Star Wars VIII: The Last Jedi Official Thread

Nate2112

Star Wars hasn’t been really good since the original run. Of course we hold out hope that somehow they might recapture some of the magic of the first three.

Didn't like Rogue One or Force Awakens?

How can it truly recapture the magic of the originals? It's not 1977-1983 ((and I'm not 5-11 years old)) anymore.

I'll say this, Force Awakens and Rogue One destroy the prequels and the Star Trek parallel universe reboot flicks. And I did enjoy Rogue One (at least) a little more than Return of the Jedi.

I’m not talking magic in the childish sense, I mean innovative and well written. Rogue One was much better than TFA’s but still too many consistency issues.

Then lady you should've said that in the first place!

There's magic and then there's magic and then they actually had magic in the stories...or I guess that was The Force...which could've been considered magic but not that kind of magic :P

It's "A Kind Of Magic"

Love,

QUEEN

Think linear instead of literal.

When we first saw the Porg in the trailer, we thought it was some kind of space gerbil and their wings were their ears!

I'm not sure what I make of them at the mo. :unsure:

Apart from that, after seeing the trailer, I am really looking forward to seeing it. And it comes out 3 days before my birthday!

• Like 2

Apart from that, after seeing the trailer, I am really looking forward to seeing it. And it comes out 3 days before my birthday!

For your birthday present, Luke Skywalker is gonna turn to the Dark Side and slaughter everyone..... ;) ;)

• Like 1

For your birthday present, Luke Skywalker is gonna turn to the Dark Side and slaughter everyone..... ;) ;)

Of course not to the extreme that you're joking about, but is there some rumor going around that says Luke goes to the Dark Side?

All i can say despite the criticism. i loved and still love TFA. GREAT film. i watched it again the other day. However Rogue One has fallan out with me. (to slow for me....Characters i couldn't care less about)

Anyway. The point is i'm really exited about this one.

Mick

• Like 1

Of course not to the extreme that you're joking about, but is there some rumor going around that says Luke goes to the Dark Side?

I'm staying clear of all the spoilers and rumors. I loathe spoilers. I want to be totally surprised.

All i can say despite the criticism. i loved and still love TFA. GREAT film. i watched it again the other day. However Rogue One has fallan out with me. (to slow for me....Characters i couldn't care less about)

Mick

I love both of them. I wish that all the Star Wars films had been like Rogue One - more serious and adult, and also with some laughs, of course. None of this marketing-to-kids crap.

• Like 3

I'm staying clear of all the spoilers and rumors. I loathe spoilers. I want to be totally surprised.

I hear you. But there are so many rumors around that it's hard to avoid them sometimes. AND because there are so many around, it usually doesn't matter since most of it ends up being wrong.

I remember coming across one rumor before The Force Awakens opened which had Luke under the Kylo Ren mask. Another rumor had Anakin under the Kylo Ren mask. What?! How?! Yeah. Well, all wrong. And it ended up being revealed (quickly) who really was there.

• Like 1

Mick

I love both of them. I wish that all the Star Wars films had been like Rogue One - more serious and adult, and also with some laughs, of course. None of this marketing-to-kids crap.

Like the Porg? Yuck.

Mick

Like the Porg? Yuck.

I thought that BB-8 was going to be really lame, but it turned out to be great.

My confidence in the Porg is pretty low.....

• Like 1

Mick

Like the Porg? Yuck.

Everything in moderation. The assumption is that they're going to be like Ewoks or Jar Jar and in every scene, gratuitously....or have scenes crafted entirely around them. I prefer to actually see the film before fretting about it. It isn't George's silly sensibilities anymore, so there's hope.

Mick

We say that now. I was 8 when SW came out (the first one) and I was glad it was geared towards me. Problem is we grow up and we want the sensibilities to age with us. Hell, at this point -- to some -- anything less than Taxi Driver-level drama and mayhem is "kids stuff." :D I'm kinda glad the films have kept their gee-whiz quality. Makes me tap into some of that when I go see it. Not a bad thing to me. Now that doesn't mean it's always successfully done. Jar Jar was a turd and rolled out like he was the next coming of Charlie Chaplin. Fail. But the humor in The Force Awakens was more natural, tempered, and felt -- to me -- like the old Star Wars banter and sense of fun. I don't mind a "cute" character if handled properly or a silly moment if it's not eye-rolling.

