Is Rik Emmett in the same league with Alex Lifeson?

• Please log in to reply
65 replies to this topic

Poll: Is Rik Emmett in the same league with Alex Lifeson? (27 member(s) have cast votes)

Is Rik Emmett in the same league with Alex Lifeson?

1. Yes, hands down. (13 votes [48.15%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 48.15%

2. Definitely no! (5 votes [18.52%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 18.52%

3. I really don't know. (6 votes [22.22%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 22.22%

4. Rik is even better than Lerxst. (3 votes [11.11%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 11.11%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#41 JohnnyBlaze

JohnnyBlaze

The Ghost Rider

• Members *
  • 30145 posts

Posted 18 October 2017 - 08:19 PM

View PostXanadoood, on 18 October 2017 - 08:04 PM, said:

View Postedhunter, on 18 October 2017 - 07:56 PM, said:

I saw Emmett do a solo show at this little dive in Utah in '01 or so. He'd play a song, take a request, tell a story...

He mentioned that he had to dumb down a lot of his early riffs because the other 2 couldn't handle them.

He us the far more accomplished player. I don't see Alex doing a classical album, or a jazz album.

But that's the issue. He spent most of his career playing in a second rate hard rock band. I saw him and Steve Morse doing a classical guitar duet thing.. Emmett should have just been a guitar solo guy. He completely wasted his talent in an arena rock band, a goofy one who put on Blinding light shows and who lived for the weekend

That's one way to look at it.

The other way is this:
He made albums with Triumph for 10-11 years. His solo career has more than doubled that in terms of album output and actual years. And then there's the fact that he's gotten more critical acclaim outside of Triumph too. Then you can tack on his writing contributions to Guitar Player magazine and his time teaching songwriting and music business at that Toronto college.

"Wasting his talent" is something I'd never connect with Rik despite there being some cheesy Triumph songs.

Edited by JohnnyBlaze, 18 October 2017 - 08:19 PM.

Sponsored Post

#42 HemiBeers

HemiBeers

The Professor

• Members
  • 3775 posts
  • Interests:playfully annoying on the verge of inappropriate.

Posted 18 October 2017 - 08:42 PM

View PostJohnnyBlaze, on 18 October 2017 - 08:19 PM, said:

I saw Emmett do a solo show at this little dive in Utah in '01 or so. He'd play a song, take a request, tell a story...

He mentioned that he had to dumb down a lot of his early riffs because the other 2 couldn't handle them.

He us the far more accomplished player. I don't see Alex doing a classical album, or a jazz album.

But that's the issue. He spent most of his career playing in a second rate hard rock band. I saw him and Steve Morse doing a classical guitar duet thing.. Emmett should have just been a guitar solo guy. He completely wasted his talent in an arena rock band, a goofy one who put on Blinding light shows and who lived for the weekend

The other way is this:
He made albums with Triumph for 10-11 years. His solo career has more than doubled that in terms of album output and actual years. And then there's the fact that he's gotten more critical acclaim outside of Triumph too. Then you can tack on his writing contributions to Guitar Player magazine and his time teaching songwriting and music business at that Toronto college.

"Wasting his talent" is something I'd never connect with Rik despite there being some cheesy Triumph songs.
here's another angle...those years 'wasting' his talent with triumph is the likely source of most of his career income. it's not all about artistic integrity.

i'm sure the guys in rush had to dial back their own creativity for the collective good of the band.

#43 JohnnyBlaze

JohnnyBlaze

The Ghost Rider

• Members *
  • 30145 posts

Posted 18 October 2017 - 08:44 PM

View PostNate2112, on 18 October 2017 - 06:40 PM, said:

View PostJohnnyBlaze, on 17 October 2017 - 07:42 PM, said:

View PostXanadoood, on 17 October 2017 - 07:14 PM, said:

No. Tossing a classical guitar piece on an album full of cheesy arena rock tunes doesn't make one great.

You make Triumph sound like Bon Jovi

Both of them suck

Posted Image

#44 JohnnyBlaze

JohnnyBlaze

The Ghost Rider

• Members *
  • 30145 posts

Posted 18 October 2017 - 08:46 PM

View PostHemiBeers, on 18 October 2017 - 08:42 PM, said:

View PostJohnnyBlaze, on 18 October 2017 - 08:19 PM, said:

The other way is this:

here's another angle...those years 'wasting' his talent with triumph is the likely source of most of his career income. it's not all about artistic integrity.

i'm sure the guys in rush had to dial back their own creativity for the collective good of the band.

