#41 oghond2112

oghond2112

The Seeker

• Members
  • 102 posts
  • Interests:RUSH, Pokemon, musicals, creating musicals

Posted 28 October 2017 - 09:53 PM

View Postvitalsigns318, on 28 October 2017 - 10:45 AM, said:

This is an awesome idea, my husband and I are thinking along the same lines for creating a screenplay for our concept album. If you work consistently I am sure that the screenplay develop naturally and details will unveil themselves. It helps to separate your scenes and write dialog for your characters in a storyboard fashion. I am sure that you will complete your project and in today's technologically advanced world, it will come to fruition far sooner than you expect. Just make sure to copyright your script when it is complete. Good luck and happy creating!!

Thank you! I'm on Act Two- I started the script a year ago and took a break from it, but then this September I picked back up with it. The scenes are seperate.

Sponsored Post

#42 Babycat

Babycat

Party Animal

• Members *
  • 79247 posts

Posted 29 October 2017 - 03:27 AM

Welcome to TRF, oghond2112!  :hi:

#43 oghond2112

oghond2112

The Seeker

• Members
  • 102 posts

Posted 29 October 2017 - 06:55 PM

View PostBabycat, on 29 October 2017 - 03:27 AM, said:

Welcome to TRF, oghond2112!  :hi:

Thank you!

#44 oghond2112

oghond2112

The Seeker

• Members
  • 102 posts

Posted 13 November 2017 - 10:20 PM

I've been making edits to the script for the show, since it's EXTREMELY long, and I've been thinking about putting in "The Body Electric" as a number for Barchy as he is driving away from the (unseen) monarchy after "Tom Sawyer" happens. However, I don't want the addition of this number to cause the script to be TOO long, since the scene it takes place in is basically the song and nothing else.

What do you think I should do?

#45 blueschica

blueschica

What the Puck?

• Members
  • 5840 posts
  • Interests:Camping, gardening, muscle cars, NASCAR, Rush!

Posted 13 November 2017 - 11:15 PM

View Postoghond2112, on 13 November 2017 - 10:20 PM, said:

I've been making edits to the script for the show, since it's EXTREMELY long, and I've been thinking about putting in "The Body Electric" as a number for Barchy as he is driving away from the (unseen) monarchy after "Tom Sawyer" happens. However, I don't want the addition of this number to cause the script to be TOO long, since the scene it takes place in is basically the song and nothing else.

What do you think I should do?
I think the process of editing for length or time is beneficial because it makes your writing more focused or direct. Not sure about The Body Electric, I will have to think about that.

#46 oghond2112

oghond2112

The Seeker

• Members
  • 102 posts

Posted 14 November 2017 - 01:06 PM

The good news is: I shortened the second scene of Act 1, which had previously been over 21 minutes long, to just 12. (Hee-hee... but it's true!)
The bad news: Scenes 9 and 10, which take place in the New World of the Peacilion, are EXTREMELY long, because in those two scenes alone:
• Thomas meets Marcia
• Thomas is crowned the third man of the Peacilion
• "New World Man" occurs
• We learn about the 5 discovered alien races of the Solar Federation- the Geerps, Yammers, Syrinx (AKA the canonical race in 2112), By-Tors, and the BNKs- and their weaknesses- respectively: lightning, fire, war (guess why), ice (guess why), and- while not known at the time- interdimensional music or creativity of any kind
• "The Spirit of Radio" occurs
• Thomas, Barchy and Marcia leave and return to America

I would like to find some kind of way to shorten these scenes, but every one of these things has some sort of importance to the plot. However, that would mean that the full script for Act 1, when read, would probably be over 1 hour and 30 minutes long- I recorded the total time of the first four scenes alone, and it was about 35 minutes. Should I shorten either of these songs? I know other jukebox musicals have done the same thing...

If I shorten Act One enough to about 60 minutes long, "The Body Electric" will go into the show. But if not, then it probably won't. And considering how long Scene 7, the scene where Barchy reveals his android heritage and the scene "Fly By Night" occurs in, is, it probably won't make it.

Edited by oghond2112, 14 November 2017 - 08:01 PM.

#47 oghond2112

oghond2112

The Seeker

• Members
  • 102 posts

Posted 14 November 2017 - 09:34 PM

I finally have it figured out, and it will involve a HUGE script change: "Afterimage"- and its scene- will be completely removed. Period. Barchy will no longer "die" in a car crash. Instead, "Tom Sawyer" will happen, then Thomas will go to Barchy's farm to tell him the news of the alien invasion, during which Barchy's android hard drive will inadvertently go off. Barchy will then "die" in front of Thomas' face, all the while revealing his secret of his android heritage to him in "The Body Electric." Once Barchy's hard drive controls his Barchetta, he will explain more about his android heritage to a stunned Thomas, who will finish telling him that aliens have invaded Hilltop. Cue the Boston Tea Party operation beginning, "Fly By Night," and the rest of the show.

In other words:
- "Tom Sawyer" will now follow "Limelight"
- Scenes 4 and 7 of the original draft will be combined into one scene, Scene 5, which will contain two songs: "The Body Electric" and "Fly By Night"
- There will now be 9 scenes in Act 1 instead of 11
- Hopefully this will shorten the script

Any thoughts on this change?

#48 oghond2112

oghond2112

The Seeker

• Members
  • 102 posts

Posted 14 November 2017 - 09:43 PM

For anyone new who is seeing this thread, if you are unfamiliar with the basic plot, please look at the first post I made in this thread. Thank you!

#49 oghond2112

oghond2112

The Seeker

• Members
  • 102 posts

Posted 15 November 2017 - 08:07 PM

GREAT NEWS!!! IT WORKED!!! I just recorded Act 1 of FI2112, and it clocked in at 1hr and 21 minutes. A bit longer than most Broadway first acts (who mainly maximize at around 1hr 15 minutes), but still long enough for Broadway.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users