Singles (1992)

JohnnyBlaze

Singles  

12 members have voted

1. 1. What grade would you give Singles?

• A+
    • A
    • A-
    • B+
    • B
    • B-
    • C+
    • C
    • C-
    • D+
    • D
    • D-
    • F
    • I've never seen it so I'm glad you gave me this option to pick because I really hate to be left out of things like this.
  2. 2. Which Singles character do you identify with the most?

• Janet Livermore (played by Bridget Fonda)..."You're from the High Plains"
    • Steve Dunne (Campbell Scott)..."The only man who can mix Elvis Costello and Public Enemy"
    • Linda Powell (Kyra Sedgewick)..."We will always go dancing"
    • Cliff Poncier (Matt Dillon)..."My name is 'Dick' and you can touch me"
    • Debbie Hunt (Sheila Kelley)..."These are the men...that want me"
    • Bailey (Jim True-Frost)..."20 NUMBERS!!!"
    • Dr. Jamison (Bill Pullman)..."I'm 34 years old and I don't know how to have fun"
    • [Other]

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-Ron9RM9wQK8/WHFUZO4ALmI/AAAAAAAAIW4/5bb9H2FXtJUp6DjVP4Jjudu1w929XQ9JgCLcB/s1600/Singles%2Bpic1%2B001.jpg

It's been 25 years and a few days since this was released.

What an enjoyable, well rounded movie. A colorful cast that's believable and relevant to any generation really. It holds up even today.

Back then, Cameron Crowe always seemed to manage to make romantic comedies not feel like romantic comedies, a plus in my book. And his soundtrack selection is out on top in this one. Additionally, the live concert footage of Alice in Chains and Soundgarden + the Pearl Jam members (as Citizen Dick) scenes add to the whole...scene.

On a personal note, 3-4 years after watching it, I was restless and wide-eyed enough at the time + influenced enough by Singles to split my home state of Florida and move to the Northwest (Portland) with no job prospects and a peasant's amount of bucks in my bank. It didn't matter. That move out west became the "2112" of my life. (Where I am now became my Moving Pictures, but that's another story.)

You guys know what I'm saying. :hail:

Check this movie out if you haven't already.

If you're like me, check it out for the hundredth time.

:blaze:

Edited by JohnnyBlaze

Lucas, here are the top 10 highest grossing films of '92:

1) Aladdin

2) The Bodyguard

3) Home Alone 2

4) Basic Instinct

5) Lethal Weapon 3

6) Batman Returns

7) A Few Good Men

8) Sister Act

9) Bram Stoker's Dracula

10) Wayne's World

That's a pretty sorry bunch for the most part.

I liked Aladdin, Sister Act is ok for a TV movie, Lethal Weapon 3 is forgettable, Basic Instinct is only good for Sharon Stone's ass, Batman Returns is only good for Michelle Pfeiifer's ass, A Few Good Men is only good for imitating Jack, I couldn't finish Home Alone 2 or Dracula or Wayne's World, and I refuse to watch The Bodyguard!

Suck!

There are other movies from '92 that are loads better than this batch of 10!

And Singles is one!

• Like 1

1) Aladdin

2) The Bodyguard

3) Home Alone 2

4) Basic Instinct

5) Lethal Weapon 3

6) Batman Returns

7) A Few Good Men

8) Sister Act

9) Bram Stoker's Dracula

10) Wayne's World

I liked Aladdin, Sister Act is ok for a TV movie, Lethal Weapon 3 is forgettable, Basic Instinct is only good for Sharon Stone's ass, Batman Returns is only good for Michelle Pfeiifer's ass, A Few Good Men is only good for imitating Jack, I couldn't finish Home Alone 2 or Dracula or Wayne's World, and I refuse to watch The Bodyguard!

Suck!

And Singles is one!

