Jump to content


When did Geddy's voice change? When did he begin to sing in a deeper register and get away from the "shrieking" of the early days?

to hell with goodhell JEDDIE LEE Jedi Lee Goodie Lee goosie lee goodhell lee kinky lee peart lee alex lee

  • Please log in to reply
69 replies to this topic

Poll: When did Geddy's voice change? When did he begin to sing in a deeper register and get away from the "shrieking" of the early days? (42 member(s) have cast votes)

When did Geddy's voice get deeper, and put an end to the banshee screams?

  1. RUSH - I remember back in 1970 when he REALLY had a high voice (0 votes [0.00%])

    Percentage of vote: 0.00%

  2. Fly By Night - his vocals are tuned down to owl from tweetie bird (0 votes [0.00%])

    Percentage of vote: 0.00%

  3. Caress of Steel - Neil's voice was deep but he needed crap tape effects, Lee had the real deep voice (0 votes [0.00%])

    Percentage of vote: 0.00%

  4. 2112 - You can see that Geddy's balls had dropped in that gay disco outfit he wore on the cover (0 votes [0.00%])

    Percentage of vote: 0.00%

  5. A Farewell to Kings - Clearly his singing is deeper on this record he cracked less than a thousand wine glasses making it (0 votes [0.00%])

    Percentage of vote: 0.00%

  6. Hemispheres - No listen...his voice is really deep on this one, so deep it made Alex's hair curl (0 votes [0.00%])

    Percentage of vote: 0.00%

  7. Permanent Waves - Yes this is the album, he was pretty much crooning on a couple of these tracks (21 votes [50.00%] - View)

    Percentage of vote: 50.00%

  8. Moving Pictures - He sounds like Barry White on this one, I can't believe it's the same band (5 votes [11.90%] - View)

    Percentage of vote: 11.90%

  9. Signals - Ever see the Adams Family? Think of Lurch, Geddy makes him sound like a little girl on this album (7 votes [16.67%] - View)

    Percentage of vote: 16.67%

  10. Grace Under Pressure - By now Geddy's voice cannot be heard by the human ear, it's SO low! (1 votes [2.38%] - View)

    Percentage of vote: 2.38%

  11. Power Windows - You need Power Windows to shut out the low sound waves that shudder through your body from Geddy's 1985 warbling (1 votes [2.38%] - View)

    Percentage of vote: 2.38%

  12. Hold Your Fire - He caused an earthquake in New Zealand while recording this one (0 votes [0.00%])

    Percentage of vote: 0.00%

  13. Presto - I never listened to this one so I have no idea what he did on it (2 votes [4.76%] - View)

    Percentage of vote: 4.76%

  14. Roll the Bones - Geddy did the rap on this for obvious reasons, his voice had finally broken (2 votes [4.76%] - View)

    Percentage of vote: 4.76%

  15. Counterparts - Geddy created grunge with his low tones on this one (2 votes [4.76%] - View)

    Percentage of vote: 4.76%

  16. Test For Echo - They thought it was a Geddy robot at first (0 votes [0.00%])

    Percentage of vote: 0.00%

  17. Vapor Trails - Are there vocals on this one? (1 votes [2.38%] - View)

    Percentage of vote: 2.38%

  18. Snakes & Arrows - Finally Geddy sounds like a man! Unfortunately though a man with no balls! (0 votes [0.00%])

    Percentage of vote: 0.00%

  19. Clockwork Angels - Clockwork Lee was the original title, all you can hear is ticking when he sings because of the low register (0 votes [0.00%])

    Percentage of vote: 0.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#61 Lorraine

Lorraine

    Dial-Up Diva

  • Members *
  • 42114 posts
  • Gender:Female

Posted 05 October 2017 - 01:06 PM

View Postgoose, on 04 October 2017 - 06:28 PM, said:

View PostNarps, on 04 October 2017 - 05:58 PM, said:

View PostRUSHHEAD666, on 04 October 2017 - 01:36 AM, said:

For me his amazing shrieking voice started to change like Peter Brady's after "Permanent Waves."  I picked this album because Geddy (in my opinion) rips it in the middle of "Freewill."  I love that vocal part!  KILLER!

Then after that he changed.
Pork chops & applesauce lol...
:musicnote:   "Autumn turn to winter, then winter turns to spring..." :musicnote:


Love that fringed suede top of Greg's, and the little one's lace-up white boots are the cat's meow.

