Jump to content


Religion Forum, why isn't there one?


  • Please log in to reply
62 replies to this topic

#21 JohnRogers

JohnRogers

    Holy Tai Shan!!!

  • Members *
  • 23452 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Troll beneath the George Washington Bridge
  • Interests:American Muscle/Sports cars, Movies, New York City Subway, Cigar Lounges

Posted 12 October 2017 - 08:17 AM

View PostJohnnyBlaze, on 12 October 2017 - 08:06 AM, said:

View PostJohnRogers, on 12 October 2017 - 07:59 AM, said:

It would be a more appropriate forum for me to proselytize on the love that Zelix has for all of us.

Zelix is everywhere but nowhere, everyone but no one.
He's a lot like Darkman that way. Same smell of blood drying on gauze anyway.

Posted Image

Yeah but...I question whether Darkman has an affinity for the fusion of J-Pop and Heavy Metal that Zelix has.

Sponsored Post

#22 JohnnyBlaze

JohnnyBlaze

    The Ghost Rider

  • Members *
  • 30145 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 12 October 2017 - 08:46 AM

View PostJohnRogers, on 12 October 2017 - 08:17 AM, said:

View PostJohnnyBlaze, on 12 October 2017 - 08:06 AM, said:

View PostJohnRogers, on 12 October 2017 - 07:59 AM, said:

It would be a more appropriate forum for me to proselytize on the love that Zelix has for all of us.

Zelix is everywhere but nowhere, everyone but no one.
He's a lot like Darkman that way. Same smell of blood drying on gauze anyway.

Posted Image

Yeah but...I question whether Darkman has an affinity for the fusion of J-Pop and Heavy Metal that Zelix has.

Look at him! He's clearly both of those things! He IS Baby Metal!

#23 HemiBeers

HemiBeers

    The Professor

  • Members
  • 3775 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:kalamazoo, mi
  • Interests:playfully annoying on the verge of inappropriate.

Posted 12 October 2017 - 10:04 AM

View PostLucas, on 12 October 2017 - 12:15 AM, said:

View PostJohnRogers, on 12 October 2017 - 12:12 AM, said:

I probably wouldn’t use it. I hang around for the Unintentional Penis and interesting poll topics.

:lol:

Nothing like a little laughter to bring a person closer to understanding
I think that forum would need an unintentional penis pic at times to lighten things up.

#24 Crimsonmistymemory

Crimsonmistymemory

    Testing the Fences

  • Members *
  • 17145 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Tampa FL
  • Interests:Just an interested cat,
    Living in a,
    Dog eat Dog World

Posted 12 October 2017 - 12:09 PM

View PostAncient Ways, on 12 October 2017 - 04:46 AM, said:

There are those that worship rush here and those that have fallen from the pure faith.  We even have those that dare question the great Neil pearl.  The whole form seems religious at times.
Give me 30 pieces of silver and I'll show you where he lives :angel:






#25 thesweetscience

thesweetscience

    Member titles are overrated!

  • Members *
  • 16345 posts
  • Gender:Not Telling

Posted 12 October 2017 - 12:12 PM

View PostLucas, on 12 October 2017 - 12:08 AM, said:

I like Mr Not's idea

And I would hope that there are enough people here who are open minded, well read and intelligent enough to make it really worthwhile
:laughing guy:



Oh, you were serious?

#26 Lucas

Lucas

    Leave That Wrench Alone

  • Members
  • 10812 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:NJ

Posted 12 October 2017 - 12:18 PM

View Postthesweetscience, on 12 October 2017 - 12:12 PM, said:

View PostLucas, on 12 October 2017 - 12:08 AM, said:

I like Mr Not's idea

And I would hope that there are enough people here who are open minded, well read and intelligent enough to make it really worthwhile
:laughing guy:



Oh, you were serious?

You don't feel up to the task ??

#27 Lucas

Lucas

    Leave That Wrench Alone

  • Members
  • 10812 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:NJ

Posted 12 October 2017 - 12:41 PM

View PostRUSHHEAD666, on 12 October 2017 - 04:35 AM, said:

God does not exist.    Neil was right.

Neil:

I'm a linear thinking agnostic, but not an atheist, folks."

“It is impossible to follow the teachings of Jesus Christ and be a Republican,” he says. “It’s philosophically absolutely opposed—if they could only think about what they were saying for a minute.”

#28 JohnnyBlaze

JohnnyBlaze

    The Ghost Rider

  • Members *
  • 30145 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 12 October 2017 - 05:19 PM

View PostLucas, on 12 October 2017 - 12:41 PM, said:

View PostRUSHHEAD666, on 12 October 2017 - 04:35 AM, said:

God does not exist.    Neil was right.

