October 4th, 1957 SPUTNIK 1 is Lanched, World Changed Forever

Principled Man

60 years ago today, the former Soviet Union launched Sputnik 1 - the first artificial orbital satellite.

http://images.fineartamerica.com/images-medium-large/sputnik-1-launch-ria-novosti.jpg

The consequences of such a launch were world-changing. An escalation of the U.S.-Soviet Cold War, the beginnings of the "Space Race", and countless reports of "UFO's" in our skies. Fear of outer space and global destruction increased exponentially.

An already budding new film genre - Science Fiction - blossomed and became popular in cinemas everywhere. Science Fiction & Horror films routinely featured grave threats to the Earth as well as alien monsters who were out to conquer, enslave or even eat us! :o :o :o

Edited by Principled Man
  • Like 1

:goodposting:

Sputnik's launch energized the science education movement in the US and other parts of the Western World.

It also gave us Tang and Velcro.

• Like 1

And in 5 more days, SpaceX will do it's third launch this year of ten Iridium Next satellites, bring the total of new satellites to 30, with another lunch to be completed by the end of the year. Four more launches next year, and there will be 75 altogether.

Pretty amazing to think about it.

Sputnik's launch energized the science education movement in the US and other parts of the Western World.

GOOD: Decades of knowledge-expanding space exploration :ebert:

BAD: Decades of hallucinations of being abducted by aliens :boo hiss: :boo hiss:

• Like 1

I assume you mean "The Times" gave us Velcro & Tang, because the inventor was a Swiss electrical engineer who got the patent for

velcro in 1955. Maybe his fastening device was used to make certain things in the Russian space service, but was it not influenced by Sputnik. Nor was Tang, which was formulated by a scientist working for General Foods Corporation in 1957 and released as a product in 1959.

hM2WC5Y.gif?1

I assume you mean "The Times" gave us Velcro & Tang, because the inventor was a Swiss electrical engineer who got the patent for

velcro in 1955. Maybe his fastening device was used to make certain things in the Russian space service, but was it not influenced by Sputnik. Nor was Tang, which was formulated by a scientist working for General Foods Corporation in 1957 and released as a product in 1959.

hM2WC5Y.gif?1

Go fly a kite :P

Tang was made popular by NASA, starting with Glenn's Mercury Mission in 1962. Prior to that it was essentially a dead product. And saying Velcro was developed when a Swiss guy contemplated the burrs in his socks...well, that's not sexy at all.

• Like 2

hM2WC5Y.gif?1

Go fly a kite :P

Tang was made popular by NASA, starting with Glenn's Mercury Mission in 1962. Prior to that it was essentially a dead product. And saying Velcro was developed when a Swiss guy contemplated the burrs in his socks...well, that's not sexy at all.

yeah, but that's one thing about today's 'news' that I don't go for when I write. It's not worth my or the reader's time to make the 'news' SEXY. NASA made Tang famous with the Mercury program and John Glenn, you're right, it was a dead product until then, in '62. Sputnik had nothing to do with it. Swiss electrical engineer George de Mestral invented his first touch fastener when, in 1941, he went for a walk in the woods and wondered why Burdock seeds cling to his coat and dog. He discovered it could be turned into something useful.[1] :AlienSmiley:

He patented it in 1955 and subsequently refined and developed its practical manufacture until its commercial introduction in the late 1950s. I think that is SOOOOO COOOOOL! But once again, Sputnik had nothing to do with it, it was definitely a sign of THE TIMES. now take that kite I was flying OUT OF YOUR BUM, you GOOFBALL! :dweez:

NvXk8KK.gif [bATBANANA]

• Like 1