't one of them. I fell asleep watching it the first time. The second time I tried I got bored.

Oh, I wouldn't say its horror. I'd say it's fantasy. But since it's Burton, it's dark automatically. Still wouldn't make it horror though IMHO.
I agree with you on overall Burton films.  Overrated and luckily Burton did not direct "The Nightmare Before Christmas" Henry Selick did! But yes very Burtonesque.  Did you like "Beetlejuice?"

I'm surprised you fell asleep during that movie.  I am the opposite man.  Could watching it over and over.  The end makes me tear up every time.

Brilliant film.

I must be a lot older than you.

I saw it in the theater and fell in love within seconds.

The soundtrack is also a masterpiece.

I only go to Disneyland when the Jack Skellington Haunted Holiday Mansion is in operation.

EPIC!

#12 Lucas

Lucas

    Leave That Wrench Alone

  • Members
  • 10812 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:NJ

Posted 22 October 2017 - 01:09 AM

Not necessarily in order - that's impossible !!

- Tale Of Two Sisters

- Suspiria

- Friday The 13th

- Suicide Club

- The Tenant

- Ju On

- Phantasm

- Pulse

- Dawn Of The Dead

- Picnic At Hanging Rock


Insert Texas Chainsaw Massacre, The Shining and The Thing anywhere on here on any given day

PENDING:

I saw Black Christmas back in the 80s and loved it .. I just got the blu ray, so let's see how it holds up

#13 JohnnyBlaze

JohnnyBlaze

    The Ghost Rider

  • Members *
  • 30145 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 22 October 2017 - 01:11 AM

View PostRUSHHEAD666, on 22 October 2017 - 12:45 AM, said:

View PostJohnnyBlaze, on 22 October 2017 - 12:24 AM, said:

View PostRUSHHEAD666, on 21 October 2017 - 11:30 PM, said:

Oh and JB, I still put "The Nightmare Before Christmas" on my Horror list.  There is some gray area there to perhaps but the film is quite spooky!

The Jack and Sally bit at the end always makes me tear up.

Yep I confess.  I always thought I would have been married forever.  It failed.

Hope one day I will find another Sally.  Or hopefully she will find me.

Not a fan of Burton's. He's got maybe 1 or 2 movies I find enjoyable and Nightmare isn't one of them. I fell asleep watching it the first time. The second time I tried I got bored.

Oh, I wouldn't say its horror. I'd say it's fantasy. But since it's Burton, it's dark automatically. Still wouldn't make it horror though IMHO.
I agree with you on overall Burton films.  Overrated and luckily Burton did not direct "The Nightmare Before Christmas" Henry Selick did! But yes very Burtonesque.  Did you like "Beetlejuice?"

I'm surprised you fell asleep during that movie.  I am the opposite man.  Could watching it over and over.  The end makes me tear up every time.

Brilliant film.

I must be a lot older than you.

I saw it in the theater and fell in love within seconds.

The soundtrack is also a masterpiece.

I only go to Disneyland when the Jack Skellington Haunted Holiday Mansion is in operation.

EPIC!

You're only 3-4 years older than me. I forgot your exact age.

The only Burton flicks I enjoyed are Beetlejuice and Pee Wee's Big Adventure. I did enjoy Batman and Ed Scissorhands but they fell way down after multiple viewings.

People love his flicks and all that but how many decades of the same thing can people take?! More apparently. And the accompanying  "bom-bom-bom-bom" Elfman soundtracks got tiresome even before I finished high school over 25 years ago.

#14 Stormtron

Stormtron

    The God Of Balance

  • Members *
  • 7034 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:VA

Posted 22 October 2017 - 06:10 AM

Evil Dead 2
The Thing
Trick 'r Treat
Alien
The Shining
A Nightmare on Elm Street 3: Dream Warriors
The Return of the Living Dead
Phantasm
Suspiria
Halloween

A mix of classics and bad shit I just love (NOES 3!). This is almost impossible for me if I really think about it though.

#15 custom55

custom55

    The God Of Balance

  • Members
  • 6027 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Nutley, NJ
  • Interests:Snowboarding & Retirement.

    On deck shows:


    Phish - Dec
    Robert Plant - Feb
    The Musical Box w/LeGorLaTroy - Feb
    Robin Trower - Mar
    Foo Fighters - Jul

Posted 22 October 2017 - 11:41 AM

The first Halloween
All Bela Lugois films

Nosferatu


Edited by custom55, 22 October 2017 - 11:42 AM.


#16 Todem

Todem

    Brosaucerous

  • Members
  • 2223 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Parkland, Florida
  • Interests:Playing guitar, writing,recording and performing music, coaching and playing baseball, golf, tennis, stocks, playing video games, spending as much time as I can with my wife and son.