Neil:

I'm a linear thinking agnostic, but not an atheist, folks."

“It is impossible to follow the teachings of Jesus Christ and be a Republican,” he says. “It’s philosophically absolutely opposed—if they could only think about what they were saying for a minute.”

Who is "he" in the "he says" part of that quote? Since Neil is written before the colon it doesn't look like he said the second sentence

#29 edhunter

edhunter

    Rushaholic

  • Members *
  • 1730 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 12 October 2017 - 06:32 PM

A religion forum would be nothing more than an atheistic circle-jerk. Most people of faith give up after a while.

#30 Mr. Not

Mr. Not

    Spaceman Spiff

  • Members *
  • 99502 posts
  • Gender:Not Telling
  • Location:I'm not here, this isn't happening...

Posted 12 October 2017 - 09:21 PM

View PostJohnnyBlaze, on 12 October 2017 - 03:25 AM, said:

View PostMr. Not, on 12 October 2017 - 02:52 AM, said:

View PostJohnnyBlaze, on 11 October 2017 - 11:48 PM, said:

View PostFordgalaxy, on 11 October 2017 - 11:09 PM, said:

View PostJohnnyBlaze, on 11 October 2017 - 11:07 PM, said:


I was under the impression that was a political forum that had threads sometimes derail into a religious post or 5.

There's more than politics in there as you know. And yup, religious derailment frequently.

So, if you like, why not more religious threads in there?

There've been plenty of religious threads on TRF in the past. And they all go to the same streets of arguments, sarcasm, and condescension no matter how civil you are. But hey, knock yourself out.

Don't you think a subforum dedicated to the subject itself would solve solve this problem?

If need be, make it accessible by request only - like SOCN. This idea is actually pretty appealing to me, granted it's an open-ended religion/philosophy subforum rather than just something focused on a single religion.

A subforum dedicated to religion would solve arguments, sarcasm, and condescension?

No, but if a religious thread was posted to a religious subforum rather than SOCN or random samples it would be met with more serious responses in general as it's in the appropriate place.

#31 vaportrailer

vaportrailer

    The Professor

  • Members
  • 3720 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Canada
  • Interests:music, reading, travel

Posted 12 October 2017 - 09:58 PM

The polls would be worth it.

"Do you believe in God?"
"Which God is the lamest?" (answer: Xenu)
"Lao-Tzu vs that Mormon Guy: Smackdown!"
"The Divine Comedy vs Hemispheres: Epic Epics!" ("Sure, Dante's verse is ok, but Peart is such a master of everything that he simply is the best!")
"Which is more metal, the Old Testament God or 'Master of Reality'?"
etc

#32 blueschica

blueschica

    What the Puck?

  • Members
  • 5858 posts
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:Central Pa
  • Interests:Camping, gardening, muscle cars, NASCAR, Rush!

Posted 12 October 2017 - 10:45 PM

View Postvaportrailer, on 12 October 2017 - 09:58 PM, said:

The polls would be worth it.

"Do you believe in God?"
"Which God is the lamest?" (answer: Xenu)
"Lao-Tzu vs that Mormon Guy: Smackdown!"
"The Divine Comedy vs Hemispheres: Epic Epics!" ("Sure, Dante's verse is ok, but Peart is such a master of everything that he simply is the best!")
"Which is more metal, the Old Testament God or 'Master of Reality'?"
etc
Are you sure it's not Xemu?  ;)

#33 Lucas

Lucas

    Leave That Wrench Alone

  • Members
  • 10812 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:NJ

Posted 12 October 2017 - 10:52 PM

View PostJohnnyBlaze, on 12 October 2017 - 05:19 PM, said:

View PostLucas, on 12 October 2017 - 12:41 PM, said:

View PostRUSHHEAD666, on 12 October 2017 - 04:35 AM, said:

God does not exist.    Neil was right.

Neil:

I'm a linear thinking agnostic, but not an atheist, folks."

“It is impossible to follow the teachings of Jesus Christ and be a Republican,” he says. “It’s philosophically absolutely opposed—if they could only think about what they were saying for a minute.”

Who is "he" in the "he says" part of that quote? Since Neil is written before the colon it doesn't look like he said the second sentence

oops, yep, both quotes are from Neil

#34 Lucas

Lucas

    Leave That Wrench Alone

  • Members
  • 10812 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:NJ

Posted 12 October 2017 - 11:00 PM

The above quote is from a very interesting interview done with Neil Aug 13th 2012

Here's the context:

Q: Clockwork Angels deals with concepts of fate, circumstance, and free will, which you’ve been writing about throughout your career. What are your thoughts on these issues now?