Part of wanting SW to be "more serious" is wanting it to grow older with us. I'm a bit glad it has not.

• Like 1

Mick

We say that now. I was 8 when SW came out (the first one) and I was glad it was geared towards me. Problem is we grow up and we want the sensibilities to age with us. Hell, at this point -- to some -- anything less than Taxi Driver-level drama and mayhem is "kids stuff." :D I'm kinda glad the films have kept their gee-whiz quality. Makes me tap into some of that when I go see it. Not a bad thing to me. Now that doesn't mean it's always successfully done. Jar Jar was a turd and rolled out like he was the next coming of Charlie Chaplin. Fail. But the humor in The Force Awakens was more natural, tempered, and felt -- to me -- like the old Star Wars banter and sense of fun. I don't mind a "cute" character if handled properly or a silly moment if it's not eye-rolling.

Part of wanting SW to be "more serious" is wanting it to grow older with us. I'm a bit glad it has not.

I say it now and I said it in 1977. I was 16 when Episode IV was released. My science fiction training began in the late 60's with Star Trek, The Outer Limits and The Twilight Zone. I was already into hard core science fiction novels, so all the childish aspects of the Star Wars films didn't really interest me. I was easily seduced by the idea of warping thru the galaxy and exploring strange, new worlds.

I also grew up in a fairly conservative Catholic family and community, so the religious/mystical aspects of Star Wars appealed to me a great deal. This was a religion I could accept! No authoritarian deities to obey; just a universal Force that didn't discriminate or play favorites. It was up to the believer to choose Good or Evil.

I've tolerated or ignored the kid's stuff from the very beginning. I've never let it completely ruin my enjoyment of any Star Wars film, although The Phantom Menace came close! :D All the great aspects of the Star Wars films keep me coming back for more!

I'm a huge Star Wars fan and I'm dreading Episode VIII. Mark Hamill has been very outspoken about Ryan Johnson's shocking portrayal of Luke Skywalker. Luke brought down The Empire, now they're going to smear the legacy of one of the great cinematic heroes of all time. And it never sat well with me how they bumped off Han Solo. I know Harrison Ford is a prima donna and demanded to be killed off, but Han Solo was a character archetype that shouldn't have died this way. He should have died in the Falcon going on a suicide run to save everyone--but Disney wants to keep merchandising the Falcon (can't blame 'em there). He should have been reunited with Luke before he died too.

I'm skeptical of the new trilogy as the bandwagon haters were of the prequels (except the prequels were totally under appreciated and smeared by a behind the scenes political campaign most people don't comprehend). I really liked many aspects off The Force Awakens, going into it with much reticence, and really hope I don't come out of The Last Jedi wanting to go Travis Bickel on Ryan Johnson, but I'm worried...

Mick

Like the Porg? Yuck.

Chewie snacks . . .

• Like 1

Mick

Like the Porg? Yuck.

Chewie snacks . . .

Chewie Chewie Dooooo.....!!

• Like 1

I'm a huge Star Wars fan and I'm dreading Episode VIII. Mark Hamill has been very outspoken about Ryan Johnson's shocking portrayal of Luke Skywalker. Luke brought down The Empire, now they're going to smear the legacy of one of the great cinematic heroes of all time. And it never sat well with me how they bumped off Han Solo. I know Harrison Ford is a prima donna and demanded to be killed off, but Han Solo was a character archetype that shouldn't have died this way. He should have died in the Falcon going on a suicide run to save everyone--but Disney wants to keep merchandising the Falcon (can't blame 'em there). He should have been reunited with Luke before he died too.

