Was Devo an inspiration for the R40 Live Tour?

RushFanForever

I stumbled upon this recent article on Devo here from The New Yorker that discusses their iconic cover of the Rolling Stones’ “Satisfaction”.

Here's the part that stands out.

"One impediment to the band’s wider success was that, as far as Devo was concerned, Devo wasn’t a band at all but, rather, an art project, created to advance Casale’s theory of “de-evolution,” the concept that instead of evolving, society was in fact regressing (“de-evolving”) as humans embraced their baser instincts."

"The center-point of the R40 Live Tour was the remarkable set list, coupled with their idea of a “de-evolution” set design"

The Rush roadies had uniforms on, which the members of Devo are known for, along with their famous "energy dome" hats.

Edited by RushFanForever

I stumbled upon this recent article on Devo here from The New Yorker that discusses their iconic cover of the Rolling Stones’ “Satisfaction”.

Here's the part that stands out.

"One impediment to the band’s wider success was that, as far as Devo was concerned, Devo wasn’t a band at all but, rather, an art project, created to advance Casale’s theory of “de-evolution,” the concept that instead of evolving, society was in fact regressing (“de-evolving”) as humans embraced their baser instincts."

"The center-point of the R40 Live Tour was the remarkable set list, coupled with their idea of a “de-evolution” set design"

The Rush roadies had uniforms on, which the members of Devo are known for, along with their famous "energy dome" hats.

No. It was pretty simple, really. They were just going in reverse chronological order, including their equipment setups. No band starts with a wall of Marshalls.

I think it's likely that DEVO's classic devolving stage show came up in conversation during planning, since RUSH has ties to members of the group through projects like the Superconductor video.

I think it's likely that DEVO's classic devolving stage show came up in conversation during planning, since RUSH has ties to members of the group through projects like the Superconductor video.

Thank you for that comment. :cheers:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2c8b55pJeNk

Anyone in the band ever comment about this video?