What is it that you love about your favorite Rush album?

Entre_Perpetuo

So in keeping with the subtitle of this subforum, I think it's time we had some real deep album related discussion! Now, there's plenty of room in here to debate which albums are better and worse (pointless as it is at this point), however the focus should be on discussing qualities you like about your favorite album. Conversely maybe what you don't like so much, but I feel more positive today so I'll start with what I like.

So briefly put, I love AFTK because it was the first album I listened to actively with my dad, and it was also a gift of sorts from him, and it contains both of our favorite Rush songs. In addition,the production is clear and powerful and unyielding, yet rustic and warm and fragile at the same time. The acoustics and the electrics live in perfect harmony. It also contains some of Ged and Neil's most compelling drum and bass work (AFTK, Cinderella Man, Xanadu of course, CTTH, etc.), yet Alex fills in their foundation with playing passionate, uncompromising, and economical, and genuinely fun to listen to. Also the synths sound very nostalgic but never out of touch, and Geds vocals are in top form, full if his youthful energy and power and height, but mature enough for the softer moments to sound fully sincere and touching, bringing out the poetry of Neil's lyrics, which are masterful whether fantastical or more mundane (though he often references the fantastic in his more real world songs as well). The whole album just feels magical, and it's never too long or too short. The cover art and overall aesthetic is very powerful and compelling, and every song serves a distinct purpose on the album. To me, it's not as "perfect" as MP or Hems may seem, but it's more personal (than Hems especially) and that's what I love about it. It's an album with a distinctive, strong, and likable character all it's own, which is well executed, but it spends every available moment engaging with the listener.

Have fun! :)

• Like 6

Grace Under Pressure is my favourite album(for the next five minutes,then it would be MP,CP,Hem,etc)Why?.Because it sold me on Rush.It was different.More synths,different guitar sounds and style,trendy bad haircuts,shorter more concise songs ,all the things that would alienate the Heavy Metal crowd,and I am a real metalhead.But in the early eighties I wasn't really buying into the ' new metal' of the time. And I loved prog but that was losing it's way. I like the dark ,stark,cold nature of GUP.For a start the cover is all icy blues and greys with just a streak of red .Alex's solos were brilliant and complimented the music instead of being an excuse to wack off.Even Kid Gloves,which is a show off,seems appropriate.His appeggio rhythm style was really happening.I found Geddy's bass playing was brilliant even though his timetime was spent more on the keys.His singing was lower but still distinctive.I didn't mind if Neil used electric drums,they fit the music perfectly.And the lyrics give you a sense of dread.Cold War,death,alienation,etc.All this sounds like it could be as depressing as Leonard Cohen hosting a kids party but I find it an uplifting album.The crowning glory is Alex's soaring solo on Between the Wheels ,for me his best solo ever.
  • Like 4

So in keeping with the subtitle of this subforum, I think it's time we had some real deep album related discussion! Now, there's plenty of room in here to debate which albums are better and worse (pointless as it is at this point), however the focus should be on discussing qualities you like about your favorite album. Conversely maybe what you don't like so much, but I feel more positive today so I'll start with what I like.

So briefly put, I love AFTK because it was the first album I listened to actively with my dad, and it was also a gift of sorts from him, and it contains both of our favorite Rush songs. In addition,the production is clear and powerful and unyielding, yet rustic and warm and fragile at the same time. The acoustics and the electrics live in perfect harmony. It also contains some of Ged and Neil's most compelling drum and bass work (AFTK, Cinderella Man, Xanadu of course, CTTH, etc.), yet Alex fills in their foundation with playing passionate, uncompromising, and economical, and genuinely fun to listen to. Also the synths sound very nostalgic but never out of touch, and Geds vocals are in top form, full if his youthful energy and power and height, but mature enough for the softer moments to sound fully sincere and touching, bringing out the poetry of Neil's lyrics, which are masterful whether fantastical or more mundane (though he often references the fantastic in his more real world songs as well). The whole album just feels magical, and it's never too long or too short. The cover art and overall aesthetic is very powerful and compelling, and every song serves a distinct purpose on the album. To me, it's not as "perfect" as MP or Hems may seem, but it's more personal (than Hems especially) and that's what I love about it. It's an album with a distinctive, strong, and likable character all it's own, which is well executed, but it spends every available moment engaging with the listener.

"Hemispheres" until I die! Not only is it the best RUSH album to me, it's the greatest album ever made by any band!!!

What I love about it?

It's simple.

Playing my drums to the entire record! Great workout and great meditation!

I don't need yoga. I don't need to walk in nature. I don't need to close my eyes and sit indian style and drift off.

I play my drums to RUSH MUSIC!

ETERNAL BLISS!

• Like 4

It's tough to pick a favorite and single out one album ... I have been loving Caress Of Steel more than ever as of late, and in addition to really liking the songs, the vibe is that of a band - actually, 3 guys and the fourth member, Terry Brown - a vibe of youthful energy, experimentation and obvious going out on the proverbial limb to capture what the four had vision of ..

Geddy's vocals are some of my all time favorite .. where 2112 was similar but probably more on target, Caress is so great because it reveals a naivety combined with a go for it attitude .. Plus, it is recorded very well for 1975 ... The Necromancer is as heavy as can be with those great guitar tones

• Like 7

Hemispheres. It has a great combination of heavy metal and more melodic stuff wrapped up with arguably (barely) the greatest instrumental ever written.

