Guitar Bridge Action & Tuning Issues

Nate2112

So, my electric has been sitting away in my attic and I had brought it down a few days ago to notice that after tuning, the bottom of my bridge is at an angle. It's like it rose while the front of it is in place. This of course doesn't let me tune it right, and the action is all screwed up and I get constant fretbuzz around the 12th - 14th frets on the G, B and E strings. Does anyone know of any good tutorials, or even if you've got the time, how to fix the damn thing? Not sure if it's the bridge that's the issue or the low action, which makes the tremolo bar useless because it's hanging waaaaay too low on the body, so I can't use it without it hitting the strings. It's a mess I know, I haven't touched it in years, unaware how this even happened.

I can get pictures when I get home. Cheers!

If the attic is unfinished the guitar is probably ruined by excessive temperature change. These are delicate instruments and need to be stored correctly. Not sure what type it is but a qualified luthier can give you an opinion. It’s possible adjusting the bridge or truss rod might help correct it.
  • Like 1

Bridge looks a little pitted. Looks like a standard fender style floater. Comments on your pic about springs might be right on. I would still take it to a luthier. See if they can clean it up, refloat the bridge, and get a setup with strings of your choice.

Yeah with that type of bridge it’s a balance between the string and spring tension. There are a lot of tutorial videos on YouTube about setting up that type of bridge.

https://imgur.com/gallery/GDNjl

The attic was finished by the way, so it was in good condition there. The guitar is an AXL Badwater SRO. Not the highest degree but still good for home recording.

Could be that one (or more) of the trem's springs is busted. Or maybe you recently strung it with a higher string gauge, or have tuned it somewhat sharp?

Edited by JARG

https://imgur.com/gallery/GDNjl

The attic was finished by the way, so it was in good condition there. The guitar is an AXL Badwater SRO. Not the highest degree but still good for home recording.

Could be that one (or more) of the trem's springs is busted. Or maybe you recently strung it with a higher string gauge, or have tuned it somewhat sharp?

I doubt much of anything happened to it recently.