A: I remain the optimist: you just do your best and hope for the best. But it’s an evolving state of mind. I still totally believe in individual rights and individual responsibility and in choosing to do good. On the liberal side of things, they go to an extreme of how people need to be led, and they can’t handle freedom. Pure libertarianism believes that people will be generous and help each other. Well, they won’t. I wish it were so, and I live that way. I help panhandlers, but other people are, “Oh look at that—why doesn’t he get a job?” While I believe in all that freedom, I also believe that no one should suffer needlessly. A realization I had lately: it is impossible to follow the teachings of Jesus Christ and be a Republican. It’s philosophically absolutely opposed—if they could only think about what they were saying for a minute. That’s when you get caught up in the webs of what people call themselves and how they behave. You just become adaptable and try to lead a good life in ways that make sense, regardless. Because I know at the end of it, if I’m going to meet Jesus or Allah or Buddha, I’m going to be all right.



And the entire article:

https://rushvault.co...e-a-republican/

Edited by Lucas, 12 October 2017 - 11:01 PM.


#35 JohnnyBlaze

JohnnyBlaze

    The Ghost Rider

  • Members *
  • 30145 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 12 October 2017 - 11:08 PM

View PostMr. Not, on 12 October 2017 - 09:21 PM, said:

View PostJohnnyBlaze, on 12 October 2017 - 03:25 AM, said:

View PostMr. Not, on 12 October 2017 - 02:52 AM, said:

View PostJohnnyBlaze, on 11 October 2017 - 11:48 PM, said:

View PostFordgalaxy, on 11 October 2017 - 11:09 PM, said:

View PostJohnnyBlaze, on 11 October 2017 - 11:07 PM, said:


I was under the impression that was a political forum that had threads sometimes derail into a religious post or 5.

There's more than politics in there as you know. And yup, religious derailment frequently.

So, if you like, why not more religious threads in there?

There've been plenty of religious threads on TRF in the past. And they all go to the same streets of arguments, sarcasm, and condescension no matter how civil you are. But hey, knock yourself out.

Don't you think a subforum dedicated to the subject itself would solve solve this problem?

If need be, make it accessible by request only - like SOCN. This idea is actually pretty appealing to me, granted it's an open-ended religion/philosophy subforum rather than just something focused on a single religion.

A subforum dedicated to religion would solve arguments, sarcasm, and condescension?

No, but if a religious thread was posted to a religious subforum rather than SOCN or random samples it would be met with more serious responses in general as it's in the appropriate place.

Theoretically.

"Would be met..."?, tbd.

"Might be met...", yeah.

Am I the only TRFer who remembers past discussions of religion on here? I don't remember any of them ending well. At the very very best, the threads ended with "Well, we'll just have to agree to disagree".

But as I said, go ahead and knock yourselves out.

And really, why wouldn't it first start with a thread THEN a subforum?

Grand Designs started from a lot of nonsense threads in Random Samples. So The Whiteness of Confusion subforum was created. The title later was changed to Grand Designs.

The Food and Wine Aplenty subforum didn't suddenly pop up. It came as a result of more and more food talk in Random Samples.

Edited by JohnnyBlaze, 12 October 2017 - 11:11 PM.


#36 Mr. Not

Mr. Not

    Spaceman Spiff

  • Members *
  • 99502 posts
  • Gender:Not Telling
  • Location:I'm not here, this isn't happening...

Posted 12 October 2017 - 11:25 PM

View PostJohnnyBlaze, on 12 October 2017 - 11:08 PM, said:

View PostMr. Not, on 12 October 2017 - 09:21 PM, said:

View PostJohnnyBlaze, on 12 October 2017 - 03:25 AM, said:

View PostMr. Not, on 12 October 2017 - 02:52 AM, said:

View PostJohnnyBlaze, on 11 October 2017 - 11:48 PM, said:

View PostFordgalaxy, on 11 October 2017 - 11:09 PM, said:

View PostJohnnyBlaze, on 11 October 2017 - 11:07 PM, said:


I was under the impression that was a political forum that had threads sometimes derail into a religious post or 5.

There's more than politics in there as you know. And yup, religious derailment frequently.

So, if you like, why not more religious threads in there?

There've been plenty of religious threads on TRF in the past. And they all go to the same streets of arguments, sarcasm, and condescension no matter how civil you are. But hey, knock yourself out.

Don't you think a subforum dedicated to the subject itself would solve solve this problem?

If need be, make it accessible by request only - like SOCN. This idea is actually pretty appealing to me, granted it's an open-ended religion/philosophy subforum rather than just something focused on a single religion.

A subforum dedicated to religion would solve arguments, sarcasm, and condescension?