Sponsored Post

#62 treeduck

treeduck

    Tenacious T

  • Members *
  • 83486 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Manchester, England

Posted 05 October 2017 - 01:34 PM

View PostLorraine, on 05 October 2017 - 01:06 PM, said:

View Postgoose, on 04 October 2017 - 06:28 PM, said:

View PostNarps, on 04 October 2017 - 05:58 PM, said:

View PostRUSHHEAD666, on 04 October 2017 - 01:36 AM, said:

For me his amazing shrieking voice started to change like Peter Brady's after "Permanent Waves."  I picked this album because Geddy (in my opinion) rips it in the middle of "Freewill."  I love that vocal part!  KILLER!

Then after that he changed.
Pork chops & applesauce lol...
:musicnote:   "Autumn turn to winter, then winter turns to spring..." :musicnote:


Love that fringed suede top of Greg's, and the little one's lace-up white boots are the cat's meow.
You belong in that world Lorraine, the Lorraine Bunch!

#63 rftag

rftag

    The Seeker

  • Members *
  • 276 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:NYC
  • Interests:Scuba diving, travel, science, philosophy, wildlife, skepticism, belief systems, consciousness

Posted 11 October 2017 - 07:27 PM

Definitely Moving Pictures.

His last classic screeching was the "each of us, a cell of awareness" etc bit in Freewill on PeW.

#64 treeduck

treeduck

    Tenacious T

  • Members *
  • 83486 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Manchester, England

Posted 06 November 2017 - 02:27 PM

I love this poll.

#65 Lorraine

Lorraine

    Dial-Up Diva

  • Members *
  • 42114 posts
  • Gender:Female

Posted 06 November 2017 - 02:31 PM

Watch it, buddy.

#66 Lorraine

Lorraine

    Dial-Up Diva

  • Members *
  • 42114 posts
  • Gender:Female

Posted 06 November 2017 - 02:35 PM

Do you think your Iron Maiden poll is better than this one?

#67 treeduck

treeduck

    Tenacious T

  • Members *
  • 83486 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Manchester, England

Posted 06 November 2017 - 06:06 PM

View PostLorraine, on 06 November 2017 - 02:35 PM, said:

Do you think your Iron Maiden poll is better than this one?
:no:

What do you think about JEDDIE LEE? :smoke:

#68 Lorraine

Lorraine

    Dial-Up Diva

  • Members *
  • 42114 posts
  • Gender:Female

Posted 06 November 2017 - 06:16 PM

View Posttreeduck, on 06 November 2017 - 06:06 PM, said:

View PostLorraine, on 06 November 2017 - 02:35 PM, said:

Do you think your Iron Maiden poll is better than this one?
:no:

What do you think about JEDDIE LEE? :smoke:
When the seventies were over, he stopped screeching.

Has anyone ever asked him why he stopped singing so high?  Or what made him sing so high to begin with?  Was that his natural singing voice, or did he choose to sing that high?

#69 Wil1972

Wil1972

    Superconductor

  • Members
  • 1417 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Alabama

Posted 06 November 2017 - 08:25 PM

View PostLorraine, on 06 November 2017 - 06:16 PM, said:

View Posttreeduck, on 06 November 2017 - 06:06 PM, said:

View PostLorraine, on 06 November 2017 - 02:35 PM, said:

Do you think your Iron Maiden poll is better than this one?
:no:

What do you think about JEDDIE LEE? :smoke:
When the seventies were over, he stopped screeching.

Has anyone ever asked him why he stopped singing so high?  Or what made him sing so high to begin with?  Was that his natural singing voice, or did he choose to sing that high?


I seem to remember reading that Ged sang in a less high voice until Led Zep came along and then he went into Robert Plant mode.

#70 Oracle

Oracle

    Solar Federalist

  • Members *
  • 2118 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Southwest Ohio
  • Interests:Basically anything that can interest me.

Posted 06 November 2017 - 08:33 PM

Gotta agree with everyone and say PeW/Moving Pictures, though I contend that you can easily hear his voice shifting during the later part of the AFTK tour. Geddy's vocal peak, in terms of nuance and ability, was certainly between 1980 and 1985.





Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: to hell with goodhell, JEDDIE LEE, Jedi Lee, Goodie Lee, goosie lee, goodhell lee, kinky lee, peart lee, alex lee

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users