A Farewell To Kings 40th Anniversary Box Set

• Please log in to reply
95 replies to this topic

#61 blueschica

blueschica

What the Puck?

• Members
  • 5841 posts
  • Interests:Camping, gardening, muscle cars, NASCAR, Rush!

Posted 20 October 2017 - 01:31 PM

View PostWil1972, on 20 October 2017 - 11:55 AM, said:

View Postblueschica, on 20 October 2017 - 11:26 AM, said:

View PostStormtron, on 20 October 2017 - 05:01 AM, said:

View PostLucas, on 19 October 2017 - 11:33 PM, said:

WTF ??

Posted Image

Wine by Geddy, books and a drum by Neil, but what is that by Alex's throne? I can't make it out.
Painting easel seen from the side with a wide paintbrush balanced on top?  Painting is one of his hobbies. It's hard to see but that's all I got, I'm not positive though.

Golf bag? With the clubs sticking out?
I think you've got it!

Sponsored Post

#62 grasbo

grasbo

Prime Mover

• Members
  • 784 posts
  • Interests:Music,playing guitar,collecting models,recording,football,cricket,op shopping,chilli,garlic,anchovies,wasabi,mustard,oysters,mussells,beer,war gaming,model railroading,positive people,goldfish

Posted 20 October 2017 - 02:19 PM

My wife saw the email Rush newsletter for the Kings 40th box set and said would you like that for Xmas?Picks ones self up,dusts himself off.Apparently she likes the artwork.For a start we can't afford it and money would be better off spent elsewhere.We settled for the three CD edition.(so she can look at the cover.)

#63 nicky6

nicky6

Prime Mover

• Members
  • 682 posts

Posted 20 October 2017 - 07:14 PM

grasbo,, that's all I got too. the 3 cd set. all we need..

#64 Lurkst

Lurkst

The Seeker

• Members
  • 294 posts

Posted 21 October 2017 - 04:11 AM

View Posttoymaker, on 19 October 2017 - 07:10 PM, said:

View Postrocket ignites, on 19 October 2017 - 06:59 PM, said:

I'm holding out for the Presto deluxe box set.  October 2019?

Comes with a free bunny.

If it's one of these I'm in...

Posted Image

#65 JohnnyBlaze

JohnnyBlaze

The Ghost Rider

• Members *
  • 30145 posts

Posted 21 October 2017 - 04:43 AM

View PostLurkst, on 21 October 2017 - 04:11 AM, said:

View Posttoymaker, on 19 October 2017 - 07:10 PM, said:

View Postrocket ignites, on 19 October 2017 - 06:59 PM, said:

I'm holding out for the Presto deluxe box set.  October 2019?

Comes with a free bunny.

If it's one of these I'm in...

Posted Image

There's a snake coming out of the darkness

Posted Image

#66 capoetc

capoetc

The Seeker

• Members
  • 158 posts

Posted 21 October 2017 - 08:15 AM

I think I'll check it out on Spotify when it gets released ... if I really like it, maybe I'll buy the hard copy.  

I wouldn't mind hearing the Steven Wilson remix, but I think the existing mix of AFTK is pretty good so not sure how much improvement one can expect.

#67 nicky6

nicky6

Prime Mover

• Members
  • 682 posts

Posted 21 October 2017 - 08:56 AM

thing is. I heard AFTK so many times different ways shapes and forms. that it still sounds the same no matter what..

#68 ytserush

ytserush

The Professor

• Members *
  • 3899 posts

Posted 21 October 2017 - 11:55 AM

View PostPolarizeMe, on 17 October 2017 - 11:33 AM, said:

The releases for this year's edition of Record Store Day Black Friday were revealed today and one of them is a 7" of Closer To The Heart w/Madrigal as the B-side...but I checked the press release for it on the RSD website and I noticed this:

Canadian rock legends Rush have been making music for more than five decades. The songs on this RSD 7" are "Closer to the Heart" and "Madrigal," both released in 1977 on A Farewell to Kings. This single is being re-released for RSD Black Friday to celebrate the 40th anniversary of the LP. This 7" has a large center hole, and new art by longtime Rush album designer Hugh Syme. It also comes with a custom 7" adapter and is to be timed with the 40th anniversary of A Farewell to Kings box set re-issue.

AFTK is my favorite Rush album so I'm quite surprised and (rightfully so) happy that if the PR's to believe, it'll be getting a deluxe edition treatment. Though it raises the question...will it be worth it? Curious to know all your thoughts on this as well.

I guess I'm not sleeping in on Black Friday like I'd planned.

#69 ytserush

ytserush

The Professor

• Members *
  • 3899 posts

Posted 21 October 2017 - 12:51 PM

View Postcygnify, on 19 October 2017 - 12:56 PM, said:

I guess this release is the natural result of Rush selling their catalog to Ole?

http://www.billboard...es-rush-catalog

My wife is amazed that as much of a Rush fanatic that I have been for ~35 years, and as much of a Steven Wilson fan (both of his work and his 5.1 remixes) that I'm not shelling out for the box.  But I feel strongly about it - for my interest in this package, the value does not justify the cost.  I suppose for some it might, but it got me thinking, being the one-time completest that I was (the R40 video re-package and 2112 Deluxe cured me of that!) If I'm not buying it, I wonder how many still are.  I'd be really curious how many Super Deluxe packages they sell;  I mean, more power to them, and good news to those that find sufficient value for the cost.  But it crossed a line for me, and based on comments I've read here and elsewhere, it's crossed it for many others too.