Posted 22 October 2017 - 11:46 AM

Other than Halloween which is and will always be my all time #1 Horror film the rest are favorites of mine in no particular order.



1) Halloween

2) The Shining

3) The Thing

4) Insidious

5) The Conjuring

6) The Fog

7) A Nightmare On Elm Street

8) Jaws

9) Alien

10) The Exorcist

#17 JohnnyBlaze

JohnnyBlaze

    The Ghost Rider

  • Members *
  • 30145 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 22 October 2017 - 06:18 PM

View PostTodem, on 22 October 2017 - 11:46 AM, said:



4) Insidious



This and The Descent are two highly enjoyable, modern horror flicks which both came as pleasant surprises

#18 RUSHHEAD666

RUSHHEAD666

    My name is Earl

  • Members
  • 30019 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:California

Posted 23 October 2017 - 08:03 PM

View PostJohnnyBlaze, on 22 October 2017 - 01:11 AM, said:

View PostRUSHHEAD666, on 22 October 2017 - 12:45 AM, said:

View PostJohnnyBlaze, on 22 October 2017 - 12:24 AM, said:

View PostRUSHHEAD666, on 21 October 2017 - 11:30 PM, said:

Oh and JB, I still put "The Nightmare Before Christmas" on my Horror list.  There is some gray area there to perhaps but the film is quite spooky!

The Jack and Sally bit at the end always makes me tear up.

Yep I confess.  I always thought I would have been married forever.  It failed.

Hope one day I will find another Sally.  Or hopefully she will find me.

Not a fan of Burton's. He's got maybe 1 or 2 movies I find enjoyable and Nightmare isn't one of them. I fell asleep watching it the first time. The second time I tried I got bored.

Oh, I wouldn't say its horror. I'd say it's fantasy. But since it's Burton, it's dark automatically. Still wouldn't make it horror though IMHO.
I agree with you on overall Burton films.  Overrated and luckily Burton did not direct "The Nightmare Before Christmas" Henry Selick did! But yes very Burtonesque.  Did you like "Beetlejuice?"

I'm surprised you fell asleep during that movie.  I am the opposite man.  Could watching it over and over.  The end makes me tear up every time.

Brilliant film.

I must be a lot older than you.

I saw it in the theater and fell in love within seconds.

The soundtrack is also a masterpiece.

I only go to Disneyland when the Jack Skellington Haunted Holiday Mansion is in operation.

EPIC!

You're only 3-4 years older than me. I forgot your exact age.

The only Burton flicks I enjoyed are Beetlejuice and Pee Wee's Big Adventure. I did enjoy Batman and Ed Scissorhands but they fell way down after multiple viewings.

People love his flicks and all that but how many decades of the same thing can people take?! More apparently. And the accompanying  "bom-bom-bom-bom" Elfman soundtracks got tiresome even before I finished high school over 25 years ago.

I'm 49 Johnny.  Going on 18.

Yes, I love Pee Wee's first movie and also "Edward Scissorhands!  Classic!

#19 RUSHHEAD666

RUSHHEAD666

    My name is Earl

  • Members
  • 30019 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:California

Posted 23 October 2017 - 08:04 PM

View PostLucas, on 22 October 2017 - 01:09 AM, said:

Not necessarily in order - that's impossible !!

- Tale Of Two Sisters

- Suspiria

- Friday The 13th

- Suicide Club

- The Tenant

- Ju On

- Phantasm

- Pulse

- Dawn Of The Dead

- Picnic At Hanging Rock


Insert Texas Chainsaw Massacre, The Shining and The Thing anywhere on here on any given day

PENDING:

I saw Black Christmas back in the 80s and loved it .. I just got the blu ray, so let's see how it holds up

I just picked up Black Christmas on bluray!  I love the slipcase cover!!

#20 goose

goose

    Honkin' in Nevada

  • Members *
  • 53759 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Sierra Nevada foothills, East Slope
  • Interests:Comical conies

Posted 23 October 2017 - 08:15 PM

In no particular order...

House of 10,000 Corpses (wicked good Rob Zombie film)
Freaks (Classic.  The real deal)
Wait Until Dark (Real world sustained suspense)
Shadow of the Vampire (Malkovich, Dafoe, comic-horror genius)
Friday the 13th (better when Jason isn't the killer)
Scream (the first one is pretty smart)
At Midnight I'll Take Your Soul (Brazilian horror genius)
Psycho (Hitchcock's terror masterpiece)
The Omen (Best Revelations film ever)
Race with the Devil (70's chase-terror with Peter Fonda, Warren Oates, Loretta Swit)




0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users