And I wouldn't say Rush wasted their talents either

Edited by JohnnyBlaze, 18 October 2017 - 08:58 PM.

#45 RUSHHEAD666

RUSHHEAD666

My name is Earl

• Members
  • 30019 posts

Posted 18 October 2017 - 08:49 PM

View Postcanadianice, on 17 October 2017 - 12:55 PM, said:

You mean bowling?. yup they are, tuesday nights.

LOL!

#46 JohnnyBlaze

JohnnyBlaze

The Ghost Rider

• Members *
  • 30145 posts

Posted 18 October 2017 - 08:50 PM

Edited by JohnnyBlaze, 18 October 2017 - 08:59 PM.

#47 RUSHHEAD666

RUSHHEAD666

My name is Earl

• Members
  • 30019 posts

Posted 18 October 2017 - 08:52 PM

View PostJohnnyBlaze, on 18 October 2017 - 08:44 PM, said:

No. Tossing a classical guitar piece on an album full of cheesy arena rock tunes doesn't make one great.

Both of them suck

Posted Image

Kirk is loving that giant petrified penis!!!!  John Holmes?

Rik is a fantastic guitarist!!  TRIUMPH ROCKS!!!!

Sadly Triumph will always be labeled RUSH JR.

#48 RUSHHEAD666

RUSHHEAD666

My name is Earl

• Members
  • 30019 posts

Posted 18 October 2017 - 08:54 PM

View Postcanadianice, on 17 October 2017 - 12:55 PM, said:

You mean bowling?. yup they are, tuesday nights.

They could be playing each other on different teams in a softball league!

#49 Boots

Boots

The Professor

• Members *
  • 3036 posts
  • Interests:art, supernatural, Holy Trinity of Metal, AC/DC, Iron Maiden, Opeth

Posted 18 October 2017 - 09:03 PM

They are in the same league.  Rik is amazing live.  He plays rock as well as jazz and Latin music.  He can play a double-necked guitar like no one else.  His playing ability exceeds that of Eddie Van Halen and Slash. He also teaches at Humber College and writes a music column.

#50 treeduck

treeduck

Tenacious T

• Members *
  • 83534 posts

Posted 18 October 2017 - 09:22 PM

View PostBoots, on 18 October 2017 - 09:03 PM, said:

They are in the same league.  Rik is amazing live.  He plays rock as well as jazz and Latin music.  He can play a double-necked guitar like no one else.  His playing ability exceeds that of Eddie Van Halen and Slash. He also teaches at Humber College and writes a music column.
And you think he's sexy too! :coy:

#51 EagleMoon

EagleMoon

Beauty and the Bass

• Members
  • 21776 posts
  • Interests:GUI and graphic design, writing, reading, hiking with my dog and photography.

Posted 18 October 2017 - 10:46 PM

I always thought Rik was a great guitarist but he didn’t have the luck to be in the same band as Neil and Geddy.

#52 JohnnyBlaze

JohnnyBlaze

The Ghost Rider

• Members *
  • 30145 posts

Posted 18 October 2017 - 11:21 PM

If not the same league, they've at least shared the same stage more than once

Posted Image

#53 Xanadoood

Xanadoood

The God Of Balance

• Members *
  • 5475 posts
  • Interests:Music
    Biking
    Mountain Climbing
    Running
    Movies
    Reading

Posted 18 October 2017 - 11:34 PM

View PostJohnnyBlaze, on 18 October 2017 - 11:21 PM, said:

Posted Image

They just covered Blinding Light Show

#54 Lucas

Lucas

Leave That Wrench Alone

• Members
  • 10812 posts

Posted 18 October 2017 - 11:38 PM

View PostXanadoood, on 18 October 2017 - 11:34 PM, said:

Posted Image

Well they sure as hell weren't going to play anything off of Victor

#55 RUSHHEAD666

RUSHHEAD666

My name is Earl

• Members
  • 30019 posts

Posted 18 October 2017 - 11:51 PM

View PostLucas, on 18 October 2017 - 11:38 PM, said:

Posted Image

They could have at least played "Lay It On The Dreamline"

#56 JohnnyBlaze

JohnnyBlaze

The Ghost Rider

• Members *
  • 30145 posts

Posted 18 October 2017 - 11:54 PM

View PostRUSHHEAD666, on 18 October 2017 - 11:51 PM, said:

View PostLucas, on 18 October 2017 - 11:38 PM, said:

Posted Image

They could have at least played "Lay It On The Dreamline"

Magic Power Windows

Allied Forces 10

#57 toymaker

toymaker

The God Of Balance

• Members
  • 5898 posts
  • Interests:Songwriting and recording, cycling, movies, guitar and bass collecting

Posted 19 October 2017 - 07:08 PM

I think Emmett is a great guitarist, and he's written some great riffs and solos.  I have no doubt he knows the fretboard like nobody's business and knows every chord.  I saw him at a guitar workshop, and he played a jazzy thing where every beat was a different chord.  It was cool, but frankly forgettable.  He's a great shredder, and his solos (such as in Rock and Roll Machine) can have different facets.

But still . . . I don't think I've really ever heard him do something unique.  A lot of his licks seem grabbed from the big cosmic bag o' rock guitar licks.  There is occasionally a sloppiness and a strident tone in his playing.  I suspect some of that is production and youth.

With respect to Alex, I think of his solo on Working Man, and I think that even though it definitely takes liberally from the blues scales, there are some things that are quite astonishing and unique for such a young player on a first album of boogie-rock.  There's a two string climbing thing he does where he seems to stretch his fingers beyond what should be possible.  Then you think of the By-Tor solos, the Necromancer solos, Kings and Cygnus - I don't think Emmett ever comes close to such jaw dropping glory - not to mention the brilliance of La Villa, the emotional power of the Jacob's Ladder lead and of course Limelight.

I'm a great admirer of Emmett, and I'm happy to go along with this "same league" thing . . . but Lifeson just as a direct line to something special, a sort of mojo or tap into the collective unconscious, or something.

#58 Xanadoood

Xanadoood

The God Of Balance

• Members *
  • 5475 posts
  • Interests:Music
    Biking
    Mountain Climbing
    Running
    Movies
    Reading

Posted 19 October 2017 - 07:16 PM

View Posttoymaker, on 19 October 2017 - 07:08 PM, said:

I think Emmett is a great guitarist, and he's written some great riffs and solos.  I have no doubt he knows the fretboard like nobody's business and knows every chord.  I saw him at a guitar workshop, and he played a jazzy thing where every beat was a different chord.  It was cool, but frankly forgettable.  He's a great shredder, and his solos (such as in Rock and Roll Machine) can have different facets.

But still . . . I don't think I've really ever heard him do something unique.  A lot of his licks seem grabbed from the big cosmic bag o' rock guitar licks.  There is occasionally a sloppiness and a strident tone in his playing.  I suspect some of that is production and youth.

With respect to Alex, I think of his solo on Working Man, and I think that even though it definitely takes liberally from the blues scales, there are some things that are quite astonishing and unique for such a young player on a first album of boogie-rock.  There's a two string climbing thing he does where he seems to stretch his fingers beyond what should be possible.  Then you think of the By-Tor solos, the Necromancer solos, Kings and Cygnus - I don't think Emmett ever comes close to such jaw dropping glory - not to mention the brilliance of La Villa, the emotional power of the Jacob's Ladder lead and of course Limelight.

I'm a great admirer of Emmett, and I'm happy to go along with this "same league" thing . . . but Lifeson just as a direct line to something special, a sort of mojo or tap into the collective unconscious, or something.

Yup. Emmet is like a Steve Morse. Jack of all trades. Amazingly versatile player. But Lifeson has some real unique aspects to his classic Rush sound.

#59 HemiBeers

HemiBeers

The Professor

• Members
  • 3775 posts
  • Interests:playfully annoying on the verge of inappropriate.

Posted 19 October 2017 - 07:31 PM

View PostJohnnyBlaze, on 18 October 2017 - 08:44 PM, said:

Both of them suck

Posted Image
he needs to visit the local health department to take care of that. :ph34r:

#60 RushFanForever

RushFanForever

Superconductor

• Members
  • 1089 posts

Posted 20 October 2017 - 01:42 PM

Randy Bachman has the advantage over both Rik Emmett and Alex Lifeson with having jazz guitar legend Lenny Breau teach him bebop chord comping and lines on guitar in his teenage years.

I don't believe Rik and Alex could master playing 'Undun' by The Guess Who or 'Blue Collar' and 'Lookin' Out For # 1' by Bachman-Turner Overdrive.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users