A Farewell To Kings 40th Anniversary Box Set

PolarizeMe

The releases for this year's edition of Record Store Day Black Friday were revealed today and one of them is a 7" of Closer To The Heart w/Madrigal as the B-side...but I checked the press release for it on the RSD website and I noticed this:

Canadian rock legends Rush have been making music for more than five decades. The songs on this RSD 7" are "Closer to the Heart" and "Madrigal," both released in 1977 on A Farewell to Kings. This single is being re-released for RSD Black Friday to celebrate the 40th anniversary of the LP. This 7" has a large center hole, and new art by longtime Rush album designer Hugh Syme. It also comes with a custom 7" adapter and is to be timed with the 40th anniversary of A Farewell to Kings box set re-issue.

AFTK is my favorite Rush album so I'm quite surprised and (rightfully so) happy that if the PR's to believe, it'll be getting a deluxe edition treatment. Though it raises the question...will it be worth it? Curious to know all your thoughts on this as well.

• Like 9

Actually, I've done more research and apparently this was in the cards for awhile now. This website claims Terry Brown remastered this forthcoming version of the album and that its release was planned for Sept. 1 which obviously didn't happen.

The cynical part of me thinks that whatever bonus content is just a cash grab repackage of previously released stuff (i.e. the AFTK songs from Disc 3 of Different Stages), but I'd rather hope there's at least a good recording one previously unheard live tracks from the album from a different show during the '77-'81 era, kind of like how the 2012 reissue of 2112 had a good live recording of Overture/The Temples Of Syrinx from the MP Tour.

And there's already a thread about this from earlier this year that I had no idea existed.

I already have the album.

Gratuitous cash grab.

No thanks.

Yep, prob no as well but still interested to see what it has though. It's in my Top 5 Rush albums so I have to at least have a look... :)

Edited by Steevo

I happy with my Sector 2 copy.Unless there are some genuine rarities I am not interested.As mentioned if they include disc 3 of Different Stages I would be really pissed off. By coincidence I was listening to disc 3 coming home from band practice last night.An hours drive,beautiful warm evening with sun setting,I had it full blast with the windows down.I played Cinderella Man three times.

I happy with my Sector 2 copy.Unless there are some genuine rarities I am not interested.As mentioned if they include disc 3 of Different Stages I would be really pissed off. By coincidence I was listening to disc 3 coming home from band practice last night.An hours drive,beautiful warm evening with sun setting,I had it full blast with the windows down.I played Cinderella Man three times.

Make it funk-eeeee!

I believe that AFTK is a perfect sounding album. I can't see how a remastered version could sound any better.

But if there are any alternate takes/versions or unreleased live material, I might get it.

• Like 2

I believe that AFTK is a perfect sounding album. I can't see how a remastered version could sound any better.

But if there are any alternate takes/versions or unreleased live material, I might get it.

For what it's worth, I have a copy of the most recent vinyl repress of the album from 2 years back and it's the best I've ever heard it sound. Can't see how much you can sonically improve the album with remixing/remastering the album yet again even if Terry Brown's handling it (if that's even true). Alternate takes, previously unreleased live recordings, and maybe even a rare live video from the era would make me moderately interested in picking it up.

Now, if Hemispheres were to get the deluxe edition treatment with Steven Wilson remixing it in 5.1 (he once cited it as his favorite album along w/Moving Pictures and Signals) then that's something worth my attention.

The alternate cover looks pretty cool. Nice to see the full 78 show released as well. I'll probably get this as I haven't spent any money on Rush on the last couple of years (other than a Fly By Night shirt).
  • Like 1

Dammit, if the Steven Wilson 5.1 mix had its own standalone release, I would get it in a heartbeat. But alas, it looks like it's on the boxset only.

Yeah, that's a major bummer. As much of a SW fanboy I am, and I love his 5.1 mixes, I just can't justify $149 for that. The complete 78 show is cool, but not $149 cool. I'm not interested in the vinyl other than as a collectible. Still can't tip the scale for the $.

• Like 1

Dammit, if the Steven Wilson 5.1 mix had its own standalone release, I would get it in a heartbeat. But alas, it looks like it's on the boxset only.

Yeah, that's too bad. That's the part of this that I really want. But I can't go for all of that right now. I'll still get the 3-disc version, but anything with SW/Rush involvement is more exciting to me.

Yeah, that's a major bummer. As much of a SW fanboy I am, and I love his 5.1 mixes, I just can't justify $149 for that. The complete 78 show is cool, but not $149 cool. I'm not interested in the vinyl other than as a collectible. Still can't tip the scale for the $.

And looking at their Facebook comments, there's a decent amount of fans who feel the same way. A decent compromise would be to include it w/the 3CD edition if not a standalone release.
  • Like 3