When did Geddy's voice change? When did he begin to sing in a deeper register and get away from the "shrieking" of the early days?

to hell with goodhell JEDDIE LEE Jedi Lee Goodie Lee goosie lee goodhell lee kinky lee peart lee alex lee

• Please log in to reply
69 replies to this topic

Poll: When did Geddy's voice change? When did he begin to sing in a deeper register and get away from the "shrieking" of the early days? (42 member(s) have cast votes)

When did Geddy's voice get deeper, and put an end to the banshee screams?

1. RUSH - I remember back in 1970 when he REALLY had a high voice (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

2. Fly By Night - his vocals are tuned down to owl from tweetie bird (0 votes [0.00%])

3. Caress of Steel - Neil's voice was deep but he needed crap tape effects, Lee had the real deep voice (0 votes [0.00%])

4. 2112 - You can see that Geddy's balls had dropped in that gay disco outfit he wore on the cover (0 votes [0.00%])

5. A Farewell to Kings - Clearly his singing is deeper on this record he cracked less than a thousand wine glasses making it (0 votes [0.00%])

6. Hemispheres - No listen...his voice is really deep on this one, so deep it made Alex's hair curl (0 votes [0.00%])

7. Permanent Waves - Yes this is the album, he was pretty much crooning on a couple of these tracks (21 votes [50.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 50.00%

8. Moving Pictures - He sounds like Barry White on this one, I can't believe it's the same band (5 votes [11.90%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 11.90%

9. Signals - Ever see the Adams Family? Think of Lurch, Geddy makes him sound like a little girl on this album (7 votes [16.67%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 16.67%

10. Grace Under Pressure - By now Geddy's voice cannot be heard by the human ear, it's SO low! (1 votes [2.38%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 2.38%

11. Power Windows - You need Power Windows to shut out the low sound waves that shudder through your body from Geddy's 1985 warbling (1 votes [2.38%] - View)

12. Hold Your Fire - He caused an earthquake in New Zealand while recording this one (0 votes [0.00%])

13. Presto - I never listened to this one so I have no idea what he did on it (2 votes [4.76%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 4.76%

14. Roll the Bones - Geddy did the rap on this for obvious reasons, his voice had finally broken (2 votes [4.76%] - View)

15. Counterparts - Geddy created grunge with his low tones on this one (2 votes [4.76%] - View)

16. Test For Echo - They thought it was a Geddy robot at first (0 votes [0.00%])

17. Vapor Trails - Are there vocals on this one? (1 votes [2.38%] - View)

18. Snakes & Arrows - Finally Geddy sounds like a man! Unfortunately though a man with no balls! (0 votes [0.00%])

19. Clockwork Angels - Clockwork Lee was the original title, all you can hear is ticking when he sings because of the low register (0 votes [0.00%])

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 treeduck

treeduck

Tenacious T

• Members *
  • 83612 posts

Posted 26 September 2017 - 03:13 PM

Well then? Let's hear about it!

Edited by treeduck, 26 September 2017 - 05:18 PM.

Sponsored Post

#2 Eel Yddeg

Eel Yddeg

Prime Mover

• Members
  • 521 posts
  • Interests:Many

Posted 26 September 2017 - 03:37 PM

Permanent Waves, clearly. His voice shifted significantly on the Hemispheres Tour, losing a lot of his high range power and struggling to sing songs like "Cygnus X-1" which he could sing much better on the AFTK Tour.

#3 LyndseyG

LyndseyG

The Sphere

• Members *
  • 7717 posts
  • Interests:Reading, movies, knitting, cross stitch, playing my ukulele, the Seattle Seahawks and the New Orleans Saints.

Posted 26 September 2017 - 03:43 PM

^^

What Eel said.

#4 Entre_Perpetuo

Entre_Perpetuo

Queenmaster

• Members
  • 3550 posts
  • Interests:QueenRushMuseYeah! Oh and MtG.

Posted 26 September 2017 - 04:03 PM

It began with PeW (though his screams on Hems are not half as "banshee" like as those on 2112, and similarly Finding My Way is the absolute peak of this characteristic of his voice), but I don't think his voice had really changed (in the way we perceive it) until MP. By MP it was a rarity to hear that signature wail, on PeW it was a very recent memory, and one still preserved by the likes of the middle section of Freewill. When we first hear Ged in Tom Sawyer, something has very obviously changed. The band is playing more more subtly, but the power seems to have doubled. The synths are now a centerpiece more than a feature, and Ged sounds more like a prophetic monk than a helium wasted Robert Plant. The effect is awesome, but it's definitely different.

#5 Eel Yddeg

Eel Yddeg

Prime Mover

• Members
  • 521 posts

Posted 26 September 2017 - 04:10 PM

His singing technique improved significantly around 2112-Hemispheres, his high singing doesn't really sound like screaming on those albums.

#6 bootruss

bootruss

Restless Young Rushmantic

• Members
  • 53 posts

Posted 26 September 2017 - 04:12 PM

Signals was the first time I thought that something had changed..from MP to this album I thought that something was wrong with his voice. Yet he bounced back with GuP, with a stronger more aggressive tone.

