New BCC (IV) - My initial impressions

Presto-digitation

So overall it's about what you've come to expect from BCC. Some super memorable moments where you just know they're nailing the groove and some bits that are a bit more pedestrian, all well played (as expected) and very listenable. No duds. I like track 2 (Over My Head) the least on a sole listen. I suspect that if you don't like this band, IV is not the cure and if you do like them, you'll be duly pleased. Lack of big choruses (Save Me, Cry Freedom, etc) is noticeable. But then again a song like Cold doesn't have one either and doesn't suffer from it. Not a bad thing, just clearly the songwriting didn't much lend itself to it. Sherinian plays a lot more piano this time and that was a nice treat. Still some Hammond organ work, so fear not. Some really solid bass work by Glenn. His singing is clearly his forte, but his bass stands out on several tracks here. Joe delivers expected goods. A few of the main riffs are a bit overly simplistic and could have a greater dynamism, but then that song gets followed up with one that blows your socks off. Pretty typical of BCC. The most unique cut is Joe's Last Song For My Resting Place, which has a real ethnic folk flavor. If you listen to Joe at all it's instantly recognizable. I will be curious to see how this song is received by BCC and Glenn fans who otherwise do NOT know Bonamassa's solo work. It might warrant some snark, but I love it. Early standouts are the aforementioned Joe track, The Cove, Sway, and When The Morning Comes.

Listen 2 coming soon!!

• Like 3

I still haven't gotten around to getting their 3rd album yet :unsure:

Afterglow was actually pretty good. I received it on knowing that the band had split on bad terms, so it kind of ruined it for me at the time. Having said that, the songs and performances are really good. And they have a song that totally rips off Tom Sawyer, so that's a big plus!

I still haven't gotten around to getting their 3rd album yet :unsure:

Afterglow was actually pretty good. I received it on knowing that the band had split on bad terms, so it kind of ruined it for me at the time. Having said that, the songs and performances are really good. And they have a song that totally rips off Tom Sawyer, so that's a big plus!

Yeah, it's underrated by fans. I know people who ardently DISLIKE it and I don't hear the qualitative drop to support that. I mean, yes, it's maybe not as good as the first two (certainly not the second in my book), but it wasn't some drastic left turn or insult. Some really cracking numbers on there for sure. The drawback was that the mood was distant and sour and maybe that showed some. But this band is better than most on their worst day.

There is definitely a more cohesiveness on IV I will tell you. I'll leave it to you to determine if the songs are worthwhile or not, ultimately, but they definitely were playing and writing in healthier head space and it shows.

BCCIV is a very natural and very good addition to their catalogue. New broken ground? Eh, very little. The Joe-penned song is very different for them, but that aside it's pretty much what you expect. But that approach has been good enough so far, so why not still...?

Edited by Presto-digitation