I'm skeptical of the new trilogy as the bandwagon haters were of the prequels (except the prequels were totally under appreciated and smeared by a behind the scenes political campaign most people don't comprehend). I really liked many aspects off The Force Awakens, going into it with much reticence, and really hope I don't come out of The Last Jedi wanting to go Travis Bickel on Ryan Johnson, but I'm worried...

I agree with your Han comments but the prequel stuff?!

"bandwagon haters?!" Jar Jar was hated because he sucked. People didnt need to get on a bandwagon to hate him. I hated little Ani on first viewing. I disliked the overly cgi stuff on first viewing too. Darth Maul was a piece of acrobatic meat and nothing more.

Oh, BEFORE the prequels came out, I don't know anyone that wasn't either excited about it OR was never interested in Star Wars in the first place. There wasn't a Star Wars fan I knew who wasn't pumped to see it. Of course, many weren't satisfied after they saw it though...but because of bandwagon hate or political reasons? Highly questionable on the latter especially

Edited by JohnnyBlaze
  • Like 1

"bandwagon haters?!" Jar Jar was hated because he sucked. People didnt need to get on a bandwagon to hate him. I hated little Ani on first viewing. I disliked the overly cgi stuff on first viewing too. Darth Maul was a piece of acrobatic meat and nothing more.

Oh, BEFORE the prequels came out, I don't know anyone that wasn't either excited about it OR was never interested in Star Wars in the first place. There wasn't a Star Wars fan I knew who wasn't pumped to see it. Of course, many weren't satisfied after they saw it though...but because of bandwagon hate or political reasons? Highly questionable on the latter especially

I hate Jar Jar too and Anakin should have been introduced in Episode I as an older teenager and been the same actor all along--but the storyline was great in Ep1--and the overall story arc for the trilogy was cool too; albeit poorly paced. I didn't know anyone who hated the prequels when they came out--just later they decided to hate them. I know sometimes it takes awhile for movies to 'set in', and many of peoples' comlaints are valid: Jar Jar sucks, little Ani sucks, the CGI (particularly in Ep2) was way too artificial looking, etc., but I don't think the preqeuels deserved the outright lambasting bloggers gave them in the subsequent years. And as far as the 'behind the scenes' political reasons, I wouldn't believe me either, and I'm not gonna bother explaining them at this time. In short, I'm still glad George made the prequels; the storylines were good, the villains were great, Obiwan was cool, a lot of the environments were new and interesting, and you finally got to see real Jedis in action, but there were definitely shitty aspects too (obviously). The original trilogy will never be touched.
  • Like 1

I can't wait for the new Star Wars Park to open in Disneyland! Really! So excited!

Hoping to have a Porg barbecued sandwich for lunch! Yummy!

Last year my son and I went to Disney World and Hollywood Studios was well into being converted. Lots of storm troopers all about. The Lad had a blast.

I hate Jar Jar too and Anakin should have been introduced in Episode I as an older teenager and been the same actor all along--but the storyline was great in Ep1--and the overall story arc for the trilogy was cool too; albeit poorly paced. I didn't know anyone who hated the prequels when they came out--just later they decided to hate them. I know sometimes it takes awhile for movies to 'set in', and many of peoples' comlaints are valid: Jar Jar sucks, little Ani sucks, the CGI (particularly in Ep2) was way too artificial looking, etc., but I don't think the preqeuels deserved the outright lambasting bloggers gave them in the subsequent years. And as far as the 'behind the scenes' political reasons, I wouldn't believe me either, and I'm not gonna bother explaining them at this time. In short, I'm still glad George made the prequels; the storylines were good, the villains were great, Obiwan was cool, a lot of the environments were new and interesting, and you finally got to see real Jedis in action, but there were definitely shitty aspects too (obviously). The original trilogy will never be touched.

Midiclorins. I thought the Force was supposed to be all around us. And with one stupid word it became...DNA(?). What else? Adult Anakin was neither scary nor believable. Too much cgi too. Later, Sam Jackson as a Jedi?! Come on! That did NOT work. But I did like Obi and Qui-Gon.

