Gentle Giant

Relayer2112

I just discovered Gentle Giant on youtube about two weeks ago and had to go out and get some of their stuff. I've got "Acquiring the Taste", "Interview" and "Playing the Fool" so far. Does anyone else here enjoy this band? I think some of their stuff sounds like Kansas and/or Genesis, though their influences seem a little more classical and slightly jazz oriented at times.
  • Like 6

A bizarre little band!

I quite like "Three Friends" and the self-titled debut.

"In a Glass House" and "Freehand" are also quite good.

Their last album, "Civilian", is one that I really like although it's more "poppy" than "proggy".

There's some great stuff on "Octopus" too. Including this trippy little ditty:

xylophone solo!

Have fun listening to and investigating these guys! Ray Shulman is an amazing bassist.

• Like 3

Another band I should spend more time listening to. I have all their albums on a 2 terabyte external HD I copied from a friend. So many albums there, I don't think I'll go through all the files until I'm 80 years old!
  • Like 1

I've got "Acquiring the Taste", "Interview" and "Playing the Fool" so far.

It's cool that you've started off with Acquiring the Taste and Interview. A lot of people consider those to be two of Gentle Giant's "most challenging" records. I enjoy all of their albums, especially The Power and the Glory, Free Hand, and Octopus. Giant for a Day is by far their worst, but even that one has some decent stuff on it.

Ray Shulman is an amazing bassist.

He really is.

Their last album, "Civilian", is one that I really like although it's more "poppy" than "proggy".

I like that one too. Gary Green's rhythm work is heavier and more prominent than on other Giant albums.

• Like 3

I started with those two studio albums because I love the songs "Black Cat" from Acquiring and "I Lost My Head" from Interview. The live album I got because of the live versions of "Excerpts from Octopus" and "On Reflection" with the wonderful acoustic "back and forth" between Gary and Ray.

They were such a unique band with quite a wild variety of styles and instrumentation.

I know they're not a new band by a long shot (they disbanded in 1980), but just having a new band (to my ears) to explore is a great thing.

I can certainly see why there were not successful commercially for the most part (which is ultimately the reason they broke up), but they did provide a lot of tremendous music while they were around.

• Like 2

I started with those two studio albums because I love the songs "Black Cat" from Acquiring and "I Lost My Head" from Interview. The live album I got because of the live versions of "Excerpts from Octopus" and "On Reflection" with the wonderful acoustic "back and forth" between Gary and Ray.

Playing the Fool is one of my favorite live albums by any band. The acoustic stuff is splendid. And I particularly like the Advent of Panurge section of the Excerpts run--it sounds so much heavier than the album version.

They were such a unique band with quite a wild variety of styles and instrumentation.

Definitely a unique band. The one good GG imitator I've heard is Yezda Urfa with their Sacred Baboon album. I think Giant fans might find a lot to like on that record.

• Like 2

Playing the Fool is one of my favorite live albums by any band. The acoustic stuff is splendid. And I particularly like the Advent of Panurge section of the Excerpts run--it sounds so much heavier than the album version.

Definitely a unique band. The one good GG imitator I've heard is Yezda Urfa with their Sacred Baboon album. I think Giant fans might find a lot to like on that record.

I'll have to check that out. I never thought I'd find another progressive band that I liked beyond the obvious ones (and I don't like bands like Porcupine Tree for some reason, this fact almost got me throttled at a recent Steve Hackett concert). I was pleasantly surprised by GG and may well be again.

As far as GG is concerned...it became obvious to me pretty quickly that they were a lot more than meets the eye in a live setting. Some of those live arrangements are so freak'n cool.

• Like 2

One of my faves. The climactic end to a very cool album:

Deceptively groovy. Love the mellotron/organ combo.

Such a weird, corkscrew-y riff that takes almost 40 seconds to repeat, and is all over the place time/phrase wise.

Who the hell thinks of something like that? And then learns to play it? :wtf:

KInda reminds me of a non-diatonic Beefheart, if that makes any sense.

