Polarizing Movie Director Spotlight: Woody Allen

JohnnyBlaze

Woody Allen...a.k.a. The Lucas Tribute Thread Poll  

12 members have voted

1. 1. Which ones (if any) would you give a grade of A- or better?

• What's Up, Tiger Lily?
    • Take the Money and Run
    • Bananas
    • Everything You Always Wanted to Know About Sex* (*But Were Afraid to Sex)
    • Sleeper
    • Love and Death
    • Annie Hall
    • Interiors
    • Manhattan
    • Stardust Memories
    • A Midsummer Night's Sex Comedy
    • Zelig
    • Broadway Danny Rose
    • The Purple Rose of Cairo
    • Hannah and Her Sisters
    • Radio Days
    • September
    • Another Woman
    • Crimes and Misdemeanors
    • Alice
    • Shadows and Fog
    • Husbands and Wives
    • Manhattan Murder Mystery
    • Bullets Over Broadway
    • Mighty Aphrodite
    • Everyone Says I Love You
    • Deconstructing Henry
    • Celebrity
    • Sweet and Lowdown
    • Small Time Crooks
    • The Curse of the Jade Scorpion
    • Hollywood Ending
    • Anything Else
    • Melinda and Melinda
    • Match Point
    • Scoop
    • Cassandra's Dream
    • Vicky Cristina Barcelona
    • (Other Not Listed)
    • None.
  2. 2. What do you think of Woody Allen as a director?

• He's my favorite director of all time!
    • He might not be my favorite but he's one of the all time greats that's for sure.
    • He's a good director for the most part. Better than many at least.
    • There are many better directors, but also many worse. He's likely in the middle of the pack.
    • A bit below average but he's not all bad I admit.
    • Really awful. One of the worse directors of all time!
    • HE'S THE WORST EVER! WHY DOES ANYONE LIKE HIS MOVIES?!!

http://www.woodyallenpages.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/07/xX3487nJ1n1Qrolu3Ko9k6U4nVp.jpg

One of the most prolific directors of all time but also one of the most polarizing of all time too.

If you like him, which movies of his are in your top 3?

If you've never seen any of his movies, why not?

If you don't like him, why not?

• Like 2

He's one of the greats, for sure. His films are hit and miss for me, but he's got gems that span his entire career. My top three from him are Zelig, Deconstructing Harry, and, of course, Manhattan.

Not listed is Midnight in Paris, which is pretty clever and very well done. I like his late series of films that feature cities - Barcelona, Paris, Rome - as a protagonist.

Woody Allen also has some of the best comedy lines ever written. On religion vs. science: "Between the pope and air conditioning, I'd choose air conditioning."

• Like 2

Appreciate the list as now I can say with certainty that I have never seen one of his movies. I had thought I hadn't but now am sure. Carry on...

Appreciate the list as now I can say with certainty that I have never seen one of his movies. I had thought I hadn't but now am sure. Carry on...

There are another half dozen plus movies that I didn't list because there are only 40 allowable options possible. But I doubt you've seen any of the others as they're from the last decade or so.

• Like 1

He's one of the greats, for sure. His films are hit and miss for me, but he's got gems that span his entire career. My top three from him are Zelig, Deconstructing Harry, and, of course, Manhattan.

Not listed is Midnight in Paris, which is pretty clever and very well done. I like his late series of films that feature cities - Barcelona, Paris, Rome - as a protagonist.

Woody Allen also has some of the best comedy lines ever written. On religion vs. science: "Between the pope and air conditioning, I'd choose air conditioning."

The only reason I didn't list those is because of the 40 option limit and I simply went in order with the list. The one I DID skip that's within his first 38 directed films was his segment in New York Stories.

Too right about the "some of the best comedy lines ever written" comment.

I'm not qualified to have an opinion. When I was an undergrad, I assumed it was cool to like Woody, so I forced myself to sit through a couple of flicks, but I don't think I made it through to the end. Much later, I checked out Sweet and Lowdown because it was a movie about a guitar player. I thought that one was great. Bought the soundtrack, too. Might spin that later. Edited by toymaker

I can't say that I have one favorite director, but I would put Woody in the Pantheon Of Greatest Filmmakers along with Hitch, Kubrick, Bergman, Kurosawa

The man is a genius .. He made films - he wrote them, he starred in them, he directed them ..... Even the films he did not write or direct but starred it - like The Front - are great ..

