What was the first true synth based Rush song?

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 fraroc

fraroc

Solar Federalist

• Members
  • 2436 posts
  • Interests:Rock music, roller coasters, aviation, writing novels,

Posted 11 October 2017 - 09:21 PM

Even though the keyboards were introduced to Rush in 1977, In my honest opinion the first true synth-era Rush song was The Camera Eye. No bass guitar is played at all in the first minutes of the song, only keyboards. Many times in the song, Ged switched between keys and bass. Of course, this makes Witch Hunt the second synth based Rush song. Overall, I think those two songs, Camera Eye and Witch Hunt, was what set the stage for what Rush was going to be for the rest of the 1980s, with songs that prominently feature Geddy Lee playing both bass and keyboards in the same song.

Sponsored Post

#2 Permanent-Rush

Permanent-Rush

The Dream Police

• Members
  • 33738 posts
  • Interests:The Cure and 80's music

Posted 11 October 2017 - 09:59 PM

What about Tom Sawyer hmm??

#3 goose

goose

Honkin' in Nevada

• Members *
  • 53104 posts
  • Interests:Comical conies

Posted 11 October 2017 - 10:05 PM

Madrigal?

#4 Entre_Perpetuo

Entre_Perpetuo

Queenmaster

• Members
  • 3409 posts
  • Interests:QueenRushMuseYeah! Oh and MtG.

Posted 11 October 2017 - 10:15 PM

The synth intro to 2112 definitely set the template, that and the synth in Tears... ;)

Actually though TCE and Witch Hunt is pretty spot on. I might argue that Ged was getting the hang of composing synth based stuff by Hems on Circumstances and The Trees, but not really any standalone pieces or full songs until TCE and WH.

#5 lifeson90

lifeson90

Superconductor

• Members
  • 1103 posts

Posted 12 October 2017 - 07:40 AM

Xanadu popped into mind, if those synths, i'm no expert

#6 fraroc

fraroc

Solar Federalist

• Members
  • 2436 posts
  • Interests:Rock music, roller coasters, aviation, writing novels,

Posted 12 October 2017 - 09:28 AM

Keep in mind I'm talking about songs where synths are very prominent, in songs like Xanadu, A Farewell To Kings, YYZ and Tom Sawyer, they're more of an accent.

#7 Planet X-1

Planet X-1

Prime Mover

• Members
  • 629 posts

Posted 12 October 2017 - 10:14 AM

The first true synth-keyboard song is Subdivisions as it's the instrument that carries the melody, without it the song is a dud.

....well more of a dud, actually...since Signals is a dud to begin with, because well, Signals uses keyboards.  :P

#8 grasbo

grasbo

Prime Mover

• Members
  • 765 posts
  • Interests:Music,playing guitar,collecting models,recording,football,cricket,op shopping,chilli,garlic,anchovies,wasabi,mustard,oysters,mussells,beer,war gaming,model railroading,positive people,goldfish

Posted 12 October 2017 - 02:51 PM

lifeson90, on 12 October 2017 - 07:40 AM, said:

I would agree with this.That swirling intro to 2112?.I think Terry Brown did that.Tears?I think that's a Mellotron and Hugh Syme played that.Is Red Sector A the song with no bass? That could technically be it. I think Subdivisions and Countdown are the first real heavy synths songs.

#9 Wil1972

Wil1972

Superconductor

• Members
  • 1320 posts

Posted 12 October 2017 - 03:31 PM

Planet X-1, on 12 October 2017 - 10:14 AM, said:

The first true synth-keyboard song is Subdivisions as it's the instrument that carries the melody, without it the song is a dud.

....well more of a dud, actually...since Signals is a dud to begin with, because well, Signals uses keyboards.  :P

I don't agree Signals is a dud, but I do agree about Subdivisions being the first.

#10 Wil1972

Wil1972

Superconductor

• Members
  • 1320 posts

Posted 12 October 2017 - 03:32 PM

grasbo, on 12 October 2017 - 02:51 PM, said:

lifeson90, on 12 October 2017 - 07:40 AM, said:

That swirling intro to 2112?.I think Terry Brown did that.Tears?I think that's a Mellotron and Hugh Syme played that.

Syme did the 2112 thingie too.

#11 Planet X-1

Planet X-1

Prime Mover

• Members
  • 629 posts

Posted 13 October 2017 - 08:21 AM

View PostWil1972, on 12 October 2017 - 03:31 PM, said:

View PostPlanet X-1, on 12 October 2017 - 10:14 AM, said:

I don't agree Signals is a dud, but I do agree about Subdivisions being the first.

...old Rush Good; new Rush Bad   :D

rinse, repeat

#12 bootruss

bootruss

Restless Young Rushmantic

• Members
  • 52 posts

Posted 13 October 2017 - 12:13 PM

What about in hemispheres.." I have memory and awareness.." some really great textures and sounds in that intro.. The Oberheim doing it's thang!

Edited by bootruss, 13 October 2017 - 12:14 PM.

#13 EagleMoon

EagleMoon

Beauty and the Bass

• Members
  • 21687 posts
  • Interests:GUI and graphic design, writing, reading, hiking with my dog and photography.

Posted 13 October 2017 - 02:42 PM

AFTKs is full of synthy goodness but it was just used as another instrument to compliment the songs. I agree that Subdivisions is the first one where the entire song is carried by it. Thus the slow slide into hell. ;)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users