Very polarizing rock bands?

Texas King

1-bob-dylan-hair.jpg

i can see both of the artists you posted.

i think the Doors (aside from the first record) are pretentious drivel but they do have their fans.

And Dylan's a biggie, lol

Mick

I like Dylan a lot. Can’t think of a better lyricist.

I understand why he’s disliked though.

He is not disliked by critics at all.

True enough. However, even though I agree with them this time, critics and their opinions are as important to me as maggots in a garbage heap.

• Like 1

Lynyrd Skynyrd...

Partially because of their stereotypical fanbase, partly because classic rock radio has totally and completely (and continues to) beat them to !@#$ death every hour.

I used to like them.

Neal Young, for some of the same reasons. Lots of aging hippie fans here in Bellingham.

Interesting choice, Skynyrd. I would actually say they are one of the least polarizing bands. I've never heard anyone say they are their favorite band, and I've never heard anyone say they can't stand them.

• Like 2

Lynyrd Skynyrd...

Partially because of their stereotypical fanbase, partly because classic rock radio has totally and completely (and continues to) beat them to !@#$ death every hour.

I used to like them.

Neal Young, for some of the same reasons. Lots of aging hippie fans here in Bellingham.

Interesting choice, Skynyrd. I would actually say they are one of the least polarizing bands. I've never heard anyone say they are their favorite band, and I've never heard anyone say they can't stand them.

I think 1970s Lynyrd Skynrd is one of the greatest American bands ever. There is barely a misstep on those albums.

• Like 2

Lynyrd Skynyrd...

I used to like them.

I think 1970s Lynyrd Skynrd is one of the greatest American bands ever. There is barely a misstep on those albums.

I agree and they were trending upward when the crash occurred. Great music with fantastic lyrics.

Lynyrd Skynyrd...

I used to like them.

A top 10 band for me probably top 5.

They are polarizing in that their fan base is stereotyped as stupid rednecks. Somewhat rightly but the kicker is the were fairly liberal in their lyrics.

I am talking tunes like things going on.

Saturday night special is the strongest anti gun song i have ever heard.

Pretty sure ronnie is turning over in his grave given what the band has done as of late.

Lynyrd Skynyrd...

I used to like them.

They are polarizing in that their fan base is stereotyped as stupid rednecks. Somewhat rightly but the kicker is the were fairly liberal in their lyrics.

Pretty sure ronnie is turning over in his grave given what the band has done as of late.

I'm not being obtuse, but I guess I don't see how their fan base might be perceived makes the band polarizing. Is the point that some people think working class people from the South (which I'm not sure is even an accurate description of the fan base of a band that is all over classic rock radio) are beneath them so they don't like them? That they're politically conservative? I've just never heard someone say they're put off by Skynyrd's fans either. :huh:

• Like 1

Lynyrd Skynyrd...

I used to like them.

I'm not being obtuse, but I guess I don't see how their fan base might be perceived makes the band polarizing. Is the point that some people think working class people from the South (which I'm not sure is even an accurate description of the fan base of a band that is all over classic rock radio) are beneath them so they don't like them? That they're politically conservative? I've just never heard someone say they're put off by Skynyrd's fans either. :huh:

Well as of late they had been hanging with sean hannity . Nuff said

I think they are down to one original member? So its these guys who had nothing to with their sucess degrading skynyrds legacy. Imo

Besides i think you could describe freebird as a polarizing tune.

Green Day

among the general populace, no

but among music fans, yeah, by a lot. Green Day tend to be characterized as lame pop hacks with bad characters who put up a punkish image and their tiny little bit of original punk cred to try to make it with the critics and snobs when they continuously sell out. I think that's an unfair viewpoint, as as far as I can tell, they're just a band who enjoy rocking out in a punkish kind of manner and writing poppy songs with catchy hooks and sort of angsty, snot-nosed lyrics (or more political or personal stuff in this century). Yeah they aren't the most original group in the world, probably one of the less original ones really, but hey, so were early Led Zeppelin, and that hasn't stopped them from winning over the haters and becoming legends. I get not liking them for their unoriginality, and I can understand hating them for their very idiosyncratic unoriginality, but to deny that they've any talent as performers or songwriters is to make a mistake in my opinion. They've had two of the most culturally significant albums of the modern rock era, and plenty of other culturally significant songs outside of those records (most people my age and a bit older don't know the name, but they know Good Riddance (The Time Of Your Life) by heart and love the thing to death). Often their fans are characterized as just teens and preteens who are into semi-angsty pop-punk and emo because they're going through some kind of phase. I also think that's a really unfair assumption to make about so many people. Yeah, we get it, Green Day aren't the most original or authentic sounding band in the world, but blaming their popularity on the idea that their fans are all some kind of shallow "stans" with low musical knowledge or standards is a pretty insulting and pretentious position.

Sorry for the rant. I feel a fair bit of their hate is unwarranted.

Edited by Entre_Perpetuo

Lynyrd Skynyrd...

I used to like them.

I think they are down to one original member? So its these guys who had nothing to with their sucess degrading skynyrds legacy. Imo

I agree that there are plenty of people that don't appreciate the "southern rock" thing, and Skynyrd is the main representative of that genre. Sweet Home Alabama even references the tension in the "We heard old Neil put us down (Southern Man...)" line.

Lynyrd Skynyrd...

I used to like them.

I agree that there are plenty of people that don't appreciate the "southern rock" thing, and Skynyrd is the main representative of that genre. Sweet Home Alabama even references the tension in the "We heard old Neil put us down (Southern Man...)" line.

If you listen closely.

After they sing well i heard mr young sing about her..

Son of a bitch is whispered.

Lynyrd Skynyrd...

I used to like them.

If you listen closely.

I caught it on headphones.
  • Like 1

Lynyrd Skynyrd...

I used to like them.

If you listen closely.

I caught it on headphones.

Thanks for taking the time to listen.