RIP Gord Downie

Boots

If you were a kid growing up in Canada from 1985 to 2000, then the Tragically Hip were probably your favourite band.

And if they weren't your favourite band, then they were your boyfriend's favourite band.

I wanted to stay home and write a poem, but I had to go to work.

http://youtu.be/d7fj2wCJnCo

Edited by Boots

I hope that many non-Canadians will see the new Tragically Hip documentary 'Long Time Running' (posted here) that comes out on Netflix in late November.

You'll understand why Geddy, Alex and Neil are fans of the band after all these years.

Edited by RushFanForever
  • Like 3

If you were a kid growing up in Canada from 1985 to 2000, then the Tragically Hip were probably your favourite band.

And if they weren't your favourite band, then they were your boyfriend's favourite band.

I wanted to stay home and write a poem, but I had to go to work.

http://youtu.be/d7fj2wCJnCo

Some in America also

RIP Gord

:(

I hope that many non-Canadians will see the new Tragically Hip documentary 'Long Time Running' (posted here) that comes out on Netflix sometime in November.

You'll understand why Geddy, Alex and Neil are fans of the band after all these years.

Did not know the Netflix news. Brings something to look forward to on a sullen day

Long time fan in NYC. Drove to Ottawa last year to see Gord live at least one more time, and experience The Hip with 22,000 fans at least once.

Spoiled to have seen them in intimate city clubs for so many years.

• Like 2

I am not that familiar with The Tragically Hip, I have only listened to Fully Completely. I liked it very much. I know he meant a lot to a lot of people. RIP.

I highly recommend a full discropahy run...

Road apples and day for night are two of my personal faves and sheer underated classics by most of the US

Justin Trudeau's blog:

http://pm.gc.ca/eng/...ath-gord-downie

October 18, 2017

“For almost five decades, Gord Downie uncovered and told the stories of Canada. He was the frontman of one of Canada’s most iconic bands, a rock star, artist, and poet whose evocative lyrics came to define a country.

“The Tragically Hip’s music invited us to explore places we had never been – from Mistaken Point to Churchill – and helped us understand each other, while capturing the complexity and vastness of the place we call home.

“Gord’s command of language was profound. He painted landscapes with his words, elevating Canadian geography, historical figures, and myths. When he spoke, he gave us goosebumps and made us proud to be Canadian. Our identity and culture are richer because of his music, which was always raw and honest – like Gord himself.

“In the wake of his diagnosis, Gord only fought harder for what he believed in: social justice, environmentalism, and reconciliation with Indigenous Peoples. Before passing, he shined his light on the story of 12-year-old Chanie Wenjack who died from hunger and exposure after trying to find his way home from a residential school. For his work raising awareness of Indigenous issues, he was inducted as a member of the Order of Canada in 2017.

“Gord did not rest from working for the issues he cared about, and his commitment and passion will continue to motivate Canadians for years to come.

Edited by Boots
  • Like 2

I am not that familiar with The Tragically Hip, I have only listened to Fully Completely. I liked it very much. I know he meant a lot to a lot of people. RIP.

Excellent record.

RIP!

Did you get to see them on their 2015 Fully Completely tour?

From the Canadian Press via The National Post.

'A national hero': Geddy Lee, Dan Aykroyd, Steven Page reflect on Gord Downie

“He’s a national hero,” said Rush frontman Geddy Lee. “There are lots of different ways that people handle this kind of thing and mostly, if you look at people like David Bowie, et cetera, how they handled their illnesses, they chose to handle it very quietly — and he did not.

“He wanted to go out doing what he loved to do, and trying to do as much good with the time he had left, so for me that’s a courageous act.”

“Quite frankly this has hit me pretty hard,” added Lee, pausing for a moment so he wouldn’t cry.

“I think when we saw him up there (on stage) we thought he could beat the devil. To wake up to that news (of his death) just reminds us of how vulnerable we all are.

“It’s a terrible loss for this country and it’s a terrible loss to what Canadian music is. It’s a profound loss of an amazing person.”