Ideas for two new subforums

fraroc

1. The Restless Young Romantics: A subforum meant for the younger fans of Rush or people that only became fans recently and either never seen them live, or only saw them live a few times. This is a place where people can review Rush songs they just listened to for the first time or discuss why they love Rush and what makes Rush tic to them.

2. Against The Run Of The Mill: Seeing as how we have New World Women, a forum for female Rush fans, I think that we should have a subforum for Rush fans who are part of the LGBTQ+ community. This is a place to discuss LGBT issues in the news, share advice about dating, coming out, etc.

Anyway, what do you think?

• Like 2

If you want to discuss LGBTQRST issues, go to a forum for that.

But I think the RUSH connection is a piece of the puzzle.

Really?

Ignore him. His avatar is a dog whistle for Central Americans to cross the Rio Grandé illegally.

• Like 3

The same could be said for the recent "Should we have a religion subforum" poll

The forum can change over time to demand. This could be a forum for that if we wanted.

My personal opinion is there probably isn't enough interest here to justify a whole subforum, or subsubforum for that. Could definitely have a "LGBTQQIAOMGWTFBBQ" specific thread, and see how that takes off.

• Like 1

Really?

I can see it. Being LGBTQ can be isolating to someone who is young, or afraid to come out, or doesn't have any support available to them. They could feel very much of an outsider, which is something that comes up as well when Rush fans talk. Fans (esp. when talking about Subdivisions) sometimes mention feeling like an outsider, or identifying with Rush lyrics about that subject.

I dunno, that's all I got.

• Like 4

The same could be said for the recent "Should we have a religion subforum" poll

The forum can change over time to demand. This could be a forum for that if we wanted.

My personal opinion is there probably isn't enough interest here to justify a whole subforum, or subsubforum for that. Could definitely have a "LGBTQQIAOMGWTFBBQ" specific thread, and see how that takes off.

Keep your damn gender/sexuality issues away from my BBQ!

1. The Restless Young Romantics: A subforum meant for the younger fans of Rush or people that only became fans recently and either never seen them live, or only saw them live a few times. This is a place where people can review Rush songs they just listened to for the first time or discuss why they love Rush and what makes Rush tic to them.

2. Against The Run Of The Mill: Seeing as how we have New World Women, a forum for female Rush fans, I think that we should have a subforum for Rush fans who are part of the LGBTQ+ community. This is a place to discuss LGBT issues in the news, share advice about dating, coming out, etc.

Maybe the LGBTQ idea could be a thread in the Open Secrets subforum? Or are you thinking that it would be too hard for new members to find, maybe.

I've never gotten to see Rush live :( for a whole list of life reasons; I don't want to discuss that necessarily but you are right; maybe a thread or place for those just discovering a song for the first time might be good? What do others think? I love the insights others post in the "Gush about Rush" thread but again, it's maybe not the easiest to find.

• Like 2

Why wouldn't it be a thread first to test the waters?

If it fails then a subforum isn't needed.

If it's a massive success then maybe it is worthy of a subforum.

Really, should there be a bluegrass subforum? Probably not. But having a thread to test it out would be where to start BEFORE a subforum is created.

• Like 4

Just a simple question, why can't we do it here?

To some, this forces them to look inward and at themselves, and THAT is what makes them uncomfortable with it

I think it is a great idea

There are, for example, countless online forums on discussing films and television, but I find Video Vertigo to be the most fun - in part, because we have developed relationships here as Rush fans ..

I have people here I consider friends, regardless of Rush .. and all that has come about because of the non Rush topics

fraroc, great idea

• Like 1

Really?

I can see it. Being LGBTQ can be isolating to someone who is young, or afraid to come out, or doesn't have any support available to them. They could feel very much of an outsider, which is something that comes up as well when Rush fans talk. Fans (esp. when talking about Subdivisions) sometimes mention feeling like an outsider, or identifying with Rush lyrics about that subject.

I dunno, that's all I got.

I'm sure that you don't have to be LGBT to experience feelings of isolation and loneliness. They're inherent to being a human being. We all feel like that at one time or another.

• Like 2

Really?

:yes:

It's a common starting and reference point.

• Like 2

Really?

Ignore him. His avatar is a dog whistle for Central Americans to cross the Rio Grandé illegally.

:LOL:

What language is "Los Angeles", anyway? They should use the English, dammit. "The Angels". Or the full name, "Town of Our Lady, Queen of the Angels". Replace that stupid LA on their hats with TOLQA. :yes:

'Murica!

• Like 1

Maybe the LGBTQ idea could be a thread in the Open Secrets subforum? Or are you thinking that it would be too hard for new members to find, maybe.

Pinned.
  • Like 1

I think these are great ideas, as I am a younger fan and lgbt!!

Why am I not surprised?

Whaaaaaaaaa??

Tony is not surprised because Tony knows everything

Just ask him, and he'll tell you

In all seriousness, this is why a sub forum would be good .. Permanent Rush cannot not even make one supportive comment without someone old enough to be her grandfather responding with sarcasm and condescension ..

A sub forum would be a place for people who can relate, understand and be supportive

• Like 3