Up thru the 80s he was brilliant ... Manhattan Murder Mystery and Mighty Aphrodite are the last of his great films IMHO, and after that, there was a sharp decline .. And I am not familiar with his more recent films - the so called resurgence period of his career ..

I would not argue GOAT

More from Deconstructing Harry:

Max's dark secret...

"Some bury, some burn...some eat."

The affair with his wife's patient...

"Supposing I told you my [screwing] Amy was a disguised plea for more closeness with you?"

Jane's crazy sister...

"Don't bullshit me, m***********! Who do you think you're talking to...one of those retarded talk show hosts?!?"

:LOL:

Edited by goose

Good to very good director and a very good to great writer. Not sure what an A- would be on a 10 point scale so I picked the movies I've rated 8 or better (no 10s) of which there were 11. Radio Days is probably my favourite overall. Edited by Rushian King

Good to very good director and a very good to great writer. Not sure what an A- would be on a 10 point scale so I picked the movies I've rated 8 or better (no 10s) of which there were 11. Radio Days is probably my favourite overall.

That's easy to calculate. An A+ would be a 10 and an F would be a 0. That would mean there's be a difference of ABOUT .83 for each bump up (or down). It'd work out like this...

A+ : 10

A : 9.17

A- : 8.34

B+ : 7.51

B : 6.68

B- : 5.85

C+ : 5.02

C : 4.19

C- : 3.36

D+ : 2.53

D : 1.7

D- : .87

F : 0

Good to very good director and a very good to great writer. Not sure what an A- would be on a 10 point scale so I picked the movies I've rated 8 or better (no 10s) of which there were 11. Radio Days is probably my favourite overall.

That's easy to calculate. An A+ would be a 10 and an F would be a 0. That would mean there's be a difference of ABOUT .83 for each bump up (or down). It'd work out like this...

I rate on IMDb, no 0, so it's actually pretty easy to calculate since they're 'even' numbers:

A+ = 10

A = 9.25

A- = 8.5

B+ = 7.75

B = 7

B- = 6.25

C+ = 5.5

C = 4.75

C- = 4

D+ = 3.25

D = 2.5

D- = 1.75

F = 1

So if I round the 8.5 for A- up to a 9 I'd be picking 4? movies. (I'd have to go back through my IMDb ratings to be exact) Radio Days, Annie Hall, Manhattan Murder Mystery and.... maybe it was only three '9s'. But then again an A- would actually range from half way to an A down to half way to a B+ which would be 8.125 which rounds down to an 8 so my original 11 choices rated 8 and up stand. (that's way too much thought and effort put into this)

Edited by Rushian King
  • Like 1

I've only seen a few of his films...Annie Hall (obviously) , Take the Money and Run,and Everything You Always Wanted to Know About Sex (But Were Afraid to Ask).

Honestly...I didn't even know he was a director :huh: I thought he just acted in them :wacko:

Edited by Your_Lion
  • Like 1

I rate on IMDb, no 0, so it's actually pretty easy to calculate since they're 'even' numbers:

A+ = 10

A = 9.25

A- = 8.5

B+ = 7.75

B = 7

B- = 6.25

C+ = 5.5

C = 4.75

C- = 4

D+ = 3.25

D = 2.5

D- = 1.75

F = 1

So if I round the 8.5 for A- up to a 9 I'd be picking 4? movies. (I'd have to go back through my IMDb ratings to be exact) Radio Days, Annie Hall, Manhattan Murder Mystery and.... maybe it was only three '9s'. But then again an A- would actually range from half way to an A down to half way to a B+ which would be 8.125 which rounds down to an 8 so my original 11 choices rated 8 and up stand. (that's way too much thought and effort put into this)

On a 1 to 10 scale, some movies deserve ZERO!

Lady in the Water, ZERO!

House of the Dead, ZERO!

Movies in that group are lucky I even acknowledged them enough to watch them in the first place!

That's the JBMDb scale!

If it's total crap, it gets ZERO! :P

:blaze:

:hail:

Edited by JohnnyBlaze
  • Like 1

I've only seen a few of his films...Annie Hall (obviously) , Take the Money and Run,and Everything You Always Wanted to Know About Sex (But Were Afraid to Ask).

Honestly...I didn't even know he was a director :huh: I thought he just acted in them :wacko:

If you like those three then you'd probably enjoy others of his around that same time.

I liked "Everything You..." but I enjoyed Manhattan and Sleeper even more.

Annie Hall, Manhattan, and Take the Money and Run would be my top 3.

• Like 2