Jump to content


Superconductor: Explain the hate, because I like.


  • Please log in to reply
81 replies to this topic

#1 fraroc

fraroc

    Solar Federalist

  • Members
  • 2469 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Interests:Rock music, roller coasters, aviation, writing novels,

Posted 17 October 2017 - 08:28 PM

Seriously, I like this song a lot. It's a very catchy song with a great riff and when it was preformed live, it seriously looked like they had a lot of fun playing it. I'd rather listen to Superconductor any day over Rivendell, Dog Years, or The Speed of Love.

Sponsored Post

#2 Entre_Perpetuo

Entre_Perpetuo

    Queenmaster

  • Members
  • 3637 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:The Solar Federation
  • Interests:QueenRushMuseYeah! Oh and MtG.

Posted 17 October 2017 - 08:34 PM

I've never really understood it other than the backup vocals and the production (both courtesy of that one producer iirc). Fine tune.

#3 JohnnyBlaze

JohnnyBlaze

    The Ghost Rider

  • Members *
  • 30269 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 17 October 2017 - 08:35 PM

I hate eggs of all types. Slimy texture depending on the cooking style, unpleasing odor, and the taste makes me want to gag. However, it remains a beloved dish by millions if not billions.
A simple matter of...taste.

Oh Superconductor...
When Rush played it on the Presto tour I remember the crowd and them loving it! It's a decent song I think. It's not Presto's best but certainly not its worst either. I also enjoy it more than half of Roll the Bones. :yes:

When the topic of "worst or bad Rush songs" is mentioned, I never think of Superconductor.


#4 treeduck

treeduck

    Tenacious T

  • Members *
  • 84405 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Manchester, England

Posted 17 October 2017 - 08:38 PM

It's the chorus that really kills it with the Van Morrison wannabe going "Superconducterrrrrr"...

Edited by treeduck, 17 October 2017 - 09:24 PM.


#5 bluefox4000

bluefox4000

    I never talk to strangers

  • Members
  • 15856 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Long Island, NY
  • Interests:Music, Reading, Talking

Posted 17 October 2017 - 08:46 PM

it sounds like a battery commercial jingle.

Mick

#6 Wil1972

Wil1972

    Superconductor

  • Members
  • 1477 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Alabama

Posted 17 October 2017 - 08:58 PM

View Postfraroc, on 17 October 2017 - 08:28 PM, said:

Seriously, I like this song a lot. It's a very catchy song with a great riff and when it was preformed live, it seriously looked like they had a lot of fun playing it. I'd rather listen to Superconductor any day over Rivendell, Dog Years, or The Speed of Love.

I've always liked it too. Never got why it is hated.

#7 Ancient Ways

Ancient Ways

    That's Itâ„¢ Sig

  • Members
  • 16015 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:iEarth
  • Interests:Hanging out with my kids, riding my bike, playing guitar.

Posted 17 October 2017 - 09:06 PM

Sounds like they were told they needed one more song quickly to fill out the cd and put this piece of crap together

#8 bluefox4000

bluefox4000

    I never talk to strangers

  • Members
  • 15856 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Long Island, NY
  • Interests:Music, Reading, Talking

Posted 17 October 2017 - 09:12 PM

View PostAncient Ways, on 17 October 2017 - 09:06 PM, said:

Sounds like they were told they needed one more song quickly to fill out the cd and put this piece of crap together

yea to me it's the kind  of song the term filler was coined for.

Mick

#9 1-0-0-1-0-0-1

1-0-0-1-0-0-1

    73

  • Admin
  • 33797 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:New York

Posted 17 October 2017 - 09:14 PM

View Postfraroc, on 17 October 2017 - 08:28 PM, said:

I'd rather listen to Superconductor any day over Rivendell, Dog Years, or The Speed of Love.

That ain't saying much.

#10 PolarizeMe

PolarizeMe

    Vapor Trail

  • Members
  • 18452 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:NO FUTURE.
  • Interests:NO FUN. NOT EVER.

Posted 17 October 2017 - 09:19 PM

View Post1-0-0-1-0-0-1, on 17 October 2017 - 09:14 PM, said:

View Postfraroc, on 17 October 2017 - 08:28 PM, said:

I'd rather listen to Superconductor any day over Rivendell, Dog Years, or The Speed of Love.

That ain't saying much.
Add Tai Shan in there for good measure.

#11 bluefox4000

bluefox4000

    I never talk to strangers

  • Members
  • 15856 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Long Island, NY
  • Interests:Music, Reading, Talking

Posted 17 October 2017 - 09:19 PM

View Postfraroc, on 17 October 2017 - 08:28 PM, said:

I'd rather listen to Superconductor any day over Rivendell, Dog Years, or The Speed of Love.

