All Right Now and Rock'n Me?

Texas King

All Right Now or Rock'n Me?  

16 members have voted

1. 1. Which song do you prefer?

• Free - All Right Now
    • Steve Miller Band - Rock'n Me
  2. 2. Is the main riff in "Rock'n Me" a rip of "All Right Now"?

There are obvious similarities between those riffs, and it's easy to assume that Miller was at least inspired by the Free song, but I wouldn't call his version a ripoff. That said, I strongly prefer All Right Now. Paul Kossoff's guitar work makes it an easy call.
  • Like 3

Rip off might be taking it a step too far - as 73 said, there are similarities, but I wouldn't go as far as calling theft

That said, Free and All Right Now gets my vote, easy decision ...

Steve Miller has some good songs, but I'm not a fan of his guitar tone on Rock'n Me - sort of kills the vibe for me

Edited by Lucas
  • Like 1

Boy I got so burned out on both of these songs years ago when I had to play them to death in bar bands. I can’t even listen to either one anymore. But that being said… I guess I would slightly leaning towards the Free song.
  • Like 1

the openings to both tunes are predominantly I to IV, although in different keys. Add the similar phrasing and rhythm and you start to hear the similarities. Then Miller throws in the ending riff and that changes it.

How many rock songs have a I to IV progression that's similar? Tons.

Not a rip-off at all, just a really vague, simple influence at most.

Boy I got so burned out on both of these songs years ago when I had to play them to death in bar bands. I can’t even listen to either one anymore. But that being said… I guess I would slightly leaning towards the Free song.

both are garage band 101 so they wear out their charm quickly.

they both sound like they were just dicking around and wrote it accidentally. like when joe perry wrote walk this way.

Edited by HemiBeers

they both sound like they were just dicking around and wrote it accidentally. like when joe perry wrote walk this way.

whoaaaaaaa Nellie !!!

A better term might be "effortless"

Not every song is as pain stakingly perfected as Shang A Lang

whoaaaaaaa Nellie !!!

A better term might be "effortless"

Not every song is as pain stakingly perfected as Shang A Lang

Simple is OK. So many rock songs have very simple melodies.