Other movies from '92 besides Singles that I enjoyed more than anything on that Top 10 list:

My Cousin Vinny

A League of Their Own

Unforgiven

Single White Female

Reservoir Dogs

The Muppet Christmas Carol

Last of the Mohicans

Scent of a Woman

The only one from that Top 10 list I'd even put with this group is Aladdin.

• Like 2

Cool music, but to tell you the truth, I haven't seen it since it came out. It was targeted at my generation but I don't remember liking it that much. I was going through a grunge phase at the time and I really liked Soundgarden and Pearl Jam.
  • Like 1

1) Aladdin

2) The Bodyguard

3) Home Alone 2

4) Basic Instinct

5) Lethal Weapon 3

6) Batman Returns

7) A Few Good Men

8) Sister Act

9) Bram Stoker's Dracula

10) Wayne's World

Suck!

And Singles is one!

Other movies from '92 besides Singles that I enjoyed more than anything on that Top 10 list:

My Cousin Vinny

A League of Their Own

Unforgiven

Single White Female

Reservoir Dogs

Last of the Mohicans

Scent of a Woman

Last of the Mohicans was awesome!

B minus today.

A minus back then.

I was in my band (we still play together even after all these years) at the time of this film. This was at the height of my musical life as far as giging, recording and trying to "make it". I loved the movie back then. The soundtrack to this day I still love.

The movie itself has aged badly though IMO. I still watch it sometimes when laying in bed (and baseball season is over) late at night, if it is on cable. Same with Reality Bites.....aged horribly. The early 90's were as cheesy as the 80's.

Matt Dillion's role was priceless though. Played such a non-talented hack, dumb ass......to perfection.

Edited by Todem
  • Like 1

1) Aladdin

2) The Bodyguard

3) Home Alone 2

4) Basic Instinct

5) Lethal Weapon 3

6) Batman Returns

7) A Few Good Men

8) Sister Act

9) Bram Stoker's Dracula

10) Wayne's World

Suck!

And Singles is one!

My Cousin Vinny

A League of Their Own

Unforgiven

Single White Female

Reservoir Dogs

Last of the Mohicans

Scent of a Woman

great list of films here. Strong stuff!!!

• Like 1

Cool music, but to tell you the truth, I haven't seen it since it came out. It was targeted at my generation but I don't remember liking it that much. I was going through a grunge phase at the time and I really liked Soundgarden and Pearl Jam.

Same here. It seems I should have loved the movie but I barely remember it.

it has more current meaning to me with Cornell's passing.

One of those movies where the soundtrack might be better than the movie.

Bridgett was FRESH back then. yowsaa.

Ha, my high school friend had a 66 biscayne rigged up with sound like that car that exploded.

Edited by HemiBeers
  • Like 1

Basic Instinct is only good for Sharon Stone's ass,

It was another part of her anatomy that was featured in that movie if I recall.

:pussy:

All of her anatomy was awesome in those days! Awesome enough to take up gynecological studies...well, for just an hour or two :P

What a dumb movie though.

• Like 1

B minus today.

A minus back then.

I was in my band (we still play together even after all these years) at the time of this film. This was at the height of my musical life as far as giging, recording and trying to "make it". I loved the movie back then. The soundtrack to this day I still love.

The movie itself has aged badly though IMO. I still watch it sometimes when laying in bed (and baseball season is over) late at night, if it is on cable. Same with Reality Bites.....aged horribly. The early 90's were as cheesy as the 80's.

Matt Dillion's role was priceless though. Played such a non-talented hack, dumb ass......to perfection.

Reality Bites was always at least a few rungs below Singles anyway. It had Ben Stiller after all. How good could it have been?!

And actually, it's probably one of the very very few Stiller movies I've enjoyed at some level. I haven't seen that in years but I'd likely give it a C+ or B-.

What angle of Singles do you think hasn't aged well? The dialogue? Costumes? Music?

Right on with the Matt Dillon Cliff role..."We're big in Belgium"