Was Devo an inspiration for the R40 Live Tour?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 RushFanForever

RushFanForever

Superconductor

• Members
  • 1087 posts

Posted 19 October 2017 - 09:53 PM

I stumbled upon this recent article on Devo here from The New Yorker that discusses their iconic cover of the Rolling Stones’ “Satisfaction”.

Here's the part that stands out.

"One impediment to the band’s wider success was that, as far as Devo was concerned, Devo wasn’t a band at all but, rather, an art project, created to advance Casale’s theory of “de-evolution,” the concept that instead of evolving, society was in fact regressing (“de-evolving”) as humans embraced their baser instincts."

"The center-point of the R40 Live Tour was the remarkable set list, coupled with their idea of a “de-evolution” set design"

The Rush roadies had uniforms on, which the members of Devo are known for, along with their famous "energy dome" hats.

Edited by RushFanForever, 19 October 2017 - 09:59 PM.

Sponsored Post

#2 treeduck

treeduck

Tenacious T

• Members *
  • 83472 posts

Posted 19 October 2017 - 09:59 PM

Posted Image

#3 Fordgalaxy

Fordgalaxy

The Professor

• Members *
  • 3732 posts

Posted 19 October 2017 - 10:09 PM

View PostRushFanForever, on 19 October 2017 - 09:53 PM, said:

I stumbled upon this recent article on Devo here from The New Yorker that discusses their iconic cover of the Rolling Stones’ “Satisfaction”.

Here's the part that stands out.

"One impediment to the band’s wider success was that, as far as Devo was concerned, Devo wasn’t a band at all but, rather, an art project, created to advance Casale’s theory of “de-evolution,” the concept that instead of evolving, society was in fact regressing (“de-evolving”) as humans embraced their baser instincts."

"The center-point of the R40 Live Tour was the remarkable set list, coupled with their idea of a “de-evolution” set design"

The Rush roadies had uniforms on, which the members of Devo are known for, along with their famous "energy dome" hats.

No. It was pretty simple, really. They were just going in reverse chronological order, including their equipment setups. No band starts with a wall of Marshalls.

#4 goose

goose

Honkin' in Nevada

• Members *
  • 53725 posts
  • Interests:Comical conies

Posted 20 October 2017 - 08:37 AM

I think it's likely that DEVO's classic devolving stage show came up in conversation during planning, since RUSH has ties to members of the group through projects like the Superconductor video.

#5 RushFanForever

RushFanForever

Superconductor

• Members
  • 1087 posts

Posted 20 October 2017 - 10:00 AM

View Postgoose, on 20 October 2017 - 08:37 AM, said:

I think it's likely that DEVO's classic devolving stage show came up in conversation during planning, since RUSH has ties to members of the group through projects like the Superconductor video.

Thank you for that comment. :cheers:

#6 ytserush

ytserush

The Professor

• Members *
  • 3885 posts

Posted 27 October 2017 - 03:38 PM

View PostRushFanForever, on 20 October 2017 - 10:00 AM, said:

View Postgoose, on 20 October 2017 - 08:37 AM, said:

Thank you for that comment. :cheers:

Anyone in the band ever comment about this video?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users