Unreleased alternate version of Mission

Blind_Fate

It would be so cool if Rush released this alternate version of Mission one day soon.

Anyone ever heard anything about this track - apart from what Geddy states below?

“‘Mission’ is a song Peter Collins [producer on Hold Your Fire] just loved. And at some point in Britain, when we were working in it, he really wanted to do what he called The Full Monty—put orchestra and choir on it—and there’s a particular sound of an English brass band, which I guess is something he grew up with that we had no feel for, the kind of band you saw in the park on Sunday playing the gazebo. He was kind of obsessed with finding an authentic one. And he tracked one down in the north of England, and he wanted them to play on this track. We were really working hard on that record, and there was this weekend where this band was available. We were all supposed to fly up there to record them, and we just said, ‘Look, Pete, you go. You know what you want, and we’re pooped. Why don’t you go and record them? This will be a treat for you.’ And he did. And he brought it back, and he was all excited about it, of course. And we never really shared the same enthusiasm for it. And, in the end, the version of the song that we released is kind of stripped down. I don’t think we used the brass band very much. So, there is another version of that song that exists that I hope we’ll release that has The Full Monty on it.”—Geddy in Contents Under Pressure

• Like 2

What next-bagpipes on Tai Shan?
  • Like 2

I mean, it's more likely to be seen as an improvement than make the most hated song in Rush's discography any worse, lol.

I'd like to hear that full version of Mission.

• Like 2

Actually, I heard there was a rumor floating around that they all used kazoos.

• Like 2

What I really meant is the mismatch of styles and instruments.The Oriental sound of TS with bagpipes,the majestic Mission with a brass band?.But hey bagpipes worked for AC/DC and brass for Beatles Sgt Pepper

Actually, I heard there was a rumor floating around that they all used kazoos.

I like kazoos.They annoy my dog.

There is an alternate version of Mission out there that has been released...just not sure if this is that "Full Monty" version the OP described.

From Wiki:

Hold Your Fire was remastered again in 2011 by Andy VanDette for the "Sector" box sets, which re-released all of Rush's Mercury-era albums. It is included in the Sector 3 set. For the 2011 remaster, master tapes containing different mixes of Hold Your Fire were inadvertently used, with the result that the mix is noticeably different from previous releases in several places; particularly during "Mission", where string parts that were not present on the original release can be heard, and in the introduction to "Tai Shan", where wind chimes have been added.
Edited by PolarizeMe
  • Like 2

There is an alternate version of Mission out there that has been released...just not sure if this is that "Full Monty" version the OP described.

From Wiki:

Hold Your Fire was remastered again in 2011 by Andy VanDette for the "Sector" box sets, which re-released all of Rush's Mercury-era albums. It is included in the Sector 3 set. For the 2011 remaster, master tapes containing different mixes of Hold Your Fire were inadvertently used, with the result that the mix is noticeably different from previous releases in several places; particularly during "Mission", where string parts that were not present on the original release can be heard, and in the introduction to "Tai Shan", where wind chimes have been added.

Wouldn't characterize the version on Sector 3 as "full monty" but the mix is different and there are strings. It's a nice change after listening to the original version of Hold Your Fire for so long and then six years ago quietly get a different version to experience.