Mystic Rhythms: Authentic Rush Tribute Band...Holy f**k they were good!

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#21 JohnnyBlaze

JohnnyBlaze

The Ghost Rider

• Members *
  • 30145 posts

Posted 02 October 2017 - 05:26 PM

View PostPound of Obscure, on 02 October 2017 - 04:48 PM, said:

View Postgrasbo, on 02 October 2017 - 03:30 PM, said:

Mightily impressed with Lotus Land as well.How many Geddy lookalikes ,bald or with wigs,are running around with tight trousers?Also both bands have adapted certain mannerisms.For example the drummers look serious,studious and grumpy.
Yeah, they are freakin great!

Instrumentally, they're the closest I've found to the real deal.

When it comes to the vocals, it's virtually impossible to find someone who can do a highly accurate 70s Geddy. So IMHO, it ends up being a trio of great musicians with vocals that are 'ok' but nothing more. No complaint here; Geddy himself hasn't been able to mimic his 70s self for decades.

Edited by JohnnyBlaze, 02 October 2017 - 05:27 PM.

Sponsored Post

#22 Pound of Obscure

Pound of Obscure

Rushaholic

• Members
  • 1577 posts
  • Interests:Drums, basketball, P90X/Insanity

Posted 04 October 2017 - 12:32 PM

View PostJohnnyBlaze, on 02 October 2017 - 05:26 PM, said:

View PostPound of Obscure, on 02 October 2017 - 04:48 PM, said:

Mightily impressed with Lotus Land as well.How many Geddy lookalikes ,bald or with wigs,are running around with tight trousers?Also both bands have adapted certain mannerisms.For example the drummers look serious,studious and grumpy.
Yeah, they are freakin great!

Instrumentally, they're the closest I've found to the real deal.

When it comes to the vocals, it's virtually impossible to find someone who can do a highly accurate 70s Geddy. So IMHO, it ends up being a trio of great musicians with vocals that are 'ok' but nothing more. No complaint here; Geddy himself hasn't been able to mimic his 70s self for decades.

He does a good job vocally I think. Nobody sounds like Ged. But he hits the high stuff with full voice. Not that singing high through your nose stuff that most people have to do.

#23 ytserush

ytserush

The Professor

• Members *
  • 3902 posts

Posted 06 October 2017 - 08:40 PM

View Postfraroc, on 01 October 2017 - 07:25 AM, said:

Yesterday, I went to see this authentic three-piece Rush tribute band called Mystic Rhythms and I thought they were going to be good, but I didn't think they were gonna be THAT good. The Geddy impersonator does it all, singing, playing the bass, and playing the keyboards! He even added some extra keyboard parts to some songs.

Apparently, this was the first time they've done a fully themed show celebrating all four decades of Rush music. They kind of followed the same template as the R40 tour where they go from last to first as opposed from first to last (lol geddit) however they did mix some things up and did things to keep the fans on their toes :)

From the top of my head, their setlist went as follows

Set 1

1.The Spirit of Radio
2.BU2B
3.Far Cry
4.Limelight
5.Driven
6.Animate
7.The Big Money
8.Subdivisions
9.Mystic Rhythms
10.Drum Solo
11. Roll The Bones

Set 2

1.Tom Sawyer
2.Freewill
3.YYZ
4.The Trees
5.Closer To The Heart
6. 2112
(Overture)
(Temples)
(Discovery)
(Presentation)
(Oracle)
(Soliloquy)
(The Grand Finale)
7. Working Man

It was a neat little package they did to celebrate all eras of Rush, of course they couldn't do everything, but according to the Geddy impersonator, they have over six hours of Rush music completely memorized! But still, it was a great show. For everybody who scoffs at the idea of Rush tribute bands, please give these guys a chance. These guys don't screw around.

That they play anything after Signals automatically puts them high on my "to see" list.

My favorite Rush tribute band was Power Windows, but they're just a distant fond memory now.

#24 jnoble

jnoble

Superconductor

• Members
  • 1076 posts

Posted 07 October 2017 - 05:00 PM

The singer of Rush tribute bands is often the key to how good they are. I've seen a few on youtube (won't name the names in case they read this forum) who had singers who were just God AWFUL...like somebody doing a cringy impersonation of Lee.

#25 ytserush

ytserush

The Professor

• Members *
  • 3902 posts

Posted 08 October 2017 - 10:48 AM

View Postjnoble, on 07 October 2017 - 05:00 PM, said:

The singer of Rush tribute bands is often the key to how good they are. I've seen a few on youtube (won't name the names in case they read this forum) who had singers who were just God AWFUL...like somebody doing a cringy impersonation of Lee.

I don't need it to sound like Geddy on the records. If the "spirit"  in the whole performance is there, I'm going to love it.

#26 jnoble

jnoble

Superconductor

• Members
  • 1076 posts

Posted 08 October 2017 - 09:51 PM

To each their own. But I find it impossible to enjoy a band no matter how much spirit they have if I'm making a pained cringe face at the vocals lol

#27 furie

furie

Solar Federalist

• Members *
  • 2304 posts

Posted 09 October 2017 - 09:44 PM

View Postdjflex, on 01 October 2017 - 03:10 PM, said:

Just curious how much were tickets?

I saw them in Huntington, LI. I paid $40 each, but that was for front row balcony, geddy side.