I don't know how old you are but in the late 90s I was in my late 20s and everyone I knew (around that age and older) didn't like it...though most admitted to liking the pod race and Maul fight scene. But other than that, there wasn't much positive feedback from folks I knew. None of us were really into online forums or blogging so there was no bandwagoning dislike in that regard.

Edited by JohnnyBlaze
  • Like 1

I can't wait for the new Star Wars Park to open in Disneyland! Really! So excited!

Hoping to have a Porg barbecued sandwich for lunch! Yummy!

Last year my son and I went to Disney World and Hollywood Studios was well into being converted. Lots of storm troopers all about. The Lad had a blast.

Sadly I am ahead of you with family.

Interesting to note I jut watched "Escape From Tomorrow" tonight with the director commentary.

Dude, I've gone to Disneyland every year since I was 6.

I took my ex and girls to Disneyland every year in the winter.

I've done the entire Universal Disney Wold Parks with my girls, ex and all of her family. All divorced now. Very sad.

I get it.

Johnny my ex brother in law who I still love had a beer at ever Beers Of The World.

We were fuckking hammered by the time Fantasia was fired up! It was done in pouring rain.

Everyone was miserable and crying. The kids that is.

I was in Heaven, but yeah man. Sorry!

Perhaps because I've been a brainwashed Disney guy for 46 years it was nice to see a movie that rips on the bullshit Happiest Place On Earth!

It's not about me and my opinion.

I am happy for you

Glad your family loves it.

I am fuckkin done.

I've even been very blessed to take my ex wife and kids to Club 33 in Disneyland.

It's not who you blow, it's who you know man.

All soccer related.

Some soccer parents of our friends worked for Chevron. BOOM!

Membership to Club 33

Three families went to Club 33 a day before Thanksgiving.

Saw the glass elevator.

Drank beer in Disney's bird and butterfly room. Beautiful.

Amazing time.

Yet I get it man.

Sometimes life isn't so great for others in theme parks.

Star Wars Park seems really horrible.

But they will gross millions of dollars.

"Escape From Tomorrow" is one of the greatest films ever made.

For me?

I'm just one guy in billions of humans.

I have a love/hate relationship with Disney.

That's life baby.

I will NOT return for many years.

I will go to sleep every night and cherish my memories at Disney Theme Parks when I was a kid with my parents and when I was a happy go lucky husband to a woman I loved with our two amazing incredible daughters!!!

Walt Disney is a wonderful American.

But even if he knew what was going on in his parks he would implode with disgrace.

JMO

Thank God for "Escape From Tomorrow."

Hell,

I don't want to wake up either and "Face The Day."

Love,

GREAT WHITE

That's a metaphor for corporate whorism.

Yeah, I'm insane.

Just wait for my movie.

Midiclorins. I thought the Force was supposed to be all around us. And with one stupid word it became...DNA(?). What else? Adult Anakin was neither scary nor believable. Too much cgi too. Later, Sam Jackson as a Jedi?! Come on! That did NOT work. But I did like Obi and Qui-Gon.

I don't know how old you are but in the late 90s I was in my late 20s and everyone I knew (around that age and older) didn't like it...though most admitted to liking the pod race and Maul fight scene. But other than that, there wasn't much positive feedback from folks I knew. None of us were really into online forums or blogging so there was no bandwagoning dislike in that regard.

Midiclrorins?

Is this a metaphor for the Clorox Corporation?

Yet another film franchise that is only after a profit.

Disneyland and Lucasfilm.

Billion Dollar Babies. Gonna make trillions!

"Only Women Bleed."

Signed,

ALICE COOPER

Midiclrorins?

Is this a metaphor for the Clorox Corporation?

Yet another film franchise that is only after a profit.

Disneyland and Lucasfilm.

Billion Dollar Babies. Gonna make trillions!

"Only Women Bleed."

Signed,

ALICE COOPER

Hey Earl, are you saying you forgot about the midiclorin bs?

Their profit but doesn't bother me. Of course they want that.

They can make their crazy profit off the movies and toys and still have enjoyable films WITHOUT bs midiclorins, crappy child actors, Jar Jar, and other easy to identify rubbish. Force Awakens and Rogue One showed that.