Sonata Arctica
    Pearl Jam
    Biffy Clyro
    Placebo

Posted 10 October 2017 - 03:39 PM

bluefox4000, on 10 October 2017 - 03:33 PM, said:

Entre_Perpetuo, on 10 October 2017 - 02:08 PM, said:

MMCXII, on 09 October 2017 - 08:04 PM, said:

I just realized that I don't listen to enough Tom Petty..

I decided to give thanks to him and his music today as I cooked dinner by typing 'Tom Petty hits' into youtube and just letting it play.. Man everything this guy did just sounds so good!

With most artists I'm selective and tend to avoid the hits but not with Tom Petty.

RIP

Many artist's hits are popular for being trendy. Tom's hits are popular for being great songs.

one of the greatest pop/rock songwriters of our time.  man knew his way around a hook.

And one of the very few select artists with not a single bad record.

Mick

Agreed. I have not heard everything but I doubt anything will disappoint.

Sponsored Post

#222 ReRushed

ReRushed

My Yellow Submarine is docked at Red Sector A

• Members
  • 18669 posts

Posted 10 October 2017 - 04:04 PM

Segue Myles, on 10 October 2017 - 03:39 PM, said:

I decided to give thanks to him and his music today as I cooked dinner by typing 'Tom Petty hits' into youtube and just letting it play.. Man everything this guy did just sounds so good!

With most artists I'm selective and tend to avoid the hits but not with Tom Petty.

RIP

Many artist's hits are popular for being trendy. Tom's hits are popular for being great songs.

one of the greatest pop/rock songwriters of our time.  man knew his way around a hook.

Mick

He was one of the most consistently good rock musicians ever. Quantity and quality.

#223 bluefox4000

bluefox4000

I never talk to strangers

• Members
  • 15749 posts
  • Interests:Music, Reading, Talking

Posted 10 October 2017 - 04:04 PM

ReRushed, on 10 October 2017 - 04:04 PM, said:

RIP

Mick

He was one of the most consistently good rock musicians ever. Quantity and quality.

very rare in music to have both.

Mick

#224 Lorraine

Lorraine

Dial-Up Diva

• Members *
  • 42085 posts

Posted 10 October 2017 - 04:37 PM

ReRushed, on 10 October 2017 - 04:04 PM, said:

RIP

Mick

That he was.

#225 Lorraine

Lorraine

Dial-Up Diva

• Members *
  • 42085 posts

Posted 10 October 2017 - 04:39 PM

Does anyone know how he cracked his hip?

I read that the autopsy wasn't conclusive and they have to wait until the toxicology results come back which may take a few more weeks.

He did say in that final interview with the LA Times reporter that he was quite exhausted.  I'm wondering if that combined with whatever he may have taken to ease his pain could have contributed to his heart failure.

http://hollywoodlife...-died-document/

Edited by Lorraine, 10 October 2017 - 04:48 PM.

#226 J2112YYZ

J2112YYZ

The Sphere

• Members
  • 9813 posts

Posted 10 October 2017 - 07:22 PM

RIP

Exactly.

Petty had this unique ability to write great hit songs that everyone liked but also had the song quality depth beyond that to gain the love he did from multiple generations of fans. I went to high school in the mid 90s and most kids that age hate on the old rockers that their parents dig. But Petty was different. He was one of a handful of older musicians that the younger people thought was cool. There was a genuine sincerity and positive feeling to his music that everyone no matter their age loved him.

#227 RushFanForever

RushFanForever

Superconductor

• Members
  • 1086 posts

Posted 11 October 2017 - 01:07 PM

Peter Wolf wrote about his long time friendship with Tom in Rolling Stone recentlyhere.

#228 Lorraine

Lorraine

Dial-Up Diva

• Members *
  • 42085 posts

Posted 11 October 2017 - 01:12 PM

RushFanForever, on 11 October 2017 - 01:07 PM, said:

Peter Wolf wrote about his long time friendship with Tom in Rolling Stone recentlyhere.

Thank you for posting the link.  I especially liked this part (still haven't found out how he cracked his hip though):

More recently Tom was having hip trouble and in a lot of pain backstage during this summers' tour. He was driven to the performance area in a golf cart and slowly climbed the steps to the stage every night. But what was amazing... once he put on his guitar it seemed like it was a magic wand, taking away every ailment and pain that he was having... and night after night he kept the musical bar high.
That's what I admired about Tom; he worked very hard at everything he did and always with a deep passion and a great sense of dignity. He certainly carved his own way and always stayed one of the good guys!

#229 invisible airwave

invisible airwave

Natural Science Theater 3000

• Members
  • 16313 posts

Posted 12 October 2017 - 12:13 AM

Lorraine, on 05 October 2017 - 02:31 PM, said:

invisible airwave, on 05 October 2017 - 01:50 PM, said:

Just got Highway Companion and She’s The One on vinyl yesterday at my local indie record store.
A birthday gift to yourself?  :)
Yep, used my money on my day off to pay tribute.

#230 RushFanForever

RushFanForever

Superconductor

• Members
  • 1086 posts

Posted 07 November 2017 - 01:08 AM

Lorraine, on 11 October 2017 - 01:12 PM, said:

RushFanForever, on 11 October 2017 - 01:07 PM, said:

Peter Wolf wrote about his long time friendship with Tom in Rolling Stone recently here.

Thank you for posting the link.  I especially liked this part (still haven't found out how he cracked his hip though):

This article from Rolling Stone here may help with the above:

Very few people beyond the Heartbreakers' immediate circle knew that Petty was suffering, at each gig, from a hairline fracture in his left hip, which he planned to deal with after the tour. "I don't know how it happened," says his longtime manager Tony Dimitriades. "I don't think he even knew when it happened." At one point, Dimitriades told Petty, "You can't tour like that." The singer responded, "Why not? I'll do it in a chair if I have to."

Edited by RushFanForever, 07 November 2017 - 01:09 AM.

#231 Lorraine

Lorraine

Dial-Up Diva

• Members *
  • 42085 posts

Posted 07 November 2017 - 07:57 AM

A few times a week i check to see if the blood tests report has come back yet.  Still haven't found anything definitive as to the cause of his death.

#232 tangy

tangy

The Great Progholio

• Members
  • 9376 posts

Posted 09 November 2017 - 03:12 PM

May he rip. Until 10 minutes ago i did not think i had ever seen him live but...

Too efffing funny. I was checking out the setlist for a dead show i saw. I do remember bob dylan but have never remembered petty playing.

Holy beam me up scotty!

#233 Oracle

Oracle

Solar Federalist

• Members *
  • 2118 posts
  • Interests:Basically anything that can interest me.

Posted 09 November 2017 - 03:19 PM

tangy, on 09 November 2017 - 03:12 PM, said:

May he rip. Until 10 minutes ago i did not think i had ever seen him live but...

Too efffing funny. I was checking out the setlist for a dead show i saw. I do remember bob dylan but have never remembered petty playing.

Holy beam me up scotty!

Those were some pretty good shows. Must have been quite the tour!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users