Rest In Peace - Tom Petty Died

Lorraine

Just ordered Full Moon Fever! :codger:

One does not make a collection, but I'm on my way! :)

I love this. Wildflowers too!

Me and you can work our way through the lot! I have five albums and each have taken hold in my heart.

Yesterday I was going to order The Live Anthology. It's sitting in my out bucket. What should I do? They had only one left at $19.99. All the others were cost prohibitive.

I really wanted a live dvd of his, but I can't seem to find any that don't cost way more than I'd ever spend on any band.

I want that anthology too but I feel more excited to get his easier to afford studio albums!

i know why his death affects me. Believe it or not i didn't start listening to him regularly till late 2015. but he's always been in my life one way or the other. when i was little the big song was still Free Falliin' and the played the video almost daily. that and Don't come around here no more.

Add to that my uncle was a HUGE Traveling Willburys fan. and had their first record spinning basically on a loop in his home.

add to that i always just liked his personality.

yea this loss is a big one. a constant in music is just not there anymore.

Mick

I love the Traveling Wilburys.

• Like 2

Doesn't he have any live concert footage on dvd? And why is all of his stuff so expensive?

Do you have Netflix? If so, watch Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers: Runnin' Down a Dream. It's nearly four hours and wonderful.

Doesn't he have any live concert footage on dvd? And why is all of his stuff so expensive?

Do you have Netflix? If so, watch Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers: Runnin' Down a Dream. It's nearly four hours and wonderful.

No. No Netflix. Thanks anyway. :cheers:

Tom Petty and RUSH performed on one tour date together:

November 26, 1977 - Tower Theatre -- Upper Darby, Pennsylvania

20150919-145803-587931.jpg

Below is the set list for both acts referencing the above date.

Tom Petty

Rush

I just noticed the Rush setlist...Cinderella Man as an encore? WTF? Anyway, I digress.

Not a fan of Petty, but kudos to his career and uncompromising approach. I don't hate his material, but his singles just got overplayed IMO. RIP.

Edited by HemiBeers
  • Like 1

Into the Great Wide Open is an underrated gem. Lots of great tracks on that one. Echo, The Last DJ, and Mojo also had some fantastic songs. I listened to 2 yesterday and he was still releasing great material

I have you to thank for helping me get into him.

Into the Great Wide Open is an underrated gem. Lots of great tracks on that one. Echo, The Last DJ, and Mojo also had some fantastic songs. I listened to 2 yesterday and he was still releasing great material

Always loved Into The Great Wide Open. Such a great feeling on that album. One of those things I listen to when I need to get in a positive state of mind. Among his best albums along with Damn The Torpedoes, Hard Promises and Full Moon Fever.

No. No Netflix. Thanks anyway. :cheers:

Wasn't "Pack Up the Plantation" released as a dvd?

edit: http://www.maximumsound.org/Tom-Petty-Pack-up-the-Plantation-Live-1985-on-DVD_p_9209.html

:)

or...

https://www.amazon.com/Soundstage-Presents-Petty-Heartbreakers-Live/dp/B0006A9I5M

Edited by goose

I have you to thank for helping me get into him.

I will forever preach the gospel of Petty.

Listened to a bunch of his songs yesterday at work. Also a bunch of the Traveling Wilburys songs... End of the Line choked me up.

Hard to watch George and Roy too, they were favorites of mine as well. Tom wasn't always one I listened to but earlier this summer I listened to a number of songs on my ipod. He was good and he is gone too soon :rose:

• Like 1

I was never a big fan but played a lot of his songs in the cover bands I used to be in years ago. My favorites are Refugee, The Waiting, Mary Janes Last Dance, Dont Come Around Here No More and I Won’t Back down.

Edited by EagleMoon
  • Like 1

And I can't for the life of me figure out why Tom's death has so affected me. This has really broken me up. I can't stop thinking about him and hearing his music in my head - day and night. It's probably the recent emotional connection made, but I never realized how much good music he put out over the decades.

I don't really cry when a musician or famous person dies. I feel depressed, but it's something I get over quick. It's not like I knew them, you know? But Tom's passing was just so sudden. It's not like we knew he had cancer or some other terminal disease and were expecting him to go relatively soon. My emotional connection to Tom goes back to my earliest memories of listening to him in the car with my mom. My parents' heyday was when Petty and the Heartbreakers were on MTV and selling out arenas. Hell, "Wildflowers" came out a few months after I was born and both my parents connect those songs to that particular year. I did cry when he passed, because Tom was such an integral part of my childhood. He helped get me through high school, death...lots of stuff. It's like losing a mentor, in a way.

• Like 2

Another reason his death was such a surprise is that he just finished a tour a week or so before it. While touring does help to keep musicians active and in shape the lifestyle does seem to take about a decade off their lives.

And I can't for the life of me figure out why Tom's death has so affected me. This has really broken me up. I can't stop thinking about him and hearing his music in my head - day and night. It's probably the recent emotional connection made, but I never realized how much good music he put out over the decades.

I don't really cry when a musician or famous person dies. I feel depressed, but it's something I get over quick. It's not like I knew them, you know? But Tom's passing was just so sudden. It's not like we knew he had cancer or some other terminal disease and were expecting him to go relatively soon. My emotional connection to Tom goes back to my earliest memories of listening to him in the car with my mom. My parents' heyday was when Petty and the Heartbreakers were on MTV and selling out arenas. Hell, "Wildflowers" came out a few months after I was born and both my parents connect those songs to that particular year. I did cry when he passed, because Tom was such an integral part of my childhood. He helped get me through high school, death...lots of stuff. It's like losing a mentor, in a way.

Maybe you just hit on it - losing a mentor. Yesterday when I was listening to him again, it was an awful feeling in my heart. Like yourself, I certainly don't go overboard when anyone of these characters departs this vale of tears; like you also said, it's not like we knew them, right?

It's the emotional connection and the constant and the music that was there for you when no one else was or could be bothered to be.

Edited by Lorraine

Tom Petty's final interview with the LA Times posted here.

Also former Byrds member Chris Hillman remembers Petty here with clips from his new album.

Rounder Records has uploaded the new Chris Hillman release

as well.

Everyone go check out the picture of Tom posted in the LA Times link. It is probably the last one taken of him a few days before he died. I tried to copy it here, but it won't do it.

I guess they did an autopsy: http://www.latimes.c...1004-story.html

I did not know he had a cracked hip and was taking pain killers. Nor did I know that he had at one time been a heroin addict. I hope that neither contributed to his too early demise.

Another edit: I love the comment sections of these articles. I learn a lot. Another person said he was "kind and good of soul."

Edited by Lorraine

I guess they did an autopsy: http://www.latimes.c...1004-story.html

I did not know he had a cracked hip and was taking pain killers. Nor did I know that he had at one time been a heroin addict. I hope that neither contributed to his too early demise.

Another edit: I love the comment sections of these articles. I learn a lot. Another person said he was "kind and good of soul."

I don't know when and for how long he had a heroin addiction but that certainly could have done some kind of heart damage.