All though I think Between the wheels is Alex's best solo it's only hair above the solo on La Villa.
  • Like 2

Great post. You summed up perfectly what I love about Farewell To Kings (which is probably my 3rd favorite album behind Caress Of Steel and Hemispheres)

• Like 1

Hold Your Fire + Power Windows are my favorite Rush albums because I'm a synth fanboy, aside from that, the aesthetic of the band had reached a high point, and in my opinion, the whole stoner nerd kimonobros was dead. Although, Hemispheres and AFTK are at #4 and #5 respectably, Hold Your Fire + Power Windows had something that I haven't seen in a band before. Sure, New Wave + Synth Rock was at an all time high, but the musicianship of Rush had been taking the trend at time and intensifying it a thousand fold. It's like if Beethoven was alive and he orchestrated a generic radio pop tune. I love the oriental tinge that HYF has, and the cold stark and urban tone Power Windows has. Rush has been a highly aesthetic and artistic band. Every album is presented in such a way t hat they are highly unique, and the aesthetic they had on those records are absolutely amazing. If I wanted to listen to Prog, Rush would NOT be my first choice, I have Van der graaf generator, Porcupine Tree and the like for that. If I want metal, I sure as hell don't go to Rush first. PW & HYF have a sound that is distinct and executed perfectly. If Rush never made another Rock album after Presto, I would be more than happy. At this point, their musicianship and creativity peaked.

EDIT: Visually as well, Rush triumphs, and HYF especially is an incredibly visual and artistic album

Edited by Nate2112

Interesting thread...

What is it that I love about my favorite Rush album?

It's simple. It's personal. To me, my favorite Rush album (and most of their music) feels like it's a personal gift to me. The lyrics and the music feel like they were customized for me. They strike a chord deep within me and it feels like it's mine. I suspect that's how many hard core fans feel about them. While I appreciate all kinds of music and lyrics, only Rush's work holds that special place in my heart and I don't imagine that ever changing.

Hemispheres, because I love the atmosphere but especially the mesmerizing and (at times) moving instrumental passages, found in every song. The first side is great but the second side is The Greatest Side Ever (apologies to MP side 1, Abbey Road side II, and either side of LZ IV).

It's Permanant Waves for me because of the independent spirit in the music and especially in the lyrics. I dig what Neil was saying this entire album. It shows their abilities to create new and crazy music, but also put out some monster hits.

It's a 6 song album that, to me, has five wonderful songs, and another good one. PeW has been my favorite for a little while now. Maybe I can finally keep it there.

"Hemispheres" until I die! Not only is it the best RUSH album to me, it's the greatest album ever made by any band!!!

What I love about it?

It's simple.

Playing my drums to the entire record! Great workout and great meditation!

I don't need yoga. I don't need to walk in nature. I don't need to close my eyes and sit indian style and drift off.

I play my drums to RUSH MUSIC!

ETERNAL BLISS!

I need yoga.

Walking ,biking and skiing in nature are far greater than rush to me but...

Yeah. Hemispheres is to me the best rush record and overall greatest record.

51 yr old fanboi!

Hemispheres to me has the best lyrics. Particulary circumstances.

Their best epic.

Their best instrumental.

Their incredible energy focused in a laser like manner.

The cool poster that came with the record back in the day. Mega bonus score

The Bitching red vinyl versions!

I love gup so mush I DONT listen to it out of fear of burnout. It’s simple. It’s high quality for 80s sound. I can escape easily listening. To me it’s clouds and grey and white with a seriousness to it.

Power Windows is my favorite Rush album (at least today). Every song is well crafted and the musicianship is superb. Alex does some of his most innovative solos here while Geddy and Neil are in top form. When playing the album, there's not a single song that I pass over.

The emotion, the anger, the sense of caution being thrown to the wind...

Vapor Trails blows me away!

HYF. That album has a mystical peaceful unique atmosphere that i don't find on any other rush album.

and it helps that i think that album has some of Rush's best songwriting.

Mick

• Like 1

Grace Under Pressure is my favourite album(for the next five minutes,then it would be MP,CP,Hem,etc)Why?.Because it sold me on Rush.It was different.More synths,different guitar sounds and style,trendy bad haircuts,shorter more concise songs ,all the things that would alienate the Heavy Metal crowd,and I am a real metalhead.But in the early eighties I wasn't really buying into the ' new metal' of the time. And I loved prog but that was losing it's way. I like the dark ,stark,cold nature of GUP.For a start the cover is all icy blues and greys with just a streak of red .Alex's solos were brilliant and complimented the music instead of being an excuse to wack off.Even Kid Gloves,which is a show off,seems appropriate.His appeggio rhythm style was really happening.I found Geddy's bass playing was brilliant even though his timetime was spent more on the keys.His singing was lower but still distinctive.I didn't mind if Neil used electric drums,they fit the music perfectly.And the lyrics give you a sense of dread.Cold War,death,alienation,etc.All this sounds like it could be as depressing as Leonard Cohen hosting a kids party but I find it an uplifting album.The crowning glory is Alex's soaring solo on Between the Wheels ,for me his best solo ever.

GUP is my favorite too but I couldn't articulate why. I've always liked the themes in it and have related to it in different ways as I've gotten older and become a dad and now granddad. It's one of the more thoughtful albums without being preachy. If they'd put both parts of Cygnus X-1 together and call it an album, than that would be my favorite