I do ya one better.  i skip all of those, lol  as well as superconductor

Mick

#12 JohnnyBlaze

JohnnyBlaze

    The Ghost Rider

  • Members *
  • 30269 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 17 October 2017 - 09:20 PM

View Post1-0-0-1-0-0-1, on 17 October 2017 - 09:14 PM, said:

View Postfraroc, on 17 October 2017 - 08:28 PM, said:

I'd rather listen to Superconductor any day over Rivendell, Dog Years, or The Speed of Love.

That ain't saying much.

That's true.

I don't know how much this is saying but I like it more than Anagram (for Mongo) and Hand Over Fist

#13 Permanent-Rush

Permanent-Rush

    The Dream Police

  • Members
  • 35673 posts
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:Down on Fascination Street
  • Interests:The Cure and 80's music

Posted 17 October 2017 - 09:22 PM

tbh I don't like it much but I certently don't hate it

#14 RUSHHEAD666

RUSHHEAD666

    My name is Earl

  • Members
  • 30049 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:California

Posted 17 October 2017 - 09:24 PM

View PostJohnnyBlaze, on 17 October 2017 - 08:35 PM, said:

I hate eggs of all types. Slimy texture depending on the cooking style, unpleasing odor, and the taste makes me want to gag. However, it remains a beloved dish by millions if not billions.
A simple matter of...taste.

Oh Superconductor...
When Rush played it on the Presto tour I remember the crowd and them loving it! It's a decent song I think. It's not Presto's best but certainly not its worst either. I also enjoy it more than half of Roll the Bones. :yes:

When the topic of "worst or bad Rush songs" is mentioned, I never think of Superconductor.

Saw that tour four times!  LOVED THIS SONG LIVE!  I have always loved this song!  Nice cowbell smack to open the track!

#15 RUSHHEAD666

RUSHHEAD666

    My name is Earl

  • Members
  • 30049 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:California

Posted 17 October 2017 - 09:25 PM

Lot's of HATE on here for the PRESTO album on here too.  it's a 10!  JMO

#16 Lucas

Lucas

    Leave That Wrench Alone

  • Members
  • 10906 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:NJ

Posted 17 October 2017 - 09:36 PM

Fair or not, some of the hate might have to do with the embarrassing video ..

Unfortunately, the video suits the song perfectly

#17 goose

goose

    Honkin' in Nevada

  • Members *
  • 54045 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Sierra Nevada foothills, East Slope
  • Interests:Comical conies

Posted 17 October 2017 - 10:02 PM

View PostLucas, on 17 October 2017 - 09:36 PM, said:

Fair or not, some of the hate might have to do with the embarrassing video ..

The video is terrible.  :yes:

I like the song, Alex's guitar crunch, and, especially, the groovy bridge.

#18 JohnnyBlaze

JohnnyBlaze

    The Ghost Rider

  • Members *
  • 30269 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 17 October 2017 - 10:07 PM

View PostLucas, on 17 October 2017 - 09:36 PM, said:

Fair or not, some of the hate might have to do with the embarrassing video ..

Unfortunately, the video suits the song perfectly

Hard to know. But I'd guess nearly all Rush fans heard the song way before they saw the video. If anything, the most likely case for haters would've been that they hated the song first then later hated the video TOO.

And thinking along those lines, the even shittier Time Stand Still video hasn't seemed to stop fans from liking that song

Edited by JohnnyBlaze, 17 October 2017 - 10:07 PM.


#19 Lucas

Lucas

    Leave That Wrench Alone

  • Members
  • 10906 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:NJ

Posted 17 October 2017 - 10:21 PM

View PostJohnnyBlaze, on 17 October 2017 - 10:07 PM, said:

View PostLucas, on 17 October 2017 - 09:36 PM, said:

Fair or not, some of the hate might have to do with the embarrassing video ..

Unfortunately, the video suits the song perfectly

Hard to know. But I'd guess nearly all Rush fans heard the song way before they saw the video. If anything, the most likely case for haters would've been that they hated the song first then later hated the video TOO.

And thinking along those lines, the even shittier Time Stand Still video hasn't seemed to stop fans from liking that song

Posted Image

#20 JohnnyBlaze

JohnnyBlaze

    The Ghost Rider

  • Members *
  • 30269 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 17 October 2017 - 10:29 PM

View PostLucas, on 17 October 2017 - 10:21 PM, said:

View PostJohnnyBlaze, on 17 October 2017 - 10:07 PM, said:

View PostLucas, on 17 October 2017 - 09:36 PM, said:

Fair or not, some of the hate might have to do with the embarrassing video ..

Unfortunately, the video suits the song perfectly

Hard to know. But I'd guess nearly all Rush fans heard the song way before they saw the video. If anything, the most likely case for haters would've been that they hated the song first then later hated the video TOO.

And thinking along those lines, the even shittier Time Stand Still video hasn't seemed to stop fans from liking that song

Posted Image

On top of its crumminess, I always thought that they looked like they just got out of bed for that video.
Still, very good song & lyrics




0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users