No, but if a religious thread was posted to a religious subforum rather than SOCN or random samples it would be met with more serious responses in general as it's in the appropriate place.

Theoretically.

"Would be met..."?, tbd.

"Might be met...", yeah.

Am I the only TRFer who remembers past discussions of religion on here? I don't remember any of them ending well. At the very very best, the threads ended with "Well, we'll just have to agree to disagree".

But as I said, go ahead and knock yourselves out.

And really, why wouldn't it first start with a thread THEN a subforum?

Grand Designs started from a lot of nonsense threads in Random Samples. So The Whiteness of Confusion subforum was created. The title later was changed to Grand Designs.

The Food and Wine Aplenty subforum didn't suddenly pop up. It came as a result of more and more food talk in Random Samples.

That's why the religion subforum won't happen, and if it was just made out of nowhere it'd be pretty inactive. It's a nice thought though.

#37 Lucas

Lucas

    Leave That Wrench Alone

  • Members
  • 10812 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:NJ

Posted 12 October 2017 - 11:43 PM

I would find a religion and spirituality sub forum enlightening and inspiring, as I think the people here who would engage in discussions there would make it positive - even if it were just a few ..

I also think that, if things were kept positive, it might attract new members and encourage some who may be lurking to join if they knew some respectful and insightful talk was happening ..

#38 vaportrailer

vaportrailer

    The Professor

  • Members
  • 3720 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Canada
  • Interests:music, reading, travel

Posted 13 October 2017 - 10:51 AM

View Postblueschica, on 12 October 2017 - 10:45 PM, said:

View Postvaportrailer, on 12 October 2017 - 09:58 PM, said:

The polls would be worth it.

"Do you believe in God?"
"Which God is the lamest?" (answer: Xenu)
"Lao-Tzu vs that Mormon Guy: Smackdown!"
"The Divine Comedy vs Hemispheres: Epic Epics!" ("Sure, Dante's verse is ok, but Peart is such a master of everything that he simply is the best!")
"Which is more metal, the Old Testament God or 'Master of Reality'?"
etc
Are you sure it's not Xemu?  ;)

Wikipedia cautioned me to not confuse it with "Xena" or "Xeno". Whew!

I'd never heard the "Xemu" variation before...Hey! Only an Operating Thetan/biped-with-more-money-than-sense would have this kind of knowledge!
Don't worry, I won't smear Science-ology. I don't need the legal harassment.
All hail Elron! The Steven Seagal of cult leaders!

Posted ImagePosted Image
"Hi! My name is Elron, and other than making crazy shit up, I like touching my face and writing with a quill!"

#39 blueschica

blueschica

    What the Puck?

  • Members
  • 5858 posts
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:Central Pa
  • Interests:Camping, gardening, muscle cars, NASCAR, Rush!

Posted 13 October 2017 - 12:00 PM

View Postvaportrailer, on 13 October 2017 - 10:51 AM, said:

View Postblueschica, on 12 October 2017 - 10:45 PM, said:

View Postvaportrailer, on 12 October 2017 - 09:58 PM, said:

The polls would be worth it.

"Do you believe in God?"
"Which God is the lamest?" (answer: Xenu)
"Lao-Tzu vs that Mormon Guy: Smackdown!"
"The Divine Comedy vs Hemispheres: Epic Epics!" ("Sure, Dante's verse is ok, but Peart is such a master of everything that he simply is the best!")
"Which is more metal, the Old Testament God or 'Master of Reality'?"
etc
Are you sure it's not Xemu?  ;)

Wikipedia cautioned me to not confuse it with "Xena" or "Xeno". Whew!

I'd never heard the "Xemu" variation before...Hey! Only an Operating Thetan/biped-with-more-money-than-sense would have this kind of knowledge!
Don't worry, I won't smear Science-ology. I don't need the legal harassment.
All hail Elron! The Steven Seagal of cult leaders!

Posted ImagePosted Image
"Hi! My name is Elron, and other than making crazy shit up, I like touching my face and writing with a quill!"

:lol:    Shoot, now my avatar cover is blown!  :lol:    No, I just had a son who read Battlefield Earth in high school and looked into Elron a little bit.  The Xenu/Xemu thing left both of us laughing out loud. They can't tell because of messy handwriting??   Too funny!

#40 EagleMoon

EagleMoon

    Beauty and the Bass

  • Members
  • 21767 posts
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:Phoenix, Arizona
  • Interests:GUI and graphic design, writing, reading, hiking with my dog and photography.

Posted 13 October 2017 - 02:47 PM

There’s nothing more boring than religious discussions. They’re even worse than polls. ;)




0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users