Hopefully, they release the Bluray stand-alone someday  (though I won't hold my breath, they still haven't released the Toronto TFE show from the R40 DVD box standalone....  yet.)

Have mixed reactions about this too. I think there's an Ole factor here too (releases have been mostly dodgy since the transaction.)

There does seem to be a formula at work here too. Hugh Syme has apparently been given the job of revising, updating, ruining (insert adjective here) these reissues. I've always mostly liked his analog work but I've always found his digital work to be hit or miss (mostly miss) so there's a part of me that's not so enthused about the new art and also the old art is so iconic for me that to change it without having any grounding thread of connection to it kind of bothers me.

I do like that the 2015 remasters are being upgraded to CD. So far that (They sound better for like the first time since the original CDs) and the live bonus material will be the reasons I'll just settle for the CD package.

I think the reissued 7 inches are cool too (Although I have the originals) but I'm not cool with buying stuff I don't want  for the privilege of getting what I do want. Too bad there isn't a more extensive a la carte list.

As far as the Deluxe releases go, I only just got 2112 3CD set in the summer because could wait a while on the unreleased live tracks which I love and the commentary with Alex and Terry Brown. (It's my guess that Alex is the go to guy on these.)

I was surprised that it's probably the best sounding 2112 CD that I have and I may have gotten it sooner if I knew that so while I may wait a while to get the 3CD set of A Farewell To Kings I probably won't wait nine months or whatever because I know the music will sound great.

Not at all interested in commemorative hoodies, T-shirts, skateboards, one ring to rule them all rings or anything of little-to-no historical value. The lithographs, while very cool, don't add enough value along side that other stuff.

Your mileage may vary.

#70 canadianice

canadianice

Solar Federalist

• Members
  • 2959 posts

Posted 21 October 2017 - 12:54 PM

I just ordered the Super Deluxe package, Call it a X-mas present to myself.

#71 chemistry

chemistry

The Seeker

• Members
  • 206 posts

Posted 25 October 2017 - 02:16 PM

I just ordered the cd + tshirt for myself! Merry Xmas for sure

#72 Mr. JD

Mr. JD

Rushaholic

• Members *
  • 1806 posts
  • Interests:Professional Photographer

Posted 02 November 2017 - 04:49 PM

I ordered the “Super Deluxe” version at the big “A to Z” online store. Twenty dollars cheaper than the RBSC, free shipping, and it’ll be delivered on release day.

Edited by Mr. JD, 02 November 2017 - 04:50 PM.

#73 chemistry

chemistry

The Seeker

• Members
  • 206 posts

Posted 02 November 2017 - 09:19 PM

I mainly want the 3cd set for the rest of the Different Stages bonus disc from London

#74 LeaveMyThingAlone

LeaveMyThingAlone

The Professor

• Members *
  • 3091 posts

Posted 02 November 2017 - 10:38 PM

This is one of the goofiest covers to an album I’ve ever seen. It looks like Pixar did the cover art. That jester looks like he just popped out of the Shrek movie

#75 nicky6

nicky6

Prime Mover

• Members
  • 682 posts

Posted 04 November 2017 - 12:32 PM

to be honest the original cd of AFTK sounds really great, the silverface one from 1990, the first one that was presented to us on cd. the 97 remasters were too harsh and distorted.. the 90 one has a more warm analog sound to it.. and doesn't sound harsh when you turn it up.

Edited by nicky6, 04 November 2017 - 12:33 PM.

#76 ytserush

ytserush

The Professor

• Members *
  • 3899 posts

Posted 05 November 2017 - 01:58 PM

View Postnicky6, on 04 November 2017 - 12:32 PM, said:

to be honest the original cd of AFTK sounds really great, the silverface one from 1990, the first one that was presented to us on cd. the 97 remasters were too harsh and distorted.. the 90 one has a more warm analog sound to it.. and doesn't sound harsh when you turn it up.

Rush's back catalog was released in 1987 in the US. The first ones were the atomic faces which were made in West Germany.

#77 Lucas

Lucas

Leave That Wrench Alone

• Members
  • 10810 posts

Posted 10 November 2017 - 01:12 AM

Just released on youtube ... Lakeside Park, Hammersmith, Feb 20th 1978

It's very cool to hear the bits of the Taurus pedals in this

#78 blueschica

blueschica

What the Puck?

• Members
  • 5841 posts
  • Interests:Camping, gardening, muscle cars, NASCAR, Rush!

Posted 10 November 2017 - 01:28 AM

View PostLucas, on 10 November 2017 - 01:12 AM, said:

Thank you, Lucas! :heart: :heart: this.

#79 Lucas

Lucas

Leave That Wrench Alone

• Members
  • 10810 posts

Posted 10 November 2017 - 01:36 AM

View Postblueschica, on 10 November 2017 - 01:28 AM, said:

View PostLucas, on 10 November 2017 - 01:12 AM, said:

Thank you, Lucas! :heart: :heart: this.

I agree BC ... the sound is great, and I love hearing Lakeside Park from this era - it must have been taken out of the set soon after this

#80 Cygnus 2112

Cygnus 2112

The Professor

• Members *
  • 4651 posts

Posted 10 November 2017 - 03:07 PM

Is this the same show that was on the Different Stages CD?  If so then why are we getting it again?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users