A Farewell To Kings 40th Anniversary Box Set

PolarizeMe

These F*cking Whores, not to bundle the Blu Ray into the lower priced packages is complete Bull Shit. I'm too Pissed to keep typing!

:unsure:

Not sure if serious.

If so...there are a whole lot more important things to be angry about.

Disappointed in the lack of new material, the 4 tracks left off of Different Stages are the only exciting thing here IMO.

WAIT a second, there is something else! An unreleased studio track! "Cygnus X-2, Eh" unfortunately it's apparently just some sound effect outtakes from Cygnus X-1 but this could mean that there's more stuff in the vaults!

Edited by Eel Yddeg
  • Like 1

I believe theres tons of stuff in the vaults they could release. so I think they will do so every year. give us a little here a little there, but make us spend tons of cash for stuff we already have, with just a few extras tacked on. you kow they could have put out a full TFE 97 Toronto show by now..
  • Like 1

Steven Wilson commented on his remix Facebook page; he explains the "Cygnus X2 eh" "New song" (it's not really a song but extended sound effects from the intro.) Still not worth $150 as far as I' concerned.

Earlier this year, I was asked by RUSH to remix their classic 1977 album "A Farewell to Kings" into 5.1 surround sound for its 40th anniversary, and it now appears on Blu-ray as part of a deluxe box set that also includes 3CDs and 4 vinyl LPs to be released on 1st December. The remix was done with feedback and final approval from Alex Lifeson. I also made stereo and 5.1 mixes of a 4 minute instrumental sequence found on the original tapes. This is basically a longer alternate version of the electronic music used at the start of Cygnus X-1, so not a new Rush song as such, more a piece of sound design, but hopefully interesting to hear if you're a fan of the album. Pre-ordering and full details of the contents of the set (which also includes a complete 1978 concert recording) can be found here - https://lnk.to/AFTK40th

WTF ??

AFTK2.jpg

Wine by Geddy, books and a drum by Neil, but what is that by Alex's throne? I can't make it out.

Painting easel seen from the side with a wide paintbrush balanced on top? Painting is one of his hobbies. It's hard to see but that's all I got, I'm not positive though.

Edited by blueschica

WTF ??

AFTK2.jpg

Wine by Geddy, books and a drum by Neil, but what is that by Alex's throne? I can't make it out.

Painting easel seen from the side with a wide paintbrush balanced on top? Painting is one of his hobbies. It's hard to see but that's all I got, I'm not positive though.

Golf bag? With the clubs sticking out?

Edited by Wil1972
  • Like 3

WTF ??

AFTK2.jpg

Golf bag? With the clubs sticking out?

I think you've got it!

• Like 1

My wife saw the email Rush newsletter for the Kings 40th box set and said would you like that for Xmas?Picks ones self up,dusts himself off.Apparently she likes the artwork.For a start we can't afford it and money would be better off spent elsewhere.We settled for the three CD edition.(so she can look at the cover.)
  • Like 2

I'm holding out for the Presto deluxe box set. October 2019?

Comes with a free bunny.

If it's one of these I'm in...

http://ichef.bbci.co.uk/news/375/cpsprodpb/6987/production/_98051072_bunnies.jpg

There's a snake coming out of the darkness

http://www.zuppies.com/img/upload/how-to-3.jpg

I think I'll check it out on Spotify when it gets released ... if I really like it, maybe I'll buy the hard copy.

I wouldn't mind hearing the Steven Wilson remix, but I think the existing mix of AFTK is pretty good so not sure how much improvement one can expect.

The releases for this year's edition of Record Store Day Black Friday were revealed today and one of them is a 7" of Closer To The Heart w/Madrigal as the B-side...but I checked the press release for it on the RSD website and I noticed this:

Canadian rock legends Rush have been making music for more than five decades. The songs on this RSD 7" are "Closer to the Heart" and "Madrigal," both released in 1977 on A Farewell to Kings. This single is being re-released for RSD Black Friday to celebrate the 40th anniversary of the LP. This 7" has a large center hole, and new art by longtime Rush album designer Hugh Syme. It also comes with a custom 7" adapter and is to be timed with the 40th anniversary of A Farewell to Kings box set re-issue.

AFTK is my favorite Rush album so I'm quite surprised and (rightfully so) happy that if the PR's to believe, it'll be getting a deluxe edition treatment. Though it raises the question...will it be worth it? Curious to know all your thoughts on this as well.

I guess I'm not sleeping in on Black Friday like I'd planned.

I guess this release is the natural result of Rush selling their catalog to Ole?

http://www.billboard...es-rush-catalog

My wife is amazed that as much of a Rush fanatic that I have been for ~35 years, and as much of a Steven Wilson fan (both of his work and his 5.1 remixes) that I'm not shelling out for the box. But I feel strongly about it - for my interest in this package, the value does not justify the cost. I suppose for some it might, but it got me thinking, being the one-time completest that I was (the R40 video re-package and 2112 Deluxe cured me of that!) If I'm not buying it, I wonder how many still are. I'd be really curious how many Super Deluxe packages they sell; I mean, more power to them, and good news to those that find sufficient value for the cost. But it crossed a line for me, and based on comments I've read here and elsewhere, it's crossed it for many others too.

Hopefully, they release the Bluray stand-alone someday (though I won't hold my breath, they still haven't released the Toronto TFE show from the R40 DVD box standalone.... yet.)

Have mixed reactions about this too. I think there's an Ole factor here too (releases have been mostly dodgy since the transaction.)

There does seem to be a formula at work here too. Hugh Syme has apparently been given the job of revising, updating, ruining (insert adjective here) these reissues. I've always mostly liked his analog work but I've always found his digital work to be hit or miss (mostly miss) so there's a part of me that's not so enthused about the new art and also the old art is so iconic for me that to change it without having any grounding thread of connection to it kind of bothers me.

I do like that the 2015 remasters are being upgraded to CD. So far that (They sound better for like the first time since the original CDs) and the live bonus material will be the reasons I'll just settle for the CD package.

I think the reissued 7 inches are cool too (Although I have the originals) but I'm not cool with buying stuff I don't want for the privilege of getting what I do want. Too bad there isn't a more extensive a la carte list.

As far as the Deluxe releases go, I only just got 2112 3CD set in the summer because could wait a while on the unreleased live tracks which I love and the commentary with Alex and Terry Brown. (It's my guess that Alex is the go to guy on these.)

I was surprised that it's probably the best sounding 2112 CD that I have and I may have gotten it sooner if I knew that so while I may wait a while to get the 3CD set of A Farewell To Kings I probably won't wait nine months or whatever because I know the music will sound great.

Not at all interested in commemorative hoodies, T-shirts, skateboards, one ring to rule them all rings or anything of little-to-no historical value. The lithographs, while very cool, don't add enough value along side that other stuff.

Your mileage may vary.

• Like 1

I ordered the “Super Deluxe” version at the big “A to Z” online store. Twenty dollars cheaper than the RBSC, free shipping, and it’ll be delivered on release day. Edited by Mr. JD
  • Like 1

to be honest the original cd of AFTK sounds really great, the silverface one from 1990, the first one that was presented to us on cd. the 97 remasters were too harsh and distorted.. the 90 one has a more warm analog sound to it.. and doesn't sound harsh when you turn it up. Edited by nicky6