• Like 2

I know they're not a new band by a long shot (they disbanded in 1980), but just having a new band (to my ears) to explore is a great thing.

I can certainly see why there were not successful commercially for the most part (which is ultimately the reason they broke up), but they did provide a lot of tremendous music while they were around.

Side 1 of Acquiring the Taste is very nice for the ears.

The harmonies in Pantagruel's Nativity; the rather creepy and autumnal Edge of Twilight; the guitar finally letting loose on House/Street/Room; there's some great musical tension here [in a good way]. And the arrangements are all well done too.

And yet-another fine Tony Visconti production!

• Like 2

As far as GG is concerned...it became obvious to me pretty quickly that they were a lot more than meets the eye in a live setting. Some of those live arrangements are so freak'n cool.

Yep, GG did some really interesting and entertaining things with their live arrangements.

One of my faves. The climactic end to a very cool album:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tWKMyxrHc1k

And Prologue is a rockin' opening track.

I'm familiar with the live Octopus stuff, not so much the studio version.

Octopus is excellent. Side 1 alone has three of my favorite Gentle Giant tunes (Raconteur Troubadour, A Cry for Everyone, and Knots).

• Like 2

Despite the fact they aren't played on the radio these days and never had big hits they were and actually are one of the major bands in the prog rock genre especially once you get past the most obvious bands. Octopus is my personal favorite but I think all their albums have something to offer especially the ones from before The Missing Piece. Great band and very unique even for prog.
  • Like 2

Despite the fact they aren't played on the radio these days and never had big hits they were and actually are one of the major bands in the prog rock genre especially once you get past the most obvious bands. Octopus is my personal favorite but I think all their albums have something to offer especially the ones from before The Missing Piece. Great band and very unique even for prog.

I've found something I love (upon quick listen) on just about every album I've checked out except for "Giant for a Day". I absolutely adore "Memories of Old Days" from The Missing Piece and I think Civilian has a lot to offer also.

• Like 2

Check out The Power And The Glory. I wasn't enthralled but my dad loved it, so it's probably pretty good.

I've heard that many fans consider that one their best. I gave it a quick listen and nothing jumped out at me in particular, but I'll have to give it another try.

I've found something I love (upon quick listen) on just about every album I've checked out except for "Giant for a Day".

Yeah, there isn't much to love on that album. It has quite a few "okay" tunes as well as my least favorite Gentle Giant song by far, the title track. I do like Words from the Wise and Rock Climber a lot.

I absolutely adore "Memories of Old Days" from The Missing Piece

I'm a big fan of The Missing Piece. Memories of Old Days is great. So is As Old as You're Young.

Check out The Power And The Glory. I wasn't enthralled but my dad loved it, so it's probably pretty good.

I've heard that many fans consider that one their best. I gave it a quick listen and nothing jumped out at me in particular, but I'll have to give it another try.

I'm one of those fans. Proclamation is my favorite Gentle Giant song. Cogs in Cogs and Playing the Game are up there as well. I really like how the band handled the concept (the rise and fall of a leader).

• Like 1

I've found something I love (upon quick listen) on just about every album I've checked out except for "Giant for a Day".

Yeah, there isn't much to love on that album. It has quite a few "okay" tunes as well as my least favorite Gentle Giant song by far, the title track. I do like Words from the Wise and Rock Climber a lot.

I absolutely adore "Memories of Old Days" from The Missing Piece

I'm a big fan of The Missing Piece. Memories of Old Days is great. So is As Old as You're Young.

I'm one of those fans. Proclamation is my favorite Gentle Giant song. Cogs in Cogs and Playing the Game are up there as well. I really like how the band handled the concept (the rise and fall of a leader).

Is it just me, or were they trying to sound like The Knack on the song Giant for a Day? Looking back, they've got to be embarrassed by that one. Luckily, I think Civilian redeemed them a bit before they were done for good.

• Like 1

I must really be weird because I dig GFAD more than Missing Price or Civilian. None of them are among their best though. Stick with everything up until the live album.

Octopus is my fave but its all really good imo. Advent of Panurge will get stuck in my head for a whole day ;)