R40- Overdubs or different shows?

Eel Yddeg

Apparently all the songs from the show sans bonus tracks came from Toronto. However several spots on "Subdivisions" don't match either night.

On Night 1 he goes "In between THE bright lights and..."

Night two "In be-TWEHHN (yodels) the bright lights and..."

but on the R40 live release he hits it cleanly. For lots of the first lines he also sounds pretty weak/frail, and doesn't sound that way on the Toronto audience video.

"Xanadu" also has some spots which are different between the R40 Live release and the audience video, for instance fixing some "yodels".

So did they patch in something from a different night, or were overdubs used?

Edited by Eel Yddeg

Apparently all the songs from the show sans bonus tracks came from Toronto. However several spots on "Subdivisions" don't match either night.

On Night 1 he goes "In between THE bright lights and..."

Night two "In be-TWEHHN (yodels) the bright lights and..."

but on the R40 live release he hits it cleanly. For lots of the first lines he also sounds pretty weak/frail, and doesn't sound that way on the Toronto audience video.

"Xanadu" also has some spots which are different between the R40 Live release and the audience video, for instance fixing some "yodels".

So did they patch in something from a different night, or were overdubs used?

I have no idea, Eel. I'd have to go and listen. The only thing I remember off the top of my head is that the first Toronto night was bad; so bad, that Geddy even messed up the Subdivisions intro.

Edit: I listened to Subdivisions. You're right. It sounds doctored up.

Edited by Lorraine

I'd venture a guess they just patched in audio from another night. Not that difficult to record audio each night these days, and would take a lot less time than overdubbing.

If they “patch” here and there to make it better I guess it’s okay. I enjoy it for what it is. A live Rush show. I remember night 2 in Toronto was one of the best shows I saw on R40. If I want ”perfection”, I’ll listen to the studio recordings. I prefer listening to Rush that way anyway.
  • Like 1

That’s why they did it two consecutive nights so they could use the best of both. Which was a good thing since the first night had a lot of flubs.

As someone who attended the first night in Toronto only, I was amused that the last time I saw Rush, contained the most flubs I had ever heard by them. But I can assure you it was not a "bad" night. I thoroughly enjoyed the show and left with a big smile on my face.

With the relative ease of recording every night as a multitrack, I would love for someone to gather the entire tour and select the best performances of every song and then punch in the best vocal performance of every line, and make a definitive "best of" from the past few tours (especially the Time Machine tour

As someone who attended the first night in Toronto only, I was amused that the last time I saw Rush, contained the most flubs I had ever heard by them. But I can assure you it was not a "bad" night. I thoroughly enjoyed the show and left with a big smile on my face.

With the relative ease of recording every night as a multitrack, I would love for someone to gather the entire tour and select the best performances of every song and then punch in the best vocal performance of every line, and make a definitive "best of" from the past few tours (especially the Time Machine tour

Not sure how that would fall on the authenticity scale.

Sure it would be near perfect, but the humanity in the performance, a key element to what makes Rush Rush would be lost.