#28 JohnnyBlaze

JohnnyBlaze

The Ghost Rider

• Members *
  • 30145 posts

Posted 09 October 2017 - 09:56 PM

View Postfurie, on 09 October 2017 - 09:44 PM, said:

I saw them in Huntington, LI. I paid $40 each, but that was for front row balcony, geddy side.

Isn't that a lot for a cover band? I honestly don't know but it seems like it to me.

#29 ytserush

ytserush

The Professor

• Members *
  • 3902 posts

Posted 10 October 2017 - 07:17 PM

View PostJohnnyBlaze, on 09 October 2017 - 09:56 PM, said:

Isn't that a lot for a cover band? I honestly don't know but it seems like it to me.

It is for me, but that's pretty much the going rate for most tribute bands these days.  Guess that's why I  never go to see them. (Unless it's Rush of course.)

I suppose if I ever found a Marillion or Kevin Gilbert tribute, I might check them out too following some research.

#30 blueschica

blueschica

What the Puck?

• Members
  • 5861 posts
  • Interests:Camping, gardening, muscle cars, NASCAR, Rush!

Posted 10 October 2017 - 09:19 PM

View PostJohnnyBlaze, on 02 October 2017 - 09:12 AM, said:

It's cool that tribute bands exist. And it's a helluva tall order to be a Rush tribute band so my hat's off to those that can do it well.

I caught a few YouTube vids of Mystic Rhythms doing their thing and they do it respectably.

Here's another Rush tribute band that does it well IMHO:

A FB group I'm in just had a group meet up at a Lotus Land concert in South Carolina a few weeks ago. LL got rave reviews!! I was wishing SC was closer.

Edited by blueschica, 10 October 2017 - 09:20 PM.

#31 JohnnyBlaze

JohnnyBlaze

The Ghost Rider

• Members *
  • 30145 posts

Posted 10 October 2017 - 09:22 PM

View Postblueschica, on 10 October 2017 - 09:19 PM, said:

It's cool that tribute bands exist. And it's a helluva tall order to be a Rush tribute band so my hat's off to those that can do it well.

I caught a few YouTube vids of Mystic Rhythms doing their thing and they do it respectably.

A FB group I'm in just had a group meet up at a Lotus Land concert in South Carolina a few weeks ago. LL got rave reviews!! I was wishing SC was closer.

10-12 hour drive?

#32 blueschica

blueschica

What the Puck?

• Members
  • 5861 posts
  • Interests:Camping, gardening, muscle cars, NASCAR, Rush!

Posted 10 October 2017 - 10:53 PM

View PostJohnnyBlaze, on 10 October 2017 - 09:22 PM, said:

View Postblueschica, on 10 October 2017 - 09:19 PM, said:

10-12 hour drive?

I think only about 10 hrs.  I had actually just joined the group earlier this month shortly after the meet up.  Excuses, excuses.  It looked like a fun time!

#33 furie

furie

Solar Federalist

• Members *
  • 2304 posts

Posted 15 October 2017 - 04:40 PM

$10 if you wanted to stand in GA.

#34 fraroc

fraroc

Solar Federalist

• Members
  • 2463 posts
  • Interests:Rock music, roller coasters, aviation, writing novels,

Posted 17 October 2017 - 03:55 PM

Totally worth it. Trust me.

#35 ytserush

ytserush

The Professor

• Members *
  • 3902 posts

Posted 21 October 2017 - 10:42 AM

View Postfurie, on 15 October 2017 - 04:40 PM, said:

$10 is a totally different story.  

For $40, a cover/tribute has got to totally get the spirit and vibe of what they are playing for me to see them and even then  Marillion or Emerson Lake and Palmer tribute band would have to drop out of the sky for me to even consider it.

#36 fraroc

fraroc

Solar Federalist

• Members
  • 2463 posts

Posted 21 October 2017 - 07:16 PM

View Postytserush, on 21 October 2017 - 10:42 AM, said:

For $40, a cover/tribute has got to totally get the spirit and vibe of what they are playing for me to see them and even then  Marillion or Emerson Lake and Palmer tribute band would have to drop out of the sky for me to even consider it.

I wouldnt be going on and on as much if they didn't do just that. Trust me, these guys are definitely worth seeing.

#37 JohnnyBlaze

JohnnyBlaze

The Ghost Rider

• Members *
  • 30145 posts

Posted 21 October 2017 - 07:52 PM

View Postfraroc, on 21 October 2017 - 07:16 PM, said:

I wouldnt be going on and on as much if they didn't do just that. Trust me, these guys are definitely worth seeing.

I'd rather see 4 different cover bands over 4 gigs in GA for $40 than 1 cover band with reserved seating for that same price.

#38 fraroc

fraroc

Solar Federalist

• Members
  • 2463 posts

Posted 21 October 2017 - 11:52 PM

View PostJohnnyBlaze, on 21 October 2017 - 07:52 PM, said:

I'd rather see 4 different cover bands over 4 gigs in GA for $40 than 1 cover band with reserved seating for that same price.

Your loss.

#39 JohnnyBlaze

JohnnyBlaze

The Ghost Rider

• Members *
  • 30145 posts

Posted 21 October 2017 - 11:55 PM

View Postfraroc, on 21 October 2017 - 11:52 PM, said:

Your loss.

:lol:

It's not a loss if the bottom line is that I don't care too much about cover bands. I can still respect their efforts.

Besides, how is preferring to go to four concerts instead of one a loss? Explain that.

#40 ytserush

ytserush

The Professor

• Members *
  • 3902 posts

Posted 27 October 2017 - 03:40 PM

Depends on the band.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users