A Farewell To Kings 40th Anniversary Box Set

PolarizeMe

First post in a long, long while. I was so excited about this release, but I'm disappointed as hell that its gonna be the same concert as Disc 3 of Different Stages.

I guess it might be cool to hear Closer To The Heart, 2112 and the drum solo , but Ged's voice was pretty f***ed that night.

Heres hoping the 40th Aniversary of Hemispheres has more rarities next year.

Edited by maxdistortion
  • Like 1

I guess this release is the natural result of Rush selling their catalog to Ole?

http://www.billboard...es-rush-catalog

My wife is amazed that as much of a Rush fanatic that I have been for ~35 years, and as much of a Steven Wilson fan (both of his work and his 5.1 remixes) that I'm not shelling out for the box. But I feel strongly about it - for my interest in this package, the value does not justify the cost. I suppose for some it might, but it got me thinking, being the one-time completest that I was (the R40 video re-package and 2112 Deluxe cured me of that!) If I'm not buying it, I wonder how many still are. I'd be really curious how many Super Deluxe packages they sell; I mean, more power to them, and good news to those that find sufficient value for the cost. But it crossed a line for me, and based on comments I've read here and elsewhere, it's crossed it for many others too.

Hopefully, they release the Bluray stand-alone someday (though I won't hold my breath, they still haven't released the Toronto TFE show from the R40 DVD box standalone.... yet.)

Edited by cygnify
  • Like 1

Is this 5.1 mix different than the existing 5.1 mix of this album?

Yes. Richard Chycki (Dream Theater's current sound engineer and Rush's former sound engineer on S&A and CA) did the first 5.1 mix. This version's done by Steven Wilson.

I guess this release is the natural result of Rush selling their catalog to Ole?

http://www.billboard...es-rush-catalog

My wife is amazed that as much of a Rush fanatic that I have been for ~35 years, and as much of a Steven Wilson fan (both of his work and his 5.1 remixes) that I'm not shelling out for the box. But I feel strongly about it - for my interest in this package, the value does not justify the cost. I suppose for some it might, but it got me thinking, being the one-time completest that I was (the R40 video re-package and 2112 Deluxe cured me of that!) If I'm not buying it, I wonder how many still are. I'd be really curious how many Super Deluxe packages they sell; I mean, more power to them, and good news to those that find sufficient value for the cost. But it crossed a line for me, and based on comments I've read here and elsewhere, it's crossed it for many others too.

Hopefully, they release the Bluray stand-alone someday (though I won't hold my breath, they still haven't released the Toronto TFE show from the R40 DVD box standalone.... yet.)

I stopped buying deluxe box whatevers after the R40 concert DVD set came out. I would love the bonus stuff but I can't justify rebuying all those other concert discs just to get them. Same with 2112 deluxe and now this one. I used to try and get everything they released but the price tags are steep on these latest releases. So I have had to learn to live without.

• Like 2

Is this 5.1 mix different than the existing 5.1 mix of this album?

Yes. Richard Chycki (Dream Theater's current sound engineer and Rush's former sound engineer on S&A and CA) did the first 5.1 mix. This version's done by Steven Wilson.

It means, it's going to be a lot better, but c'mon no standalone Blu-Ray. Maybe I am a big Rush and Steven Wilson fan, but I also love to keep my money for useful things :rage:

• Like 1

Not offering the BluRay as a stand-alone release is stupid. It will be available for illegal download within days of its release and it looks like lots of people who would have otherwise bought it will go down the route of piracy.

• Like 3

Like a lot of people I get a little tired of remixes/remasters/alternate versions of songs/albums unless there are genuine improvements like VT remix.I have decent audio setup and I am critical of what I hear but I couldn't be bothered if there is a hidden triangle part in Xanadu or something like that.What gets me is the cost of these reissues.I bought three of the Led Zep deluxe box sets and they sit on the shelf having been once looked at and played and now blending in with all the other collectables gathering dust.I think sometimes my money could have been better off spent at the pub.There is one upside to this reissue nonsense is that people are off loading their perfectly fine previous issues of their favourite artists to charity shops in which I scored nearly complete collections of King Crimson,Steely Dan,ELP,Till,etc all for about $40 .Perfect to whack on for weddings,parties,anything.I do hope that that the live disc gets a separate release in the future.
  • Like 4

Hey, I just heard the live version of closer to the heart!! awesome. geddy nails it. considering he had a cold too. One of the better versions... I will try and find it and post it.. iam so getting this. But only the 3 cd version, always dreamed of hearing the 4 tracks left off the 78 show. I really think they could have left lakeside park and closer to the heart on there,, but now we got em...

Christmas present to self.

Same here. Our daughter is getting married this spring. I think I'm asking Santa for the 3 CD/t shirt set, but other than that, the pencils are what is in my budget!

• Like 2

Not offering the BluRay as a stand-alone release is stupid. It will be available for illegal download within days of its release and it looks like lots of people who would have otherwise bought it will go down the route of piracy.

If it doesn't get a stand-alone release, that's exactly what I might do.
  • Like 1

I wonder if the tracks left off the 2.20.78 show will be included.

It will be a full show I believe.

Like a lot of people I get a little tired of remixes/remasters/alternate versions of songs/albums unless there are genuine improvements like VT remix.I have decent audio setup and I am critical of what I hear but I couldn't be bothered if there is a hidden triangle part in Xanadu or something like that.What gets me is the cost of these reissues.I bought three of the Led Zep deluxe box sets and they sit on the shelf having been once looked at and played and now blending in with all the other collectables gathering dust.I think sometimes my money could have been better off spent at the pub.There is one upside to this reissue nonsense is that people are off loading their perfectly fine previous issues of their favourite artists to charity shops in which I scored nearly complete collections of King Crimson,Steely Dan,ELP,Till,etc all for about $40 .Perfect to whack on for weddings,parties,anything.I do hope that that the live disc gets a separate release in the future.

Wait . . . there's an extra triangle part in Xanadu? At what point in the song?? I MUST hear that! And I'm more than willing to spend a 150 clams for that alone.

Edited by toymaker
  • Like 2

I'm holding out for the Presto deluxe box set. October 2019?

Comes with a free bunny.

Inflatable (not to be used as a flotation device!). Pink. And Neil Peart approved "War Paint" brand mascara. A magic wand. And a Chain Lightning keychain.

Edited by Wil1972
  • Like 2

Comes with a free bunny.

Inflatable (not to be used as a flotation device!). Pink. And Neil Peart approved "War Paint" brand mascara. A magic wand. And a Chain Lightning keychain.

I'm so there. Take my money!

• Like 1

I'll take the superconducting inflatable bunny.

• Like 1