#7 Eel Yddeg

Eel Yddeg

Prime Mover

• Members
  • 521 posts

Posted 26 September 2017 - 04:16 PM

Personally I think his '70s singing was his peak, it's disappointing that he lost the ability to sing high like that around 1979.

#8 JohnRogers

JohnRogers

Holy Tai Shan!!!

• Members *
  • 23473 posts
  • Interests:American Muscle/Sports cars, Movies, New York City Subway, Cigar Lounges

Posted 26 September 2017 - 04:24 PM

Interesting discussion...

#9 NewWorldScott

NewWorldScott

Long Awaited Froind

• Members
  • 38 posts

Posted 26 September 2017 - 04:40 PM

I'd say "Permanent Waves"was the true start. But my MP and Signals, he was full fledged into the lower register.

#10 treeduck

treeduck

Tenacious T

• Members *
  • 83612 posts

Posted 26 September 2017 - 05:14 PM

View Postbootruss, on 26 September 2017 - 04:12 PM, said:

Signals was the first time I thought that something had changed..from MP to this album I thought that something was wrong with his voice. Yet he bounced back with GuP, with a stronger more aggressive tone.
I remember buying the 12 inch single of New World Man in 1982 and I was thinking it sounded like a different guy it was so different. I think it had changed before that though.

#11 blueschica

blueschica

What the Puck?

• Members
  • 5861 posts
  • Interests:Camping, gardening, muscle cars, NASCAR, Rush!

Posted 26 September 2017 - 05:15 PM

Your voice descriptions are (almost) as awesome as Geddy's voice!!  :lol:  :lol:

#12 treeduck

treeduck

Tenacious T

• Members *
  • 83612 posts

Posted 26 September 2017 - 05:16 PM

View Postblueschica, on 26 September 2017 - 05:15 PM, said:

Your voice descriptions are (almost) as awesome as Geddy's voice!!  :lol:  :lol:
:notworthy: :goodone: :ebert: :yay: :hi:

#13 Wil1972

Wil1972

Superconductor

• Members
  • 1437 posts

Posted 26 September 2017 - 05:39 PM

Signals

#14 edhunter

edhunter

Rushaholic

• Members *
  • 1732 posts

Posted 26 September 2017 - 06:07 PM

Like most of us, Geddy went through "the change" around 13 years old or so. Remember this?

https://youtu.be/IFzyk0h0Jyk

#15 JohnnyBlaze

JohnnyBlaze

The Ghost Rider

• Members *
  • 30145 posts

Posted 26 September 2017 - 06:33 PM

Posted Image

Posted Image

"I'm looking for Lurch...but...all I see...is...you...beautiful...YOU." - Captain Kirk

#16 canadianice

canadianice

Solar Federalist

• Members
  • 2964 posts

Posted 26 September 2017 - 06:38 PM

View Postedhunter, on 26 September 2017 - 06:07 PM, said:

Like most of us, Geddy went through "the change" around 13 years old or so. Remember this?

https://youtu.be/IFzyk0h0Jyk
  How corny was that?

#17 treeduck

treeduck

Tenacious T

• Members *
  • 83612 posts

Posted 26 September 2017 - 06:52 PM

View PostJohnnyBlaze, on 26 September 2017 - 06:33 PM, said:

Posted Image

Posted Image

"I'm looking for Lurch...but...all I see...is...you...beautiful...YOU." - Captain Kirk
This post scores :burger: :burger: :burger: :burger: :burger: :hotdog: :hotdog: :hotdog: :hotdog: :hotdog:

#18 JohnnyBlaze

JohnnyBlaze

The Ghost Rider

• Members *
  • 30145 posts

Posted 26 September 2017 - 06:56 PM

View Posttreeduck, on 26 September 2017 - 06:52 PM, said:

Posted Image

Posted Image

This post scores :burger: :burger: :burger: :burger: :burger: :hotdog: :hotdog: :hotdog: :hotdog: :hotdog:

Look at Kirk's face there. He'd hump an ottoman if you left him alone for 2 minutes.

#19 treeduck

treeduck

Tenacious T

• Members *
  • 83612 posts

Posted 26 September 2017 - 06:57 PM

View PostJohnnyBlaze, on 26 September 2017 - 06:56 PM, said:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Look at Kirk's face there. He'd hump an ottoman if you left him alone for 2 minutes.
Or a flea-bitten bloodhound.

#20 JohnnyBlaze

JohnnyBlaze

The Ghost Rider

• Members *
  • 30145 posts

Posted 26 September 2017 - 07:04 PM

View Posttreeduck, on 26 September 2017 - 06:57 PM, said:

View PostJohnnyBlaze, on 26 September 2017 - 06:56 PM, said:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Or a flea-bitten bloodhound.

He would!

A five-year mission is a long time for Kirk!

An overnite trip is a long time for Kirk!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: to hell with goodhell, JEDDIE LEE, Jedi Lee, Goodie Lee, goosie lee, goodhell lee, kinky lee, peart lee, alex lee

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users