Songs that use the amazing Mellotron

Bigbobby10

Some of the obvious ones:

King Crimson- In the Court of the Crimson King, Epitaph, In the Wake of Poseidon

Genesis- Watcher of the Skies

Moody Blues- Tuesday

The Beatles- Strawberry Fields Forever

Yes- And You and I

Some less obvious ones:

Tangerine Dream- Phaedra

Sandrose - Underground Session (very good instrumental recommend to everyone)

There are so much more, I am just giving out some. I want to know what some of your favorites are

• Like 4

I love the mellotron

BB10, this is interesting you post this now, as I have a question:

Up until recently, I was not familiar with classic King Crimson .. and in listening to Epitaph on youtube, in addition to really enjoying it, I noticed that there was some talk in the comments about different versions - apparently, the original version of Epitaph featured a mellotron and in later versions the mellotron was replaced with orchestration ( ?? )

• Like 3

The sound of a mellotron makes me smile.

Keith Emerson:

"After we recorded Trilogy (1972), we wanted to perform the album on stage, but Abaddon's Bolero was a hugely complex track with loads of Moog synthesizer overdubs and it was quite impossible to play it live. So we sampled complete phrases off the 16-track onto a Mellotron, which Greg could play using bass pedals. This still wasn't enough, so we also hooked up a Revox tape recorder and arranged the track around that. Unfortunately, the second time we tried it in front of an audience, the Revox ground to a halt and so did Carl, Greg and myself. We ended up having a huge argument backstage, the result of which was that we never attempted the Bolero again. I would have trashed the Mellotron, but I gave it to Greg instead. I've no idea where it is now."

--

"Carl wore an earphone, and played the drum in synch with a click on the backing tape. Greg played the prerecorded chords on the Mellotron. The trouble arose after playing "Abaddon's Bolero" about 4 times live - the tape went bad and the sound stopped going to Carl's earphone. Carl continued to play without his earphone, but at the climax, the sound from the backing tape was lost, and then it was only the three of us playing. We decided to stop using it after that. It was too risky and also Carl did not like playing to a backing tape. This happened in Germany in 1973."

Edited by custom55
  • Like 1

I love the mellotron

BB10, this is interesting you post this now, as I have a question:

Up until recently, I was not familiar with classic King Crimson .. and in listening to Epitaph on youtube, in addition to really enjoying it, I noticed that there was some talk in the comments about different versions - apparently, the original version of Epitaph featured a mellotron and in later versions the mellotron was replaced with orchestration ( ?? )

Not sure exactly, but I know if you listen to King Crimson on Youtube, you will never get the original version, because YouTube Removes them right away. It must have been a live version you listened to which may have used an orchestration? But I cant be sure

• Like 1

Canadian singer-songwriter Ian Thomas (Anthem Legacy artist) appears to have used the same mellotron that was on the RUSH song "Tears" for song demos that didn't make the final cut on his 1981 album The Runner.

I asked Ian this question in relation to the above posted here.

I completely forgot Tears uses the Mellotron. Is that the only Rush song to use one?

• Like 1

dorky video from 1965 demonstrating their 'new' instrument, the mellotron.

There's a couple brief segments showing the inner workings...all a bunch of tapes going crazy.

Actually pretty versatile for it's time. Most bands used it for strings background.

Edited by HemiBeers